Author Topic: Off Topic - Had to plug my car in last night  (Read 32631 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Off Topic - Had to plug my car in last night
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
" Man that's not a pretty car..."

Ya ... but I'm a Nano fan ....
LOL

http://www.tatacarsworldwide.com/products/nano.asp

Offline Jerry

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
Is it like Rolls Royce, do they send a mechanic from India when it breaks down?
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
Is it like Rolls Royce, do they send a mechanic from India when it breaks down?

No mechanic required. I think they are disposable at that price!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline V153

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
Hey anybody brave enough to name a car 'Ta Ta' gets my vote ...?
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
Tata Motors actually owns Jaguar, Land Rover, Rover, Lanchester and Daimler.  They're not a small car company...they're just not here under the Tata name. (yet).

http://jalopnik.com/373621/tata-now-owns-jaguar-land-rover-rover-daimler-and-lanchester
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
Ford is coming out with an EV Focus in limited markets this year and GM will introduce an EV called the spark. They'll just keep getting better and more affordable like flat screen TVs. EV's will be more accepted once there is a paradigm shift as to what the family truckster should be.

I still prefer the Volt because there are no issues with running out of juice and you still have a car than gets close to 40 MPG running in gas mode. Cost, efficiency & complexity are the downside over a pure EV.   

Interesting to see what a used Volt will sell for in 3-4 years. Battery is warrantied for 8 years/100K.   
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
The Volt is a pretty good idea. Biggest problem is they are still $30K cars. When you can buy a nissan versa for $11K and still get over 30mgp it's going to take a long time to save the difference and you still have the ability to go on long trips. It's a step in the right direction but I am gonna stick to petrol burners for a few more evolutions.
Jason S.

Offline V153

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
When you can buy a nissan versa for $11K and still get over 30mgp it's going to take a long time to save the difference and you still have the ability to go on long trips
Quite right. Reckon one of the problems with EVs is they're useless to people like myself who drive 350 - 400mi per week. Which brings up the point that the folks who'd reduce their "Carbon Footprint" the most by driving them can't.

Heck there were cars in the 70s that got close to 40mpg. Toyota Starlet was one, and a great lil car btw. 'Member the VW Rabbit diesel? Didn't those things get like 50mpg?! I think it's gonna take at least a paradigm shift here so long as the preferred family truckster appears to be a large SUV with cup holders & a DVD player ...

Call me old fashioned but if folks behind the wheel focused on the task at hand vs doing anything and apparently everything else. And observed the rules of the road. We'd be a lot better off, and probly get better gas mileage? After you scrape all the dressing & slick advertising off a car it's basically just a way to get from point A to B. When I slide behind the wheel my mission parameters are to know where I'm going & to get there as fast as possible. Hopefully without killing or being killed en route ...?

As battery technology advances so will EVs. But imo for now they're novelties for those that can afford them to make themselves feel more 'green'.  

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:42:37 PM by V153 »
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
I deleted my less than appropriate comments because I didn't want them to take away from what is a pretty good discussion.

Kip

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:03:46 AM by CVX Fever »

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
I"m all for going green, but what happens when my F150 runs into the TATA, I just don't feel safe in these new Smart Cars...

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »
Ok, ok...let's be respectful.

I think its important to keep in mind...that under the traditional HWY/CTY economy ratings, the Volt scored 200+ mpg.

They had to come up with a completely new rating system ''MPG Equivalent' in order to quantify a 'like' rating system for these kinds of cars...

The Volt has a MPG Equivalent rating of 97 MPG, and a 'Hybrid' Rating of 37 combined 'Hwy/City'.  They just don't compare equally to any car before them.  http://gm-volt.com/2010/11/24/official-2011-chevrolet-volt-epa-fuel-economy-released/

I think what people miss with the Volt is that a) its not for everyone...and b) they're the cars that are going to allow the auto makers to continue to make Mustangs, Camaro's, Challengers, etc.   With federal 'fleet' overall total mpg continuing to be raised...these are the cars that allow us to go down and select from 20 different F-150's or Silverado's.

Without these cars, there would be lists of people wanting to buy that new truck or sedan because they could only make so many trucks that fall below their fleet limit mpg.  Look up 'CAFE' - Corporate Average Fuel Economy.  

Without these cars...an F-150 or SUV would cost 2x as much, and you'd have to wait 2 years for your truck to be built.  It is a possibility of the future with out the 'Volts'.

Think Aston Martin wants to build the Cygnet?  They HAVE to to stay in business and sell the cars people want...

I honestly think I could ditch the Avalanche, tow the boat with the SUV, and mostly likely never use 1 tank of gas in the Volt. (I have a 1 mile commute.)  Studies have shown that a vast amount of driving is local...that's where the beauty of cars like the Volt come in...but yeah, they are not for everyone.

