Author Topic: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!  (Read 53670 times)

Offline Scott in nh

Re: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »
Self explanatory

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 07:51:16 PM »
Are you using the garboard drain for something else?  Thought about using  one for oil drain, but later decided to fill it in.  Looks like a good transom repair.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 09:04:42 AM »
Are you using the garboard drain for something else?  Thought about using  one for oil drain, but later decided to fill it in.  Looks like a good transom repair.

This in my first outdrive, so I am not sure I understand the purpose of the 2nd hole.

It was connected to what is probably a check valve on the side of the motor - cooling outlet? Drain?

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
Hopefully this will do.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:20 PM »
I saw a boat that had the garboard drain plug with a small chain on it that connected to a hose with a plug for draining the engine oil, but not sure if someone did that custom or if that was a factory installation.  Maybe someone else may comment?  In the end  I ended up restoring the vacuum oil drain system.   Your forms look spot on, well done.  Keep us updated, always interested in learning a better way.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 03:49:05 PM »
Well, it looks like I lost the race with the weather to get enough woodwork and fiberglassing done to continue with putting the engine and outdrive back in.

I thought if I could get  that much done, I wouldn't lose a usable month now and/or in the spring waiting for it to get warm enough to glass.

But I'm far enough behind that I still have plenty of cool weather work left - grinding, making patterns and cutting/fitting wood.

I am also considering (after I do a compression test) getting an engine stand and bringing the engine into the basement for the winter.

It is currently well covered on my motorcycle trailer.

I figure if it has good compression, I can clean and paint it, put an electronic points replacement system from Hot-spark in the distributor and who knows - maybe put a 4 barrel on it.

If I am feeling rich I might replace the exhaust manifolds (one has a crappy JB Weld repair) with some spiffy center rise ones.

It's a long winter up here - have to dream about something!

Offline MarkS

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »
Fall seems to be setting in early down here in GA as well Scott.  It's amazing how much stuff you can come up with to do in the colder months though, sounds like you have a good plan on keeping busy.
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
Fall seems to be setting in early down here in GA as well Scott.  It's amazing how much stuff you can come up with to do in the colder months though, sounds like you have a good plan on keeping busy.

It's been a little nicer this week, but the GT160 is out of the water and the docks are on dry land - so ends it.
I do need to keep working on it rather than completely losing momentum...
Thanks for the encouragment

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 09:44:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

lots to report on, but it is just the buildup before the war lol.

Fall had arrived early, but it looks like spring is arriving early too!

Over the winter we acquired a sewing machine and bought 15 linear yards of vinyl.

Trying to keep it somewhat true to the seventies style, but neither of us liked the original color so we went with a lighter blue that more closely matches the light blue on the hull.

We will give the piping a shot (I bought a piping foot for the sewing machine), but it will probably be to hard for us and our sewing machine.

We are keeping the buttons, but are hoping to find a shop that will make them from material we supply rather than buying the machine and trying to hand crank out about 150 buttons!

Fortunately all of our foam, less one piece, is in good shape - if anybody has a good bow seat base foam I'd like it rather than trying to make one.

I found a navy blue cut pile marine carpet, not as deep and darker than the original, but again honoring the original style - haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

You probably saw my other post on the cracked exhaust manifold - I just used my bonus to buy the center rise kit.

The PO had put the 2 bbl intake manifold and carb from the 305 onto the 350 - I also ordered an Edlebrock manifold, but will hold off on purchasing a marine carb until I am closer to needing it.

So I have what appears to be a recently rebuilt 2 bbl and manifold for sale if anybody needs one.

I am hoping to be back at grinding, cutting and glassing in 2-3 weeks and baring any bad luck (knock on wood) want to get it wet in June with or without an interior!

traveling next week - full speed ahead after that!

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »
Good Luck Scott!  I have the itch to get back to working on my CVZ-18, but it is still march and I am going to wait to uncover her until at least the end of april or early may. I would love to be laying glass and installing the bulk heads with the temps we have had here in central Nebraska the past two weeks.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
So here we are well into summer and no surprise I still have a lot of work to do!

We did not have good weather here this past spring and i was traveling a lot for work.

That said, stringers are PB'd in, flooring is being cut/fitted, and we made one cushion cover!

Sorry no pics, I'll have a few soon.

I'm very sure I made getting the stringers cut and installed much harder than it needed to be, but without a template to go on, it took me forever and a day to come up with a decent way to create a template and just as long to cut, fit and glue them in.

Now making the plywood for the floors is going at a much better pace, but I am spending a good amount of time getting them to fit really nicely.

Rather than cardboard, I stapled clear plastic to the stringer, pulled it tight and then used a sharpie to mark where to cut it.

Transferred that to the wood and then just cut, trim and sand until it fits  :)

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »
When I did my Z, the floor breaks up front.  Just forward of the floor fuel tank port, the floor go down towards the bow.  You could see it in the original stringers.  A curve under for the hull, and two angles on top.  Glad to hear your making progress, stringers, floor, and transom seemed to take forever.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2016, 09:27:57 AM »
Made some more progress, coated the 2 rear and 2 side plywood floors with resin and went ahead and started glassing the stringers in.

The only bad news was that I started when nobody was home at the camp next door, but they arrived after I was committed to glassing, and I had so much resin going I think I stunk them out and they left for home  :-/

Nice folks so I try not to be that guy, but cutting, grinding, sanding, glassing all bring some bad news....

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2016, 03:16:08 PM »
More progress - rear and side floors are in.

The boat is in the yard and I drag dirt into it every time I get in and out.

How do I keep it clean until sealed?

The engine compartment will have gelcoat to seal it, should the final coat of resin before the carpeting have wax added to it?

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »
Scott, are you putting in the front bulkhead and stringer to the bow? The CVZ-18 I am rebuilding had a bulkhead in front of the fuel tank and a small stringer that went from that bulkhead to the front of the hull.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 08:01:02 AM »
Scott, are you putting in the front bulkhead and stringer to the bow? The CVZ-18 I am rebuilding had a bulkhead in front of the fuel tank and a small stringer that went from that bulkhead to the front of the hull.

Yes I am, that and the one at the rear of the tank are going in this weekend.

Pretty much duplicating what the factory did.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »
When I restored my CVZ, I believed the stringers were original, but the floor was newer.  My stringers were, and the new ones are, continuous from transom to bow.  There is a cross in front of my tank.  I rewelded and bedlinered my tank after pressure testing as my new floor is solid side to side.  Might have made sense to allow the center to open, but instead I made rubber blocks that I epoxied in place to support the tank and allow a 3/4 gap to allow water to drain to bilge.  Let's hope no fuel leaks develop. 
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »
My tank is perfect, it still even has a signature on it from when it was tested or installed at the factory.
I have already foamed under the installed floors to prevent water incursion.
I may or may not foam the gas tank in, but am not installing any drains.
Instead I will be sure that it is sealed against water.
I don't plan on adding the access ports to the tank area as I feel that they can always be added if the tank sender or fittings require service (I will install a new sender now).

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2016, 11:33:55 PM »
Put both access ports back in, it's the only way to check for leaks, and have access to the tanks only fittings. If your center section above the tank can be removed, then I suppose you could do without them, but since mine is solid, I needed the ports.   Which, btw, I had to redo the fittings on the rear, the vent leaked at first tank fill up.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »
I will leak test (pressure test) before sealing the tank in.

My concern with the access covers is that they will leak allowing water into a space with no drain.

My experience with drains is they do a better job of letting water in than out and are where the rot typically starts!

I can always cut the access ports in if a problem arises!

I'll agree if they are completely sealed I won't be able to detect a leak (still thinking this one through).