Author Topic: Hello from Landlocked Alberta  (Read 12814 times)

Offline Capt SkUnK

Hello from Landlocked Alberta
« on: November 06, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »
Well for many years I've wanted to get into boating, and well we finally pulled the trigger and purchased a read to run '1984 glastron ssv 151' 90 hp evinrude ouboard.    It's our 1st family boat and we tried to get the largest boat we could afford on our budget.  And we'll this was the only one in our price range curranty.

For the year the boat seems very solid and we'll cared for.  Unfortunately we purchased it at the end of fall and the start ans the snow will be falling soon and lakes freezing up.  Unfortunately we didn't get to test the boat out but we bought It from a local guy who added some conditions to the sale to ease our mind.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for the forum in the following months and when summer rolls around.  So I hope to be active around here and learn a thing or two.

The boat does need a few odd pieces of accessories  b4 we get out on the water for some fun.
 Such as a ski tower/pole, a ladder for the kids to get in and out of the water and a tow rope.

We will mainly use the boat for tubing/Knee boarding (with the kids), Fishing off of and reaching locations away from the crowds for spear fishing opportunities which the whole family does.   The flat  bottom design made it desirable for the stability offered.

We are super excited, and have to go throw 6 months of winter b4 we get a chance to get it on the water.   Boats are a little cheaper during the off season so reason we made the purchase this late.

A few questions for you Glastron owners out there. 

1)Where does one source parts for these older boats.

Mainly I'm looking to find the ski pole/tower....

2)are there any good threads on winterizing a boat for winter?  The previous owner had winterized it already and being a new boat owner I was playing with  the idea of taking it our to the lake b4 it freezes up.  And wanted to see  what is all involved in winterizing in if I decide to take it out b4 it snows.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:45:53 PM by Capt SkUnK »

Offline hemi RT

Re: Hello from Landlocked Alberta
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »
First welcome to the forums!!

Whereabouts are you located in Alberta, I was thinking of going out on Wednesday as it is supposed to be 20 above. Let me know
Boat Pro International
Restoration, detailing and appraisals

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 06:28:24 PM »
First welcome to the forums!!

Whereabouts are you located in Alberta, I was thinking of going out on Wednesday as it is supposed to be 20 above. Let me know
Thanks for the Welcome.    It's good to see other people Close by.   We are super excited to get the boat out on the waters around Alberta.  Hope it will be a fun adventure for our family for years to come.   

B4 I decided weather to take the boat out this season, I'll have to determine what will need to be done to winterize the boat as the previous owner has had it winterized for us.  I'm fairly handy so I'm sure it's nothing too complicated that I could accomplish in a couple hours.

We are located close to Calgary.  Actually a little west..   So we are near Ghost Lake Alberta/ Burnstall  Lake & Lake Miniwanka I'm Banff.  Even Chestemear lake in Calgary or one of the lakes out by Reddeer Alberta.

I notice your out by 'The Hat' so I'm sure there are so nice lakes out that way.  Hopefully next summer we can make it out to explore some lakes around there.  Any suggestions on lakes out your way that are worth a visit?

Are there a lot of members from Alberta on the forums?

SkUnK

Offline hemi RT

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:02:57 PM »
Elkwater, part of Cypress Inter provincial park -  no park entry fees - nice small to medium lake, Rattle snake - a fairly large resevoir but shallow in spots, a lot of rivers launching spots, Lake Newell - really large but can get really rough at times, Pine Lake - quite busy. Chestermere - a large filled reservoir but drained in the fall.

Do you have your boating license yet? If not you can do the class and take the test online, don't get caught without it.

We'll keep in touch, our email is hemirt@shaw.ca

Jim & Arlene Rea
Boat Pro International

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »

Elkwater, part of Cypress Inter provincial park -  no park entry fees - nice small to medium lake, Rattle snake - a fairly large resevoir but shallow in spots, a lot of rivers launching spots, Lake Newell - really large but can get really rough at times, Pine Lake - quite busy. Chestermere - a large filled reservoir but drained in the fall.

Do you have your boating license yet? If not you can do the class and take the test online, don't get caught without it.

