Author Topic: Mercrestor  (Read 7294 times)

Offline GT

• 1972 GT-150
Mercrestor
« on: September 20, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
I am disappointed to report yet another bad experience with Mercrestor. Every business has issues at times but the tone they take with customers can usually salvage the relationship.  Unfortunately, Mercrestor has an attitude that the customer is stupid, the problem their fault and Mercrestor is impeccable. Case in point: A Merc was purchased and upon installation, the T/T leaked down. The customer was told to replace an obsolete bleed screw and one would be provided. Later, Mercrestor rescinded their offer and told the customer that it was their fault and they would would have to replace the part at their own cost. After the part was replaced, the motor continued to leak down. It was then the customers responsibility to remove the pump and ship it back to Mercrestor for examination and possible replacement. At this point the cost of removing/installing the replacement pump and the shipping expenses outweighed the inconvenience of the motor leaking down over night. One would think a $4300 motor would be tested thoroughly prior to release or at least the defective part would include the cost of r/r. Mercrestor, does not, as they state, cover any labor charges while the motor is under warranty. This means if the motor completely fails, the buyer will face all labor to make the repair. Based on this warranty practice, I cannot recommend Mercrestor. Interestingly, this same T/T problem was experienced by another CGOAMN club member on their new Mercrestor unit. Some of this could be forgiven but the rude emails and attitude of Mercrestor soured the entire experience. I'm sorry to report that there are now three members with bad experience in dealing with Mercrestor.   
1972 Glastron GT-150 with 1983 90 hp Merc
1978 Glastron GT-150 (parts)

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
  • 1977 SSV 176 1989 CV 23
Re: Mercrestor
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on this supplier!
1977 SSV-176 / '85 115 Merc. - Mine
1989  CV 23 / 350 - 270hp - Kelly's
1968 V-174 / '73 140 I/O - Gifted to Son
1971 Seaking 14' / 1958 Evenrude 7.5 - Gifted to Grandson

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:51:09 AM »
Mark (catchnedge) bought a 115 HP Merc for his V-166 from them back in 2011 and the motor experienced problems.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline GT

• 1972 GT-150
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »
I will say that the motor during break-in has run perfectly. However, the warranty is a concern. A rebuilt motor done by a certified Mercury dealer would come with a complete warranty including parts and labor should something fail. The member with the leaking T&T had spent $800 for the base motor, $4300 in the restoration plus two 700 mile round trips to Mercrestor in Milwaukee. That's a huge investment and risk with only a parts warranty. 
1972 Glastron GT-150 with 1983 90 hp Merc
1978 Glastron GT-150 (parts)

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »
Concur with gt, I also don't recommend Mercrestor... I think I'm one of the three individuals that he referenced, that had issues with a remanufactured motor from them.  I purchased a remanufactured Merc 115, here is my .02

First, the overall finish was impeccable... except the lower unit paint, which was of poor quality and didn't hold up to the least amount of transom saver use... I had to constantly tough up with a rattle can. The lower unit looked horrible after a short time.

Second, it is my opinion he does not properly test the parts or motor itself after finished, or inspect many of the old parts he uses on these motors as stated... a) the trim switch on my controls was obviously worn out from the start and did not work properly.  He did send me a new one, which I installed and it worked fine after that. That could have been avoided had he even looked at it. b) the tilt/trim bled down on me overnight as it did with the motor gt mentioned.  I lived with it due to cost issues as stated above.

Third, on the 9th hour of a 10 hr break-in process, the motor bogged down on me and would not advance about idle. After traveling 2.5hrs to a mechanic that I trust to fix the problem, it turned out that the stator was bad.  I had a nightmare trying to work with MercRestor to get any warranty support.  After struggling over this with multiple phone calls with myself and him talking to my mechanic even (i.e. the attitude issue mentioned above), I was able to get him to at least agree to cover the cost of just the part (stator).  However, he only sent me what "HE" could get the part for (it was ridiculous low), which was half of what I paid for the part myself... and got it at a decent price and drove 20 miles to pick it up myself.  So, all the travel, labor, and most of the part was on me.  Not anything like what the warranty stated.

In the final analysis for me, the motor was strong and ran great, but had some issues with it that cost me some bucks, well above the initial large investment.  One of the reasons I bought the motor from him, was that I thought I would "know what I have" and avoid a lot of these issues.  It didn't turn out that way and I will never purchase another from him, nor do I recommend this to anyone else.

Just my .02
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline mercRestor

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »
Just wanted to respond to Mr. GT's negative comments about my company. People are entitled to say what they want about our product and we hope they are good things but when negative comments get put to print we feel the need to respond.
Mercrestor takes great pride in the motors that we remanufacture.  The Motors are GREAT MOTORS and I challenge anyone to find similar motors with a higher level of craftsmanship and attention to the details.   
Mr. GT bought this motor from one of my customers who was in dire need to sell.  Mr GT had full knowledge that there was an issue with the Trim and purchased the motor for over $2500 less than what he would have paid had he bought the motor direct from us and he demanded that the warranty be transferred to him as part of the deal with my customer.   In an effort to help my original customer I agreed to transfer the warranty.  I even extended the warranty beyond the six months.  I was willing to honor my warranty but Mr. GT elected not to use it. 
Mercrestor has successfully remanufactured and sold over 130 of these Awesome Mercury in-line 6 motors and as with every business we try to please all of our customers and that has been the result for the vast majority of our transactions.  Mr. GT states the motor ultimately runs great and I am sorry he feels the way he does.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
mercRestor:

Here's my response to the posts you've flagged:

As a forum moderator, it is not our job to broker resolutions between a business and their customers.  Please take it up directly with them.
Thank you & Merry Christmas.

(This thread is now closed.  Feel free to contact me directly regarding this matter going forward.)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:10:46 AM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »
As a follow up to this thread, and for our members.

Over the last couple of months, this thread has been repeatedly flagged by our new & now former member 'mercRestor'.  The reasons have ranged from accusing GT & catchnedge of posting "lies and heresay", to an outright accusation of conspiracy.

"This post is full of lies and false information. I beleive this poster, Catchnedge and the other poster, GT, are trying to smear my company's good name. These posts are showing up near the top of a google search for mercrestor which is my company."

Those are his direct quotes, spelling error & all, unedited...

His only goal is to remove our members honest & accurate feedback from Google's search results.  (This thread shows up right underneath his website when googling MercRestor.)  So that their reviews & feedback won't be found online, keeping in mind that they also had good things to say about his work as well.

I think that speaks volumes.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide who you do business with, not the moderators of the club website, nor are we here to clean up his poor customer service mess with his customers.  Amazing how saving a couple bucks on a replacement stator or a bleed valve are the difference between great reviews and what has been discussed here.

mercRestor has been banned from the forums going forward, and I'm very saddened to have taken that action.  I felt his response in this thread was well worded and very appropriate.

However, since joining, it has become abundantly clear that his only motivation was to get this thread deleted. 

Thanks for reading...I needed to vent.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:34:33 AM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700