Author Topic: Asking for Any Information Regarding Stolen Truck  (Read 5134 times)

Offline bellj

Asking for Any Information Regarding Stolen Truck
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:36:39 AM »
Hi All! I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't been able to spend as much time on this forum for over a year now and the timing of your annual event that my family enjoyed so much just hasn't matched up with our available time the last few years - but the people that we've met at past events that we were able to attend were great and we have lots of fond memories that we hope to add to someday again.

If I may, and hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules, I'd like to ask for your help totally unrelated to normal Glastron topics. Even though it's a long shot, we're asking for any information anybody may have seen or might run across regarding a truck that was stolen the night of February 25th 2017 from where it was parked for many years at my family's old farm. Even though it was an old truck, it was still in undamaged by salt condition. A lot of you are from more populous areas where something like this could have been taken - so if you have or ever do see this truck and/or you happen to recognize the "scout truck" and person, please do us a favor and contact our local Wood County Sheriff’s Office (http://woodcountysheriffsdepartment.com/crimestopper.php) or submit a tip through http://www.woodcountycrimestoppers.com/.

The complete video is on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjRuDC1l1s&t=17s

Thanks in advance!

Jim, Patti, and Samantha
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Asking for Any Information Regarding Stolen Truck
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
Wow. That's too bad. At least you got video of it. Seems like it would have to be someone somewhat local. I guess think of the reasons someone would steal it.

1. Sell as whole or Part out: I'd set up search notifications on craigslist and ebay for F250's under both parts and cars and see if something pops up.

2. Scrap. You need a title to scrap a car but if it looks old and it's been sitting a while you don't. But you still need to fill out a bill of sale with the scrap yard. Call near by scrap yards and see if anyone has scrapped your truck or for them to keep an eye out. I know there is a big one in Eau Claire called Toys. It's all documented by VIN and the drivers license of who scrapped it.

3. Demo derby or other type of race truck. Those old 3/4 Fords are pretty desirable for demolition derbies and a solid one like that definitely is. Might want to check with some local county fairs maybe even walk the pits as the same super duty pulling it into from your yard will likely pull it into the pits. The aftermarket rims on the super duty will be it's giveaway.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:21:21 PM »
That stinks Jim!  I would agree that those rims are going to be a dead giveaway.  Hope you can find the criminal(s) that did it.

I was actually going to reach out...10th Anniversary meet coming up.  Love to have you and the family there this year!

Best wishes on its recovery.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 04:51:30 PM »
I agree w/Jason that whoever took it is local.  They knew it was there for awhile. Probably drove by it all the time. Most likely sitting in a barn or pole shed not that far away from your farm. They like Fords maybe they took it for the body parts to fix their Ford mudder off-road truck.

I'd figure out what year that Ford Superduty is and then see if you can get a list of all similar trucks registered with in a 15 mile radius of your farm. That trailer they loaded it on is also a dead give away. Whoever owns it also owns a local excavating company or some type of construction business.

Could also post a picture in some of the nearby by towns of the guy & that Ford Superduty he climbed out of. Good chance someone will recognize either the person and/or truck.

Good luck, hope you get it back. People that steal other peoples stuff suck!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:19:11 PM by CVX Fever »
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
I agree, Post pictures of the truck and the guy at local gas stations, restaurants, bars, implement dealerships ect.  Someone is bound to know that superduty, especially with those rims.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
Their rig is well liked setup amongst scrappers.  18-20 foot tilt trailer with winch.  I assume no one is around the farm most of the time?  Looks like they stopped by, checked it out, found no one around, then came back to get it at night.  There are ways to lure the perp back out, but is it worth the effort. My burb was stolen from my driveway, stripped it, then abandoned it.  I kept an eye out for parts to surface for months, in the end it wasn't worth the effort.   Sorry to hear about it.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:25:32 PM »
That is a 2008-2010 Ford Super Duty F-250/F-350 Lariat. (only lariats came in two town black/tan.)

I like Kips idea of posting the pictures in local bars.....Or at least stop in and ask the owners if they recognize that truck.
Jason S.

Offline bellj

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your comments, advice, and well wishes. Yes, most of the possibilities people brought up we've already considered and agree with. Truck pulling (as well as demos) is a pretty prevalent sport in this area and it looks like the first guy appears to be a young guy looking more farmer type with a non-dually but fancy truck, so being fairly close by in the area being turned into a puller or something wouldn't be a huge stretch for the imagination. But on the flip-side, the speed and precision and equipment with which they loaded it up could point to professionals like scrappers too - so we're pretty much prepared for almost anything as a possibility. My daughter even thought she saw it driving on a local highway except that it had a topper - rather hard to believe except that seeing one that old is rather rare and I know she wasn't really close enough to get an accurate look...but if it somehow would have been - talk about hiding in plain sight!!   LOL

Something I didn't know about our truck was posted by someone on the Sheriff's website either last night or this morning: Telling you right now,most likely someone parted out that old Ford. Guys use the front axle out of it for a solid axle swap for 88-98 Chevy's. Those Ford axles are going for $1500 bucks a piece. Very sought after axles because they are high pinion. Ford only made this axle for 2 years,so its very rare.The guys you are looking for probably already parted it out and sold it.