We'll keep in touch, our email is hemirt@shaw.ca

Jim & Arlene Rea

We sill have to kill a few birds this week pertaining to the boat....
-We do need our boat licence, and we are planning on doing it online.  Any go suggestions on trusted sites to get our licence at?
-We need to also switch or her the boat registered.  Still have to look Into this,  as I just briefly looked over the vessel registration process and got a little confused.
-need to get the kids and dogs life jackets that fit properly for the little ones.

The Wife and kids would love to get out with some other boaters for our 1st outting.   Being our 1st boat the wife ad kids are a little nervous heading out by our selfs. And would be fun to get to know some people in the classic boating community around Calgary .

Where would you be  headed out the weekend?   We might see if we can get everything in order and possibly get out 1 time this season.

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »
Welcome!
You've come to the right place for info on fixing, finding parts, or anything else to know about old Glastrons. Always glad to see new people getting into boating!

Ross
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »

Welcome!
You've come to the right place for info on fixing, finding parts, or anything else to know about old Glastrons. Always glad to see new people getting into boating!

Ross

Glad to be here.   Hope out family can find some fun  and have an enjoyable 1st experience.    We tend to spend a lot of time during the summer out at lakes and hope the boat will open up many more opportunities to utilize the lakes around our home of Alberta.

The boat is older but is 99% there minus the few little trinkets I 1st posted. 

SkUnK

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »
For parts, Ebay, internet searches and posting here are the best sources. As far as a ski pole/tower goes, I would imagine that you can buy that new to fit your boat. I dont think there would be anything "special" about it.
Winterizing an outboard is pretty easy.
If I were you and your itching to get out, go for it. You can winterize it in an hour or so.
I can tell you how I do it and I am sure it is listed somewhere on our site in an archived post.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:45:46 PM by Rosscoe »
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 09:43:09 PM »
For parts, Ebay, internet searches and posting here are the best sources. As far as a ski pole/tower goes, I would imagine that you can buy that new to fit your boat. I dont think there would be anything "special" about it.
If I were you and your itching to get out, for for it. You can winterize it in an hour or so.
I can tell you how I do it and I am sure it is listed somewhere on our site in an archived post.
I would like to get it on the water b4 it snows to see it running.  And have a test.  See how it all runs and if it needs any work get that done over the winter.

I have heard it running just haven't had it out on the water.  So it would be a long winter waiting to have a test drive.  The boat will have to be stored out doors in our yard.  It has its button snap covers which are original  and a boat cover.  I'll also toss a couple heavy tarps over it with a wood framed lean-to to help her on the snow from piling up on it.

I Would definitely appreciate some advice on winterizing, would surly help sway me to take it out for a rip next weekend.
  As far as winterizing it seems fairly simple.
-would one use the boat muffler with a hose in a bucket of Antifreeze mixed at 50:50 to get the antifreeze through the engine.
-disconnect the fuel line to the engine  from the tank and let the engine burn off the gas Remaining once the antifreeze has cycled through the engine.
Fogging oil...
-fogging Oil into the carb on the running engine.
-pull each plug and spray fogging oil on each cylinder
-add gas stabilizer to the tank.
-drain the boat through the plugs on the back of the boat.

I'm pretty sure that covers it from a quick Google search?  Am I missing any steps?

Where does one get fogging oil from?

I will have to look for a repair manual for this outboard.   Any advice on a quality service manual to invest in?  I have a manual for a 1958-72 Johnson/Evinrude ' Seloc' I bought when I had purchased a project boat a few yeas back that tuned into too big of a project for my Time.  These manuals seem fairly detailed.

Was looking online and these  are on sale currently.  Or is there a better service manual to get.

SkUnK

Offline hemi RT

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »
Don't need antifreeze on an outboard unless it's a 4 stroke. Fog the cylinders through the carbs with it at idle, shut it off and add some more fogging oil, drain and refill the lower unit checking for water in the oil and in the spring replace the water pump impeller, in fact you can just drain the lower unit and leave it empty until you change the impeller. Store the engine in the vertical position, You can add fuel stabilizer to the fuel when fogging the engine or just drain the fuel from the bowls - a lot of different opinions on this. Storing the battery is also up for a lot of opinions but a least make sure it is fully charged.

If you are going to pump antifreeze through it use RV antifreeze and not automotive, but I have never put antifreeze through an outboard in the 40+ years I've been boating. One more thing - leave the transom plug out.
Boat Pro International

Offline hemi RT

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »
If you're going to get a manual, try and get on OEM one as the after market ones sometimes overlook the small details.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:11:15 PM by hemi RT »
Boat Pro International

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:01 AM »
If you're going to get a manual, try and get on OEM one as the after market ones sometimes overlook the same details.
Thanks for he advice.  Will definitely look for an OEM manual.

SkUnK

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum Capt. !

Is VRO (oil injection system) still installed/connected ?
Are there portable fuel tanks or built in fuel tank ?
When was the last time the impeller replaced ?    Replace ASAP if unknown ...

Check this section out ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?board=7.0

Online service manual ...
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Evinrude info ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2928.0

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
If I were you and your itching to get out, for for it. You can winterize it in an hour or so.
I would like to get it on the water b4 it snows to see it running.  And have a test.  See how it all runs and if it needs any work get that done over the winter.

I have heard it running just haven't had it out on the water.  So it would be a long winter waiting to have a test drive.  The boat will have to be stored out doors in our yard.  It has its button snap covers which are original  and a boat cover.  I'll also toss a couple heavy tarps over it with a wood framed lean-to to help her on the snow from piling up on it.

I Would definitely appreciate some advice on winterizing, would surly help sway me to take it out for a rip next weekend.
  As far as winterizing it seems fairly simple.
-would one use the boat muffler with a hose in a bucket of Antifreeze mixed at 50:50 to get the antifreeze through the engine.
-disconnect the fuel line to the engine  from the tank and let the engine burn off the gas Remaining once the antifreeze has cycled through the engine.
Fogging oil...
-fogging Oil into the carb on the running engine.
-pull each plug and spray fogging oil on each cylinder
-add gas stabilizer to the tank.
-drain the boat through the plugs on the back of the boat.

I'm pretty sure that covers it from a quick Google search?  Am I missing any steps?

Where does one get fogging oil from?

I will have to look for a repair manual for this outboard.   Any advice on a quality service manual to invest in?  I have a manual for a 1958-72 Johnson/Evinrude ' Seloc' I bought when I had purchased a project boat a few yeas back that tuned into too big of a project for my Time.  These manuals seem fairly detailed.

Was looking online and these  are on sale currently.  Or is there a better service manual to get.

SkUnK

That pretty much covers it except for the antifreeze. Its pointless on an outboard. I always pull my batteries and store them on a trickle charger if possible or like has been said, make sure it is fully charged.
As far as the lower unti/gear case, yes its a good idea to at least drain off some of the lube in case there is water in there.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 09:25:38 AM »

Well last night we made the long drive to pick up our boat.  It was a 3 hour dive both ways and it pulled really well behind our jeep for the journey home.  Also came with 3 anchors, muffles, exta props, trailer Wheel covers for storage, life jackets for the whole family including one for the newest baby when she's 4 months old which will be spring time & 2 jackets for our dogs (hope those fit our pittys)

I'm pretty happy with the purchase...  there were a few more extra things that came with the boat I don't know we're there or included... Besides the snap on cover wih clear plastic window there is a bimini top that came with the boat.  Not sure if it's original or not but it's in real good shape  and matches the rest of the covers. 

When storing the boat over winter is it a good idea to use the original covers snapped on with a boat cover over top.  Or should  I store the original travel coveres indoors and use tarps to cover the boat.

Evinrude info ...

Honestly I'm  not too sure what the VRO is or where it is located.  But once I'm off work this afternoon I'll be giving the boat a good look over.   Should this be disconnected for storage?

The gas tanks are removable, there are two of them that fit behind the rear bench seat.   The previous owner had them removed for winter and said they need stabilizer added to the tanks for storage.

I'll have to ask the precious owner about the props, but it came with a few extra props as well. The boat was well cared for and the previous owner was maticulas about storing things and keeping  up on repairs. 

SkUnK

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »
VRO STORY ...
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

This stuff work pretty good, have used it in gas can for weed whipper / leafblower that lasted over 1 year.
http://www.starbrite.com/startron

Use gas in boat for your snow blower this winter, get new gas for boat in spring.
Do some Google search's for info you need on changing LU oil, impeller replacement, winterizing outboard, etc.
Lots of YouTube video's on how to do stuff ...

