Author Topic: Well ...  (Read 5643 times)

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Well ...
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
it's Barbs fault
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: Well ...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:03:42 PM »
Actually ..

It wasn't really Barb's fault, but I don't want to take the blame.  The drive is under warranty, done talked to the builder,  I think he is going to modify a Gen II to fit into the Alpha One assy.

When the drive locked up, brought little Burnin Daylight to an abrupt halt, water entered the exhaust stacks, so we are gonna take it down and have a look see, takin no chances with this baby.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:54:58 AM »
That had to been a hell of a ride!   :-/ Everyone got clean shorts again?????  72 - 0 in how long????:o

Sorry to see the damage but better now than 15 miles down river.
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »
72! WOW! That's twice as fast as the V172. At least she can be proud of that. I bet it was a scary ride. Hey, at least you had some nice tunes to listen too on the tow back to the landing!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
Nice tunes and lots of pretty lights.  This happened right at sundown with no other boats on the lake.  It took Edmond fire and rescue 1.5 hours and 2 calls to non emergency to get found and towed in.  But it was a beautiful evening an almost full moon and not a ripple on the lake and the temp wasn't bad I was comfortable in the hoodie that I had on.  I feel better about it today than I did then.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
It happens to the BEST of us. If there is one person on this board who has never been towed in I would be surprised!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Well ...

I guess that can happen on occasion when you try to bulletproof a bullet like Burnin' Daylight huh?

Chris is right...better on the lake then with the Mississippi's current washing you down to New Orleans!

Barb - think of them as 'growing pains' :)

I'm sure that engine will be back in and ready for the next outdrive in no time.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:03:53 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Being towed in is not so bad .. having to swim back ... that really would suck!!  ;D

.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »
With automobile differentials it is necessary to break in new gears before going full throttle on them.  Does the same thing apply to outboard drives like this?

Perhaps the next time out someone should drive a chase boat.  Of course the chase boat needs to be fast enough to keep up.  I heard of a certain Glastron in your neighborhood which fits that requirement.  Olered & Barb in Burning Daylight, and I am sure we could find a few 'volunteers' to help drive the chase boat.  Strictly as a safety measure, of course.  :D

All kidding aside, I am looking forward to the videos of both boats running full throttle and side by side.  That will be an absolutely awesome sight to see!   ;D

Offline Jerry

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »
With automobile differentials it is necessary to break in new gears before going full throttle on them. 

There is no such thing as breaking in rear-end gears. If they are set up properly they're ready to go. GLM  makes heavy duty gears for most outdrives. Just saying.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »
Barb... I feel for ya. I know how much you love this boat, and how much you have put into it just this year. BUT... It seems like you are wasting no time getting on it and getting it done, which is good. Nothing I hate to see more than someone falling off the horse and just laying there face down in the mud. Seems like you've got the right attitude. AND... As I know you are aware, you've got a hotrod now, and this is no different than blowin a rear at the track. Ya take it home, get it fixed, and be back to show 'em what ya got. Hope it comes together quick for you. I know you'll get it all straightened out and have one bada$$ Intimidator. Get her dialed in, cause I want a ride in August!
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »
Being towed in is not so bad .. having to swim back ... that really would suck!!  ;D

Too Funny Chris ... looks kinda like an ant pulling a bale of hay ... LOL
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »
Barb showed up at my place early this morning with her "tool purse" wearing a ball cap and said "lets get at it"  so, not wanting to get any more knots on my head we went right to work on the motor, run a compression check on it first, good readings 150 / 158,  drained the oil, removed the exhaust manifolds, turned it up-side down and pulled the rod bearing caps, checked out just as good, no bent rods, put it back together, new pan gasket, new oil & filter, turned it right side up, run the valves, new gaskets, replaced the manifolds ... ready to go back in the boat.

and Yes, there is suposed to be flappers in the exhaust tips on her boat, and I got the material "somewhere" to cut some new one's to put in it, her and I talked about it a couple times, but she has been driving this baby 16 years with-out them, being careful, with no problems,  just didn't think about a drive to bring it down to a sudden halt, and Yes again, we were Lucky there was no motor damage.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 11:46:27 PM »

There is no such thing as breaking in rear-end gears. If they are set up properly they're ready to go. GLM  makes heavy duty gears for most outdrives. Just saying.

Right Jerry,  the only thing I do after a new gear change is to replace the lube after the first couple hours, and clean off the magnet,  I have always seen a little "flake" on a new set of gears.

The fellow that has been building my drives for Years quit the business, we bought this drive from a fellow with good reports from Lake Havasu Az.  He is standing behind the drive, in fact, building another one with 1.32 gear ratio, loosened up a little to reduce the heat.   I didn't tell him what would be spinning his work to start with, but after seeing Barb's video, he has accepted the challenge to build one that will stand up.  Dan,  the builder, has a CV-23 he is currently re-building and built a motor and drive in an effort to get the boat up into the 80's.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jerry

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 01:42:27 AM »
Does he use the GLM gears?
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »
Does he use the GLM gears?

He use's Mercruiser parts, I bought the new gears already,  I didn't even know GLM made gears, but I'm certainly open to trying some for my Gen II.
1980 23ft Scimitar