Author Topic: Sombody been on a  (Read 13807 times)

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Sombody been on a
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
Road Trip

Finally got it  !

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Sombody been on a
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
Wow...That's a beauty!  So...are you keeping both?  Or what's the plan?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
Wow...That's a beauty!  So...are you keeping both?  Or what's the plan?

I'm not able to keep both, "Reds Gold"  will be for sale soon, just haven't decided for Sure if I want to sell the new motor with it or not, I got another good running 260 Mercruiser I could stick in it.  I been thinkin about keeping the stroker, but tuning it down with stock heads, stock 35 mag cam, another carb,  and putting it in the new boat.  ???  I'll make up my mind when I run it on the lake.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 02:58:37 PM »
Congrats Red...looking forward to seeing that one in IA in June.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
Let me get this straight. After a year of building a motor, and gel-coating the boat, and all you went through, yer gonna trash it?
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
............ yer gonna trash it?

Bad choice of words Jerry. More like, has fixed up the old girl for a fellow Glastron member.

Red. I love the color of the new Scimitar. Very nice.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »
My assumption (and remembering the original pictures) is that the new Scimitar is about as showroom as they come...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
Good score Red.
That's the one you've been lookin' at for awhile ?

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »
Red and Georgia

Congrats on the new purchase

Great color combo

Looking forward to June to see it

Jeff
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »
WOW, Red, that's absolutely beautiful!  More Pictures!!!
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'87 CVX-16 Outboard, '88 Johnson 120--
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 07:40:17 PM »
thanks guy's,  it is a nice boat, has all the original stuff, the electric seat works all six functions, the original "t" top latches, thats odd, but it's the color that I've been looking for ever since I been looking for a scimitar.  The finish is not perfect, but not bad, I plan on doing it like I did the other one this winter.  The trailer is Great, tires are like new, brakes, bearings and all, it has had a re-inforcement added up front that I don't really care for, but can be corrected easily.

I tried to buy this boat about 3 years ago, missed it by about 1 hour, thats when Roger bought it, he's had it in the water 3 times, he had the cover made for it out of the "sunbrella" material, re-inforced in all the right places, when I went and looked at it, several months ago, was probably the first time the cover has seen sunlight.

The exhaust manifolds have grown some rust bubbles, port side cracked, I'll replace them, the "whale tail" gotta go, the motor covers and back seat needs re-uphoulstered, but the front seats and carpet are good to go.  The floor, stringers and transom seem to rock solid, I hammered and poked all over it, but we all know ya just Don't know about one of these boats until you check it out with a drill bit.  Roger was the second owner, I'll be the third, the original owner said the hours were correct when Roger bought it, the meter indicates 208.2 hours now, some of the boat looks like that could be correct, but the condition of the finish, and the back seat, could indicate it has been used more than that ... who knows ?

I'll get some more pictures soon, but for now it's covered up real tight, with two covers, in my back yard until I get the Celebrity out of the shop, another week or so, then it's going in the shop for the winter.

Jerry ... it's about the money, I'm not going to give the stroker away, and if I keep it for this boat, I'll tune it down to be more affordable to drive, if thats "trashing" it to you, I differ with your opinion.  
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:20:12 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »
Didn't Scott pick up an Emerald Mist Scimitar this fall too?  Anybody know if he got one?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »
Oh nice!!!!  I wondered why you had been so quite lately!  ;D
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 10:18:44 PM »
I wondered why you had been so quite lately!
Hey Chris, glad you got back home safe. I been kinda quiet lately I quess because I'm working on a 1997 Celebrity project that don't fit here, but I still check in often.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 06:21:12 AM »
She is a beauty Red! Love that color.
So you can tell us now...was all the recent work on yours getting it ready to sell?
I never thought you'd part with Red's Gold after all the work you've done to the transom, oudrive, finish etc. It must be worth it.
So you options are to freshen up the 260 in there or drop the stroker in. Hmmm I know what I'd do. Maybe you're getting tired of going fast? I doubt that. Like you said, it would be more affordable running the 260 or detuning the stroker.
Great score in any case especially since you've had your eye on this one for so long. Talk about "keeping your eye on the ball"  ;D Trailer looks sweet too. Congrats.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 08:10:27 AM »
So you can tell us now...was all the recent work on yours getting it ready to sell?
Hi Ross, and Yes, I've been tracking this boat a long time, the original owner said he was friends with Art Carlson, and  bought the boat right off the assembly line, in April 09, it came up on ebay with-out a buy-it-now price, thats when I first saw it, and sent the owner a message asking him to call me.  Next day, I got his email stating he had several cash offers on the boat, from Austrailia, Canada, California and NewYork, and that his computer was flooded with questions about the boat, he included his phone number.  When I brought the add up that morning, I saw that he had added a buy-it-now price, I didn't have that much money to push the button, but I called him to discuss it, and he told me the boat just sold.

"details about that sale"
The owner of the boat was discussing details about shipping cost to Chicago, when a buyer from Austrailia made a $1000 greater offer,  when Roger was looking at that button, here's Roger's email ...

I studied the ebay ad for a while and thought that it looked pretty interesting---low hours, same family owned it since it was new---never saw a dealer showroom because the owner's father was personal friends with Art Carlson and he had bought it right off the assembly line, never been in salt water--always garaged, original trailer in good shape--yada yada yada-- I also noted that it was in Albuquerque, NM which is about a 5hr drive from where in live ( Pueblo, CO) and I knew I was going to be there on business a few days from that time. I emailed the owner a few questions and he emailed me right back saying he just had posted some additional photos and added a buy it now price.
So, I looked at his buy it now--and then stared at the screen for a good 7 mins thinking of all the reasons I shouldn't buy it---which were several--daughter starting med school this fall, always busy at work, trying to finish construction on a new house, other day to day responsibilities etc etc etc---and then I just hit the button---don't ask me why.

All I can think is that years ago (1976) my wife (girfriend at the time) bought a little CVX 16 Galstron with an old 125 Johnson --that I as always doing something to to keep it running--but we had so many good times with that boat --that this one looked like that one on steroids and so now I'm hoping we get back in the boating groove.

Roger contacted me after the sale, and again in Feb. this year, in March, me and the Fox drove up to Pueblo to look at it, so Yes, to answer your question, I have had selling my scimitar in mind ever since I seen this boat.  The motor in the boat is just fine, and I have the motor out of Barb's intimidator also, I could put either one in Red's Gold for a sale, but enough money could persuade me to leave it in there, it's not going to be a gimme, I have almost $5000 in parts and machine work in that motor.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:17:50 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »
Red, glad to see you and Georgia made it round trip safely.  I thought about you all weekend, with the winds we had here I was wondering if you ran into any of it up there.  I'll be over to see it probaby next week.  Gotta get the holidays out of the way and Hot Knots still has to go to the lake cover.  I'm really happy for you, I know you've been salivating over that boat since you saw it in March.  You're gonna be like a little kid at Christmas now.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline MarkS

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
Super nice find Red, congrats on the new Scimitar.  Glad you finally found one in your color, makes it even sweeter!

RE: Red's Gold - somebody will be getting one heck of a boat, whichever engine comes with it IMHO.   ;)
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
COOL !
VERY COOL ! !

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »