Author Topic: What kind of outdrive in a CV-23  (Read 2435 times)

Offline evilhomer

What kind of outdrive in a CV-23
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »
What kind of Mercruiser out drives were used in a 1979 CV-23, and are there any newer out drives that can be used instead, that will bolt up to the stock 260 motor? I cant find any markings or stickers on my out drive to be able to determine..Thanks
Homer

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: What kind of outdrive in a CV-23
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
it was an MR series drive in the 1979, in ( I think ) 1983 the Alpha One came out, it's basically the same drive, the one's for the V-8 have stronger gears, will bolt right up the the early transom assy, but the big deal is the ram's, got to use the XD series rams, and the tilt/trim pump, much more better. you get away from the old style reverse lock shift plate, thats where the leaks come from that allow the drive to bleed down during tow, and the new style rams and pump hold up trim a Lot better, works faster, and Never bleed down during tow.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:00:00 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline evilhomer

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 12:22:11 AM »
Thanks for the info......now the hunt...
Homer

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
Just a suggestion, I've done for years, find a doner boat, mid 80's up, rotten floor and seats, or froze broke motor, wrecked or something like that, that has a V-8 motor and Mercruiser drive, often pick one up cheap, get the parts you want off it, and sell the rest, often get the parts you want for very little cost, just a little work, that way you get everything you want, every nut, bolt, tilt/trim, new style power steering, manifolds and "y" pipe, thats the way to go.
Couple years ago, I bought a  nice looking 24ft 1987 Four Winn's with a good trailer, freeze busted motor, manifolds had been drained,  I payed $1500, I took off the center rise manifolds, thunderbolt ignition, drive and trim system, thermostat housing and hoses, sonar, ship to shore radio, and a pretty new battery.  I listed the rest of the boat on craigslist for $1500 ... sold it in a couple days for the asking price. 
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline evilhomer

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »
We think alike!!
Homer