Author Topic: Life Lessons ... seeking advice  (Read 4825 times)

Offline WetRaider

Life Lessons ... seeking advice
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:15:46 PM »
Not much of a boat topic here, but after meeting a good handful of you, I will welcome any advice on the following:

Courtney and I are in a pickle.  The short version is that I was losing more contracts than I was signing when we lived in San Antonio.  I studied architecture, interior design and urban design in college - graduated with an accredited degree.  The professional licensure program is very long and involved - I've taken and passed two of my three licensing exams.  I will take the third in October.  While in Texas, I owned a design-build firm.  At first it was ideal - there was some good design work and clients were receptive to paying for design.  Over a couple years, I found myself attracting clients that wanted design for free ... so I entertained them by becoming a general contractor - I could design their project and then build it.  A little more time passes and I'm working construction more than design.  By 2009 I had watched about $3.5 Million worth of contracts walk out the door because the clients had lost so much portfolio value, or lost jobs & couldn't pay for what they'd signed up for.

Courtney had been a stay at home mom and had a very strong calling to pursue her career.  Her degree is Healthcare Administration, with additional work towards elderly care & dementia.  She's a licensed nursing home administrator and was offered a job in Centerville.  The original plan was to get 2-3 years experience under her belt and begin looking for work in a more metropolitan area.  We thought I might be able to find some work, too.

Centerville and southern Iowa has been rough.  The culture is something we cannot change, nor something we can tolerate for very much longer.  Granted, there are a handful of good people around and we enjoy visiting with them, but on the whole this is not a place we want to raise the kids.  She recently changed jobs - locally.  She had been recruited for several months from a local employer and by Christmas last year he had made an offer that was too good to pass up.  Courtney is the Director of Senior Living and "manages" a start-up home health, independent senior living community, assisted living community, and a skilled nursing facility (nursing home).  Her boss is 50% owner of the assisted living facility.  Another guy, who lives in New Jersey, owns the other half - as well as 100% of the other businesses.  The big owner visits once a year and is pretty much hands off - it's a philanthropy thing for him - he contributes considerable financial sums to community services out here.  The 50% boss is local & as Courtney learns more and more about his businesses in town, she is discovering that he's kind-of built a house of cards.  In the short time that Courtney has worked for him, on more than one occasion she's felt like she's being set up to be the "fall guy" so that when something goes bad her boss has someone to point the finger at.  When you add that up with the culture shock that hasn't quite grown on us, we're about ready to panic.

Soooo ... She and I had switched places in 2009 and I became the stay-at-home dad.  We want much more for our family than we see as realistic here.  With a healthcare administration degree and a couple years (consecutive & current) experience as a full-on facility administrator it shouldn't be too difficult for Courtney to find work somewhere else.  I, on the other hand, have a problem.  I've been self employed since 2003.  I can't get hired locally because I'm over qualified.  $10/hour is a good paying job out here, unless you're in the medical community or gov't employee.  We've just about decided that I should start looking.  Anywhere and everywhere.  If I can find an appropriate job at an architecture or interior design firm, then she can start looking wherever that may be for her own employment.  We don't hesitate at thinking Twin Cities - Minneapolis would have a fair number of design firms to look at.  I've looked at Nashville, TN, too.  We'd like a larger, metropolitan area with lots of things to do (and preferably, an NBA team) and a good place to raise kids.  I guess I'm asking to open up the network.  If any of you are friends with, or go to church with, an architect or someone who might have some insight on where I could look for work ... I'd appreciate any information.  Any advice from those that have been through something similar.  What worked?  What didn't?  

For those that are interested, my website is www.daniel-ia.com  -  The portfolio page needs some serious work, but I did the website myself and I don't write code.  As soon as I can figure out some small thumbnails that enlarge on roll over/hover I will update.  Not all projects in my client's list were ground up design and construction.  Several were consulting jobs where I helped with preliminary design and budgeting, feasibility analysis, etc.  
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Life Lessons ... seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
You'd like the TC's I think Dan.  Heck, I'd like the TC's.

I know you guys are struggling.  Nothing for Courtney in Des Moines?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »
Doran ... Des Moines has a few opportunities coming up, in a sense.  There's a handful of people setting up for retirement, but you can't force them out before they're ready.  She's got a great contact in Minneapolis already, only he's been truthful with her and she'd see about a 35% pay cut to start working for him.  We won't go anywhere else without my employment set first.  Healthcare will be everywhere ... my artistic and creative stuff, not so much. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline Tmstibbe

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »
Occasionally a position with the Wisconsin University system comes up for a campus designer.   Each of the 17 campuses have one.  It would be a State employee position, you would have to check out the state job bulletin on the web.  Tom Stibbe

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »
Tom, I owe you a reply e-mail ... check your inbox shortly. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »
I would say that architect and interior design in the Twin Cities are not thriving at the present time. Our Company had a customer who was an architect and his wife an interior designer and he seemed sharp and a really nice guy. But he left us with a bad debt and filed bankrupy. Can not speak with authority on the overall picture, but commercial and residential construction is weak but slowly making a comeback. Pockets of new construction for the big contractors with financing. 
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline kert0307

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
Have you looked in Davenport? It seems like a lot of companies have been moving over there lately. Most from IL to escape the rising taxes over there.