Like Ross said ... Check / drain your LU before it gets to cold ... If there's "ANY" water in it, you'll need new seals ...

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 04:12:41 PM »
If you drain the lower unit oil make sure you refill it with fresh oil or condensation will form inside the gearcase and rust up the gears. Don't leave it empty.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline hemi RT

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »

Well last night we made the long drive to pick up our boat.  It was a 3 hour dive both ways and it pulled really well behind our jeep for the journey home.  Also came with 3 anchors, muffles, exta props, trailer Wheel covers for storage, life jackets for the whole family including one for the newest baby when she's 4 months old which will be spring time & 2 jackets for our dogs (hope those fit our pittys)

I'm pretty happy with the purchase...  there were a few more extra things that came with the boat I don't know we're there or included... Besides the snap on cover wih clear plastic window there is a bimini top that came with the boat.  Not sure if it's original or not but it's in real good shape  and matches the rest of the covers. 

When storing the boat over winter is it a good idea to use the original covers snapped on with a boat cover over top.  Or should  I store the original travel coveres indoors and use tarps to cover the boat.

Evinrude info ...

Honestly I'm  not too sure what the VRO is or where it is located.  But once I'm off work this afternoon I'll be giving the boat a good look over.   Should this be disconnected for storage?

The gas tanks are removable, there are two of them that fit behind the rear bench seat.   The previous owner had them removed for winter and said they need stabilizer added to the tanks for storage.

I'll have to ask the precious owner about the props, but it came with a few extra props as well. The boat was well cared for and the previous owner was meticulous about storing things and keeping  up on repairs. 

SkUnK

Looks good behind the jeep, just need to paint the jeep to match the boat  ;D. Still thinking about going out this weekend? Let us know.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:35:37 PM by hemi RT »
Boat Pro International

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »

Evinrude info ...

I'll have to ask the precious owner about the props, but it came with a few extra props as well. The boat was well cared for and the previous owner was meticulous about storing things and keeping  up on repairs. 

SkUnK

Looks good behind the jeep, just need to paint the jeep to match the boat  ;D. Still thinking about going out this weekend? Let us know.

Jim
I'd love to take her our but we are having another baby really soon.   Reason we got the boat was the wife's brand new Rav 4 was written off when a driver plowed into it parked in the street.  So we have to go out this weekend and look at a new vehicle for her so she's able to get to appointments when I'm at work.

I'd love to take you up on that offer when we do Take the boat out. Would be nice to have an experienced Boater with us on our first voyage.

We will be looking at a few Black Grand Cherokees  same as the one in he picture.   We are jeep freaks over here and always have a few kicking around...   they are easy to work on I've been doing all my own work since 1998.
 I've had his white one for 18 years and has 489,000KMs on her and she still drives & runs the trails hard.   The boat in the picture was my 1st attempt at owning a boat.  Turned into  too big of a project when the stringers needed replacement I made my money back selling the trailer.  So all was not lost except my dream of being a boat owner.

Capt SkUnK
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:08:40 PM by Capt SkUnK »

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 08:53:03 PM »
If you drain the lower unit oil make sure you refill it with fresh oil or condensation will form inside the gearcase and rust up the gears. Don't leave it empty.
The lower leg unit was drained this fall and replace by a boat mechanic out of Rocky MT House Alberta. I have the recipes, do I've decided to leave it be...

Battery and gas tanks have been removed.
-Battery is on Trickle Charge in the basement. 
-Gas I've yet to decided if I'll add Stabilizer or if I'll just give it away on a local buy and see site or recycle it and get new gas next season.

We pulled all the plugs so water can drain if any gets in. And the boat has been covered with a couple tarps & the boat cover.  I oped to keep the cover and bimini top off and keep it in the house till next season so it doesn't Crack during winter.   But we did try it on and see what it looked like.

I'd like to look for a pop up car shelter to store the boat & possibly be able to work on it during Chinook weather over the winter.    I was lucky enough to find a manual for the Evinrude  engine free on-line in PDF so have some reading material until my OEM & other manuals arrive.

Capt SkUnK