Author Topic: Merc Laser 2 21p prop hub identification  (Read 8626 times)

Offline aquamaniac

Re: Merc Laser 2 21p prop hub identification
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »
Your 2.0 liter 135 V6 should have come with a 2:1 gear ratio. The 1.87:1 gears were used on the 2.4 liter motors.

My 1986 135 V6 and my 1998 135 V6 both had 2:1 gear ratios. Here is the 1988 spec page from Mercury for the 2.0 liter motors.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 02:52:40 AM »
Great thanks, I think, now that's confusing as I counted the pinion gear teeth as advised and it was the one for the 1.87, well at least I think it was. Can you advise?

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 03:20:29 AM »
Great thanks again and you were absolutely spot on!!! it's the 14 teeth version which is the 2. ratio so I need to get the same prop and not a different pitch. Thanks for your help, nearly made a massive and expensive mistake there!!!

:) 8)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 05:38:23 AM »
Now I have a massive issue, I purchased what I thought was the right new lower unit and it is right except one very important thing, and that's the length!!!!!!!!

I was told it was an X long but it seems to be 6 inches shorter than the X long so it can only be a Long, Mercury won't take it back as I purchased through a reseller and it was shipped into the UK so I am now stuck with a new prop, new lower unit that won't fit... Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been trying to locate a Mercury 5" extension sleeve 78147 but can't get one in the UK. Plus if I got one of those I would also need the water pipe, gear change shaft extension and longer studs, which are also not available in the UK. The only other option I can think of is to get a NEW long shaft and bearings and replace that in the new unit (voiding my warranty).

So either way I am totally stuck. I got up and 03:30 this morning travelled 120 KM to fit the new unit to find out it was wrong. I'm so so annoyed right now I feel like just giving up.....  :-[ :( >:( :'(

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
You got a Long 20" on your motor now and you just brough a X-long 25" LU ?
Your CVX needs a long shaft 20", a X-long 25" will have issues on a long shaft transom.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
Thanks Gregg and yep that's exactly right, so I guess the only option now id to buy a new long shaft and have that installed into the lower unit voiding the warranty. Or if I buy the extension plate and make it an extra long but move the mount plate up 3 holes, wgich should move the prop up into about the same position, the only worry I would have with that is the weight of the block would by 5" higher... mmm do you know what issues the XL would create?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:04:04 PM by UKMike »

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
So I'm really confused now.  I thought the CVX hulls required a 20" outboard, the 25" were used on tall transoms and some pontoons.  So you have a LU for a 20", isn't that what came off your motor?  Or you had a 25", bought a new 20", and your looking to extend it?  Most performance folks are trying to get the LU higher via backplates and modified transoms.  In the end, the cavitation  plate is roughly even with hull bottom.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
Maybe Rich or Dane will see this and respond as I'm just guessing ..

Friend had a small Checkmate with short shaft (15") transom, he couldn't find a SS motor so mounted a long (20") shaft motor.
This was 100 years ago and we didn't know what a JP was back then or if there even was such a thing .. LOL
Boat would porpoise bad ! He didn't have T&T but pretty sure that wouldn't have helped much. Also sure he lost some speed ..

So .. I'm guessing here .. a X-long LU would have a longer drive shaft and shift shaft but be the same otherwise ?
You could replace shafts with long (20") shaft parts, guessing that would be very expensive ..

I know they made shaft extensions for 4 & 6 cyl. Merc's but not sure about V6's.
Have you looked on eBay to see if any parts are available ?

You could make a X-long work with a JP, not sure how much weight it would add, but I don't think it would be that bad.
JP would add weight also ..

Or you could sell X-long on CL or eBay and buy a long (20") shaft LU.
I'm still kind of confused on what you did or want to do.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
Maybe why you got the wrong one ?

From a post by Rich on FB …

By today's standards there are no more 15 inch short shaft engines above something like 30 hp so they consider 20 inch as a short shaft, 25 inch is long shaft, and 30 inch extra long.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
Yes I purchased the 25"XL shaft as that's what I was told it was but the correct one is a 20" lower unit.

