Author Topic: Mercury High Five Prop  (Read 2728 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Mercury High Five Prop
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »
Just met a friend at the river so he could test his new Mercury High Five prop the UPS man dropped off yesterday evening.  He's got a 20' Fish-n-Ski with a 200 Merc on the back mounted to to a 10" jack plate.  He was running about 68 -72 gps with his current 3 blade prop depending on the water but the hole shot was so-so.

We mounted the High Five and what a difference. That boat jumps out of the water now and and he's still running 64 WOT.

That's one mean looking prop.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Mercury High Five Prop
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
I know that Kip loves his on his CVX-18.  I'll be putting one on Goldie hopefully over the winter as well.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
Is the pitch the same? Did the RPM go down to loose 6-8 Mph? Does he drag race? why change? Does it handle better? Both stainless?
I have questions???
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
Pitch is the same. Mercury suggest that if you're currently running at the recommended max RPM's to use the same size and pitch when switching to the high five. It has smaller ears than the 3 blade he had and it spools up quicker.

No, he doesn't drag in a fish-n-ski. It's his family ski and tournament fishing boat. It was a lugger trying to pull a tube a slower speeds for the kids and tough pulling he and I up on a slalom ski.

We tested both props and it's a big difference in plane time with the high five. He was at about 100 - 200 below his max WOT rpms with the 3 blade. He tried the next pitch down on the 3 blade and it didn't improve the hole shot much and his rpm's went up 100 over the max. Now he's right on the max with the high five. One of his buddies wants his 3 blade so he'll only have about $275 in the high five with it's all done.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/elite/high-five/

http://www.tacomapropeller.com/40211/635581/Mercury-High-5/13--14-X-19-RH-Quicksilver-QST-Five-Blade-Propellers.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:10:00 PM by wiliermdb »

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:49:29 AM »
those are awsome props,  I try'd one on my boat and had the same results as you, 5 short blades grab a Bunch of water, and the smaller diameter helps it spin up fast, but the higher speeds come from the outer perimiter of a prop, a larger diameter 3 blade is alway's faster.
1980 23ft Scimitar