Author Topic: 460 Ford Engine Block Quick Drains (Ex. 1978 Glastron Carlson CV23 Jet Boat)  (Read 2196 times)

Offline JetLife

• 1978 G/C CV23 460 Jet & 1976 G/C CV19SS 460 Jet
Hello. With my jet boat (1978 Glastron Carlson CV23 with a 460 Ford) it is necessary to drain/flush the engine block during winterizing and maybe a couple times per summer (especially if you even have the slightest notion you sucked up some sand or debris).

This process really is a pain in the butt to do using the 1/4" block drain plugs that originally came with my boat. You have to be a contortionist to get up under those exhaust manifolds and remove the plugs. So I installed the quick drains as you will see in the pictures. Mind you that you may not need the extensions that I installed which would make your installation even cleaner.

Keep in mind that every time you take out the factory block plugs you run the risk of galling the threads...even if you can get the darn plug(s) out! So the quick drains serve multiple purposes. Plus, the quick drains have a fairly good size orifice to poke a coat hangar into in case you need to "clear" the flow. 

These (nice and short) quick drains can be purchased here: https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/69961
Another option if you want to connect a hose on the output end: https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/68830

I got this tip from somewhere in a forum and passing along to you. Will see how things go under pressure and heat this summer.

NOTE: On one particular outing, I heard a thud as I was idling along and knew I ran into some shallow water (sandy bottom). The attached photo was after I drained the block post multiple days of boating after said "thud". I can only imagine what was in the block right after the "thud" happened. Ouch. Lesson learned: Flush your block. 

Mark

Fall 2022 update: These quick drains worked fantastic all summer! Flushed block mid summer to test. Wow…EASY! No leaks and they stood the test of summer full throttle runs. Oh and what a breeze winterizing! Love them! I even put them on my Ford 460 equipped 1976 CV-19ss. Life is good.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 03:13:34 PM by JetLife »

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
I did the same on my SBC, only difference is I drilled a small hole at the handle end to safety wire.  Did the safety wire once, then switched to throttle return springs.    I'm just not limber enough to wrench around down there anymore
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude