Author Topic: I need a computer geek!!!  (Read 3577 times)

Offline DanR

I need a computer geek!!!
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
I put some pictures on cd and now I can't open them. They are saved as ABM files. Any clue as to what program I need to have to view them? These were off an old computer I no longer have. Also all the piocs of my kids from birth til last year, many on the CV16!!!! Next time I will save each picture, not the albums as a whole! I have 87 cd's here I can't view!!!
1974 CV16
2001 GX205
1978 Venture bass boat

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: I need a computer geek!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »
Do you still have the program that you created the files with ?
Did program come with your camera ?
Might be a program to convert them to jpeg's or gif's.

Edit ...
Did a search ...

Hi. I just talked to someone else with the same problem. His Gateway was reformatted by the gateway people, they saved his ABM files, but not his actual JPG files. The ABM is an Album, a sort of table of contents, or index to an assortment of pics. It doesn't contain the pics, is not a picture, and if you rename the file to a jpg extension or try to "Convert" it won't work-there is nothing to convert... If the person who backed up your files didn't include the actual collection of JPG files, they are gone. Albums just refer to a series of picture files and their location.

Edit #2 ...

This program might find pic's if there there ...

ArcSoft PhotoBase Deluxe 4.5.9.83

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/ArcSoft-PhotoBase-Deluxe.shtml
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:20:47 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »
Just a couple thoughts...I don't honestly like Arcsoft...Picasa from Google would work too...pick what you like.

If you have 87 CD's...sounds like the images are there...since (like Gregg said) albums are just indexed lists of files in that album...the files are likely there.

Any idea what program created them?  Some of the really old stuff can have weird file extensions on them which today's programs don't read.  I had the same issue with some images from Seattle Filmworks and had to go through a couple steps to convert them to .jpg's.

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
Do you see anything in file explorer?  Or just .abm's?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Glastron_GT160

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
Hey Dan,

You might try using a program called Konvertor (http://www.logipole.com/konvertor_en.htm) program to see if it can open those albums.  It is available as a free trial version.  Just be sure not to install any additional toolbars when your installing it.  If you have 87 cd's, it suggests the photos should be within there somewhere.  Can you post a screenshot of what a directory looks like on on CD?

Best chance would be to figure out what software creates the album files in the first place.

Offline DanR

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
I can't seem to get it. Off to BestBuy I guess. I'll take 1 cd and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys.
1974 CV16
2001 GX205
1978 Venture bass boat

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
Dan ...
Would you like to try some stuff ?
We could do it thru email ..

hyperacme@gmail.com