We are hoping for the best and just asking everyone to keep their eyes open because you never know. While not ready to give up hope, it's a likely possibility our truck is permanently gone...but our greatest hope above all is that these guys are caught!

Thanks again!    :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:02:48 PM »
just seen this on CL

Not sure if its the same year as your truck. Thought it was interesting they are only selling the frame and parts not the body.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/pts/6000720349.html
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline bellj

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 03:56:21 PM »
Thanks for noticing that! Those look like different parts though. Ours was a '79 - which may or might not be different between model years - but we didn't have four wheel drive and I'm thinking those look like front axles with knuckles that only the four wheel drive models had. But you never know, so I appreciate you calling attention to it!

I noticed kind of a weird post that someone put on the sheriff's Facebook site also - almost like someone was trying to divert attention away (red instead of brown truck?) and make it look like a spoof (because I guarantee our truck picture was not on Craigslist before it was stolen unless someone came in our yard and took one to post without our knowing about it) - made us wonder if it wasn't someone who knows the crooks who posted it - but probably just coincidence. I don't have Facebook, so couldn't post myself, but I see some others kind of caught that too:

One Facebook post "Ok well first off the top picture has been on like Craigslist for months now. And that bottom picture could be anybody's red pretty truck. Doesn't really tell me if that was a person I live by" March 21 at 5:41am

2nd follow-up poster "Must you be so snarky?" March 21 at 4:19pm

3rd follow-up poster "They have cameras on the farm and if you look again you can see that "red pretty truck" is pulling up right behind the truck that was stolen. (you can see the back of the box in the lower left of the photo)" March 23 at 5:20pm

This whole thing has had an interesting effect on our family - instead of just a relaxing drive now even to the corner store, we all find ourselves noticing (and looking for) anything similar to any of the involved vehicles - kind of almost messes with your head because you can't just relax and take in the view it seems, you mind always automatically goes there! We did our daughters spring break in Ashland last week - I can't tell you how many times our heads snapped at oncoming trucks or trucks in parking lots - if I had checked each one for a match, we probably wouldn't be home yet. You tell yourself internally that the smart thing is to just let it go and let the investigators do their job - but you find yourself scanning anyway. It's a little different than only that typical "violated" feeling we experienced with a house break in many years ago.

Thanks!

Jim
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
A house break in too?! Oh man, hope you get some better luck soon.
Jason S.

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »

Ya, you have had a tough run here.  I probably wouldn't trust people either. 

One thing that might help is to make friends with your neighbors, even if you don't like them.  Well, at least you will have a common goal and that is to watch over each other's property.  It is important to let the neighbors know there are thieves in the area.  I can guarantee you his is not there first heist, or there last.  Everyone will come together to watch each other's property that I know will happen with a simple discussion.  I can tell you if I have strangers coming to the door selling something I will take a picture of the vehicle license plate before they leave, and I will make sure they see me doing it.  Any house thefts in the area for the next year and they know they will be questioned from the authorities on it. 

One hates to be suspicious but you have to be.  I've had tackle boxes and other fishing gear stolen out a boat, vandals, and until it happens to you one is pretty naive; we all are.  It is difficult to say what motivates individuals to blazingly steal but it is probably to pay for a drug habit. 

So, get to know your neighbors and tell them it is okay to be a bit nosy if they see strangers in the yard.

Best of luck

David
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline bellj

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 11:43:47 PM »
I appreciate the sentiments, but I better back up a moment before too many jump to a few conclusions that I didn't intend. When I mentioned "It's a little different than only that typical "violated" feeling we experienced with a house break in many years ago", the break in actually happened quite a few years ago.

For some reason, not sure if it's the highway or what, but that location did experience it's share of things during the years I grew up there, starting in the 60's when someone used the toilet while my parents were in the fields - probably just someone who was driving by and needed to use it, so nothing with criminal intent that we're aware of, but we learned to lock the house doors from then on. Not many years later after we built a machine shed and stored the car in it as a garage (ironically a former police car), my father went to get it ready one morning because we made monthly visits to visit my grandfather in Winona, and when he opened the door, there was a man standing there looking at him! Turned out it was a transient who slept in the car backseat because the grass was wet under our apple trees. While that was another incident without really a criminal intent, it does shake a person up and tend to change a person's precautionary locking habits.

Years later my mother made a bad mistake of leaving the keys in my car after moving it for what was supposed to be only a few moments while we were moving a few items...hours later it was stolen from that same driveway. There were later reports of a young boy walking that stretch of highway around the same time. I was lucky and got the car back after someone in Eau Claire complained about the car parked in front of their house for so long. Whoever it was apparently only needed temporary transportation and even left my window open a crack so that it didn't get overheated I guess. But I will say after what I've experienced in that location, it baffles me to this day when I see people leave their cars open, sometimes with keys in, and even with them running sometimes, while they go into someplace like Walmart! And then I see in our police reports people reporting items stolen out of their unlocked cars!!

Anyway, we lived through other things through the years, including a couple one night having an argument (shouting match) at the end of our driveway, as well as a spontaneous attempted party by our trees one night (another attempt in front of the silos one night after my parents had moved to town and simply came out to check the place). The break in actually happened while we were in the barn - turned out to be three escapees who kicked in the door - apparently traveling fast and light on foot because the only things we found missing from that was my dad's winter coat, a pitcher of milk, and one package from a previously unopened box of graham crackers...but that was the one that gave the "violated" feeling - something the officers had warned us about, and after they left, boy where they right! It really screws with your psyche!

So the reason I mention all that is to give a little background that we have become accustomed to taking precautions - although seems there's always more that could be added. Unfortunately as the years progressed, that "criminal intent" has changed for the worst too as the crime rates have risen. This latest truck theft from us seems to have been more planned than just a crime of opportunity. It's hard to have much trust any longer - even our next door neighbor found someone in their garage scoping things out not long ago. The reported increasing drug use isn't helping the situation. I believe in multiple sensor and security lights for any place we've been in, along with video surveillance and some other traps...especially out at the location the truck was stolen from with it's checkered history. And of course the video monitoring showed us how often people would come in and walk around like it was an open store. So many years ago already we asked the sheriffs department to keep an eye out on their patrols - ironically right after I asked that, we took a trip with my parents to visit my sister and on the way home late at night we drove in just to check and they stopped us before we got out of the driveway!   LOL

So for quite a few years we've asked surrounding neighbors to keep an eye out also. They've been great at letting me know of things and more than once they've even stopped people they noticed in the driveway to ask what they were doing there! So we feel very lucky to have such great neighbors. Unfortunately, nobody from that group happened to see anything during this truck incident. I think everybody felt bad and I suspect maybe watching even closer now. I'm adding a few additional deterrents too, but I do know that neighborhood watches do work amazingly well!

So thanks again and sorry for the long post, but thought I'd better explain that the break-in I mentioned wasn't a recent thing. That was a great idea about the neighbors, and I'm happy to report it's been pretty successful for us all things considered - but no system is perfect. We feel lucky we continue to have so many people who watch out for us and I'd recommend the neighborhood watch system for everyone if they are lucky enough!    :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 10:10:08 PM »
On our way back from Virginia (the state) this morning (10 am or time-i didn't change the time on the dash) as we were exiting 70 onto 465 outside Indianapolis I saw an old ford on a car transporter rig (top row furthest back) ahead that reminded me of your posting.  The blue sleeper cab rig dragging the transporter trailer did not exit 70, it continued along heading west just ahead of us to where I could only get a good line of sight on it after I exited heading north on 465, so as you can guess i had the truck in my eyes for about 3 to 4 seconds. I quick looked for memorable details. ......  Here is what I know,  it was brown with the tan top but didn't have the tan on the sides of the body, it was very shiny, like new paint shinny, no chrome molding on the sides,  it had a slight lift-it almost looked like a 4X4, it had aftermarket wheels (black with silver accents) and tires (somewhat knobby). Sorry no pictures.
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline bellj

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:36:31 AM »
Wow, thank you for that! At this point, anything is possible, and given the speed with which they grabbed what was basically a disabled truck in normal situations (rear tire off the rim, no keys (I know...not that hard to work around), and in park unless they broke into the cab or unhooked under the hood, and brakes that hadn't turned in years) suggests that professional thieves may very well have been involved. Of course the other might be that whoever took it might be aware we have their "scout truck" on video and decided to get rid of it to someone who would transport it away too. Yours is the closest match to any sightings of the whole stolen truck that I've heard about so far, so I'm definitely going to share with our investigator. Thanks!    :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 09:12:54 PM »
Found you another possibility......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 11:55:57 PM »
Never mind,  i looked back on the initial pay and saw yours was an extended cab.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23