So the new unit I have purchased has the longer drive shaft, so I either purchase the extension plate with gear extension and water XL water pipe or I purchase a new shorter 20" shaft and break down the new lower unit and put the 20" in it stead of the 25".

I think that will work and that they are the same diameter but I'm not sure and that's why I really need advice. The inky other thing I can think of doing is buying the extensions to make the new long shaft fit and the raise the motor up 3 hole on the transome mount so the the prop is about the same height as it was with the 20".

Would the prop being an extra 5" deeper in the water be better or worse?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »
"Would the prop being an extra 5" deeper in the water be better or worse?"

You will lose speed and maybe start proposing.
Lifting your motor all the way up will help, but not sure how high it will go.
Distance from top hole to bottom hole on my 1989 Mariner 115 HP motor is 3".
Yours mounting holes look about the same as mine.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »
So I guess it would work and as you say approx 3" so would only be 2" deeper than it is now. That does worry me though if that 2" could change things that much, I know it was finely tuned and the setup was just right. So I guess I have no option but to get a new 20" shaft and put it in. I had better get the shop to do this as I'm not too good with the shimming and backlash settings.

Does anyone k ow if I can put a new 20" shaft in the XL LU without causing any issues?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »
You could check out a site with parts break down, to see which parts will work.
Crowley Marine,
http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_mercruiser_parts.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2q-O7vzi3QIVCYlpCh3BcwBJEAAYAyAAEgJcSvD_BwE

Quick scan of parts .. And I'm not sure if there the right parts you need .. BUT …
Drive shaft = $660
Shift shaft = $60

You should check with a shop / Mercury dealer about parts and laborer.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 03:17:49 AM »
Great thanks, I think it needs to get it to the shop and they can put in a new long shaft and set the backlash.

Thanks again Gregg, much appreciated.

Offline aquamaniac

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 04:48:07 PM »
Have you tried the Reseller that you used to purchase this lower unit? Maybe they will take it back. A restocking fee might be cheaper than purchasing new drive and shift shafts.

What was wrong with your old lower unit? Can you reuse components to do the conversion?

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the response and the old unit had just been rebuilt but didn't know if the vibration was coming from the prop or the main drive shaft, replaced just about everything but the propeller "laser 2 fixed mount and the main drive shaft. So the issue was with one or the other. So I decided to get a new lower unit and new prop but the lower unit I got was an XL not a long, so I have since purchased a long shaft and had the shop fit it in the new lower unit, so everything is now new BUT I now have another issue that I just can't believe......

I've put the new tempest pro prop on tonight and all good except the prop is bigger than my laser 2 by quite a bit, but that's expected as it's a better prop BUT again the issue I now have is that the anode is now in the way of the prop, does anyone know if there is a different anode or a cap to cover the anode plate hole?

I was told that this prop is the replacement for the laser 2 but it seems too big, hitting the anode is no good obviously and it's a good job I fitted this in my bathroom or I could have had real issues when putting it in drive for the first time!!!!

Should I send the prop back?

Best
UKMike

Offline aquamaniac

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »
There are different styles of anode plates, with and without the torque tab. The Tempest is a high rake angle prop and that is why it interferes with the standard anode.

One like this might work. I do not know if this is the correct part number for your 135.

https://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-822777Q1-Aluminum-Trim-Anode/dp/B000RZSJJ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=boating-water-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1539293299&sr=1-1&keywords=trim+tab+anode

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
Thanks Aquamaniac,

I was really disappointed when I saw it would hit the new tab that came with the lower unit, but if it's easy to resolve then that's great, do you suggest getting an aluminium one so that it works as a anode too or does it not matter?

Offline aquamaniac

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »
Since you are operating in salt water, I think the anode would be important.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
Thanks again, do you know where I can see a parts list of the Merc anodes for the 135 with the props with extra rake? That link you posted shows 35 and above, it is probably the one I need but I want to make sure as I will need to import it so want it right.

Best
UKMike