Everyone does realize that the Volt is not an Electric car right?  It goes a combined 380 miles...need to go farther?  Add gas...start it & drive....(rinse & repeat) until you get to your destination.  Plug it in...first 40 miles are gas free...then gas/electric for the next 340 miles.

You could absolutely drive this car daily Doug.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:59:43 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
I"m all for going green, but what happens when my F150 runs into the TATA, I just don't feel safe in these new Smart Cars...
Yep...honestly...that's partly why I like the Avalanche...in the end...it all comes down to physics.  I wouldn't take that Mitsu on the highway...city driving (35 MPH & below), I'd do it, but not on the freeway.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline DanR

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »
I was trying to find an article about the mining of the materials for the batteries, but found this. I'll keep looking for the mining article I read a while back. From what I remember, it is pretty much a wash as far as environmental damage is concerned.

http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/living-with-the-side-effects-of-lithium-ion-batteries.html

1974 CV16
2001 GX205
1978 Venture bass boat

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Jason S.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
You know...I suppose its possible...but you can't equate the side effects when ingesting lithium as a drug to lithium used in a sealed battery...if that were the case, the lead battery in your car should be killing you right now, so they should be off the market.

Jason - Yep, that's true.  Car & Driver neglects to take into account the market for the Volt, which is an 'around town'er' that can go farther if needed, which means its City MPG = 122 (unless you're always depending on the gas engine, which it when it drops), where the Cruze gets 20 in the City.

If you expect to drive 1000 miles a week or have a commute to work over 20 miles each way, the Volt is not meant for you plain and simple.  Their gas savings figures are based (unfortunately) on the market which the Cruze was intended for (gas sipping extended commuter), not the Volts...so yeah, the savings in their article aren't going to be that impressive.

Volt wins when used as designed...just look at the mileage numbers:

I think this discussion clearly shows why any new automotive technology has an uphill climb.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
Here's a really good comment from the Car & Driver article

I like both cars, although practicality-wise the Cruze is a better option for me than the Volt. But I do hope lots of people buy Volts so that the tech that goes into them becomes more affordable to average people in the future, because the Volt really does seem to be a pioneer into the future of automobile tech, and I'd like to own a good electric or hybrid car someday.

If you looking to get from point A to B as cheap as possible the Volt isn't your car. But when the economy turns around and gas prices start rising again(which they will) electric cars or some other type of alternative energy vehicle may be the cheapest way to get around. Everyone can form their own opinion on whether they are better for the enviroment or not but I think most would agree that there is no downside to energy independence for this country. Cars like the Volt will help get us there.

I'm a boater and snowmobiler so I'm stuck with a full size truck that can tow regardless. Still, I'd love to park that truck and never use it unless I'm hooking something up to the back of it.

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »
Studies have shown that a vast amount of driving is local...that's where the beauty of cars like the Volt come in...but yeah, they are not for everyone.

Agree they are a niche vehicle and for most the payback isn't there. GM actually loses money on everyone they sell. Still as Jerry said. we need to start somewhere and it's good that early adopters are getting vehicles like the Volt and Leaf on the road for reasons other than pure financial. In the end it will end up benefitting all of us. The days of cheap gas for us Americans are over. China is now a bigger car market than the US and with other emerging nations, like India, the demand will keep going up while the supply stays flat at best. Remember that 1 in 6 people in this world are Chinese, or 1 in 3 are either Chinese or Indian.  

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 02:21:09 PM »
Without these cars, there would be lists of people wanting to buy that new truck or sedan because they could only make so many trucks that fall below their fleet limit mpg.  Look up 'CAFE' - Corporate Average Fuel Economy.  

Without these cars...an F-150 or SUV would cost 2x as much, and you'd have to wait 2 years for your truck to be built.  It is a possibility of the future with out the 'Volts'.

Point made & understood. 

Granted by removing the CAFE laws, and this would not be a problem in the first place.  I really don't like government using laws to try and drive market demand.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »
I went by Lupient the other day. They had 2 sitting outside. They were both around $42,000. With tax, transfer, license, dealer prep, we're up to $50,000. Dottie drives the Grand Cherokee 6 miles a day, and we fill it up once a week at $50-$70, so let's say I use $3,000 gas a year, if I have it as long as we have had the Jeep, it will pay for it's-self,maybe.  I might wait a couple years. I think if we drove more miles, and actually had a garage we could park in it would be different.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
Granted by removing the CAFE laws, and this would not be a problem in the first place.  I really don't like government using laws to try and drive market demand.

You're waiting for $10 gas?