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »
Thanks for the insight.  David, I would say that you are right for the largest part.  My clients in San Antonio were primarily retirement age - I was designing and building their retirement homes.  At an average of about $550,000 ... they were good sized projects, but really represented about all of a lifetime of savings for the client.  They wanted a million dollar home because they had worked so hard to get where they were.  I've got a friend, my licensed sponsor who owns her own design firm in San Antonio, and she hasn't noticed a blip at all.  The economy tanked, but her clients kept spending.  We had a housewarming party at a $17 Million dollar home.  She said a $4.5 million project was a waste of her time.  Clients with pockets that deep aren't quite as affected as the rest of us.  While I'm sure some of the building has slowed, I'm quite certain there is a fair amount of uninterrupted money in the TC's area that is being spent on lake homes, renovations, etc.

David, sorry to hear about the bad debt.  It's happened.  I've been left holding the bad debt, too.  Let one house go at cost just to get it closed and off the books so I wouldn't have any more interest to pay.  (For out of town clients, I would often finance the construction so they could get a purchase loan with one-time-close rather than have to close on construction funds and then again on the final sale.)  I've put liens on properties and sat in court a couple times trying to get paid, too.  That's one of the other reasons I'd like to go back to working at a firm, rather than on my own.  I'm 35 - I've got plenty of time to go out on my own later, when the kids are grown and can take care of themselves.

I'd like to think that if I can't get a million dollar client for a ground-up project ... maybe I can get one for a $200,000 kitchen.  Perhaps build a portfolio piece by piece that in a couple year's time I can secure a complete project based on the higher end product and design.  I'll check out Davenport ... I'll check out anywhere.  Any other ideas are welcome.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »
$200,000 kitchen.

That is insane. Why would someone put that much into a kitchen? Just think of how many Glaston's you could own!

I agree though, remodels seem to be where it's at right now. We just remodeled our kitchen (For a lot less than 200K) and the contractors we used for the counter top and cabinets were VERY busy with other projects too.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline MarkS

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »
I've got a brother still living in the Cedar Rapids area Dan, I'll gladly have him check around there.  (Although I believe that market probably isn't much different from where you are now.)  In many states the State Dept. of Labor has job search capabilities, in any area you would like to focus.  I know the construction business here in the Atlanta area is still way off, but starting to recover very slowly on the more affluent "north side" of town.  Best of luck with whatever you decide, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »
$200,000 kitchen.

That is insane. Why would someone put that much into a kitchen? Just think of how many Glaston's you could own!

Yes, a $200,000 kitchen would be insane to a lot of people.  My license sponsor owns a design firm and I've heard her say "$4.5 Million?  What a f*&$ing waste of time."  On one project in particular, she had a retainer fee of $10,000 PER WEEK.  This happened to be the type of client who would call you one afternoon and ask you to go antique shopping in Spain or Italy the very next day.  It was all their dime, and she did it, and the house totaled $17 Million when it was finished.  Everything in that house was new except for the pictures that were put inside new picture frames.  It was total design, all the way down to dishes and silverware.  Every subcontractor had to go through the design firm for a uniform shirt for all people required on the property so that they could be identified by the property owner or the security company.

It is entirely beyond my comprehension as a homeowner.  As someone who would go in and do the design work, though, I see it as considerably more than just new cabinets and countertops.  A $200,000 kitchen would have about $20,000 in design fees only.  More than likely be stripped down to bare studs and open floor joists.  Plumbing moved around, new windows, new ceiling, custom designed and hand-milled cabinetry.  I've picked out slabs of stone for kitchens that are $13,400 - for the blank slab.  It still had to be fabricated into a finished top.  And that was in a $690,000 home.  I've used $33 per square foot tile, too.  It doesn't take long using boutique level high-end product to rack up the cost.

It's all relative.  I wouldn't spend it, personally.  But I'd have no problem designing it for someone interested in spending that.  That's where my talents are.  If I'm not pushing them, they're useless.  At some point I need a big budget to be challenged in my design abilities.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
"  I agree though, remodels seem to be where it's at right now.  "

Heard that also from people who remodeled our house, people who brought there house in the last few years are so far underneath it that it's there only option aside from walking away from it.
Fix it up and live there intil things get better ...

" $200,000 kitchen. "

Would not be that hard to do ... The hard part would be paying for it ... LOL

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:54 AM »
I have a good friend of mine who is taking over the family construction business.  I've known him for about 20 years, in that time his family has finished 5 houses (and some smaller projects) of these 5 houses, all were on Lake Minnetonka, all were in the Wayzata/Ferndale neighborhood and the cheapest was $10 mil.  Some of his clients were the Pohlads, Carlsons and the CEO of TCF.  He boasts that he has a 15 year old job trailer with only 10 miles on it.

He would take me in to look at these houses when they were toward the end of construction, some of what these people do is so over the top its unbelievable, one guy built a $200,000 boat house next to the lake, which is illegal per DNR regs, so he pays a $20,000 fine every year to have it there.
limping through life's little suprises