Author Topic: replacing the Glastron steering wheel  (Read 5358 times)

Offline melinprov

replacing the Glastron steering wheel
« on: January 11, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »
so....if you have to replace your steering wheel and you want to use a after market brand what do you get? I'm thinking about a chrome and black steering wheel that is most likely automotive. Do you need a adapter or can the one on the wheel on the boat be adapted? or do you just cinch it down good. I have not removed mine yet to look at it. also---do they make replicas of the center Glastron decoration logo piece that I may be able to either use on the original or put on the new one? Thanks again for any help.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: replacing the Glastron steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 05:07:07 PM »

Do a search for "Marine Steering wheels" on Google. Plenty of styles to choose from.
Most Teleflex steering helm are tapered with a key.

Aaron and Maciej have decals.

American Runabouts
https://www.facebook.com/bootrestauration/?hc_ref=ARREuWvgcp6L5-2Yg81f6fe9u6E8rwTRgwPSPfOF66XCPWJMJ2bnaR2gCjevXiQWBfo&fref=nf

There eBay store ...
https://www.ebay.de/str/americanrunabouts?fbclid=IwAR22vDQJc_s9tAWdTPZiYTeHu87Db6y3eD8NZMpPGtIg3xWlZ6CCavXxIXw

eBay store ...
http://www.ebay.com/usr/szczecin1994?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:22:51 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline melinprov

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 06:45:53 AM »
Thank you for the info! Having only removed automotive type steering wheels I was a little confused! , after looking at the wheel closer and doing the look up on the marine wheels I now understand. This is like a year ago when I couldn't remove a bolt on the boat because I didn't understand it was metric.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »
I sat in front of wheel with knees on bottom and one hand on top, and hit wheel mounting bolt with rubber faced hammer while putting pressure. Took a while but came off.
You could also check eBay, lot of wheel styles that came on Glastrons also came on other brands of boats.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:17:01 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline melinprov

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
Thanks...we may hit 39 degrees tomorrow and if we do I'm going to try to get the steering wheel off. I did put some WD40 over it to let it soak and I do have a puller. On another note, I removed my gauges from my old cracked and worn dash and they came out very easy. I do have some corrosion rust on one of the bezels but it all looks in very good shape. I have to test them and make a new dash as well as clean them. Has anyone ever opened up the gauges to get at the face...can it even be done?

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 09:02:46 PM »
I have a complete dash panel in yellow that is in better shape than your original. A little fiberglass reinforcement and it should be good. If you want it I will cut you a deal on it.

Brandon
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 09:59:25 PM »
Concerning the gauges, it kinda depends on your end goal.  If you want original gauges the look new, I'd call Kocian, they are in MN.  They rebuild yours.  Now if OEM is not a concern, then I'd go new faria, Autometer, or SW.  Others do exist, depends on preference.  Aftermarket has lots of options, you can have several indications in one gauge, then add things like depth indicator in unused holes.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline melinprov

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 12:14:41 PM »
 I did look at those gauges that give you a digital read out of several items with a traditional look on top of it, I like it but I'm not sure what I would do with all the extra space. Even though I'm updating the interior somewhat I do like a 70s kind of dash and wheel, I'm pretty sure I will end up with at least some new gauges especialy if I have some that are still good- and then I will try to match the style but otherwise I may go with a black set of gauges into a steel panel much like a Conroy. The wheel will be a black with chrome like a 70s muscle car type. I did struggle with if I should completely restore the boat to stock or go my own way on some of the design. No go on the weather-high of 22 today next window is on Thursday to hit 39 ( maybe ) to get that wheel off- thanks for the offer 75 Starflight/Brandon. All in all this is not just to get a boat on the water but a journey to work on the boat, I love this part of it but I'm looking forward to getting it on the water also

Offline melinprov

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:24 PM »
OK now I'm confused...thought I would brave the cold and attempt to take off the steering wheel---its not a nut but a bolt holding it on, turning it just seems to spin it-this kind of steering wheel on mine. Anyone else seen this?. Doing more investigation now

Offline melinprov

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:01:02 PM »
Hmmmm...

Offline cv-19

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »
 That is a Ride Guide steering rack you have. The chrome center cap pulls off straight
don't turn it or the holding tabs will break off . Has a long center through bolt that holds
the wheel on .It has a nut on the back side and a bolt head on wheel side 1/2 in. socket
I think.The steering shaft is square so you have to pull the wheel straight to get it off.
The center cap decal with the big G is on ebay for sale , there are 2 different sizes, check
with Arron if you cant find them.

Offline cv-19

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »
They also have the  chrome  stickers for the 3 center spokes for that wheel. Look under Glastron parts.

Offline cv-19

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »
 Check out Ride Guide steering wheels on ebay you  may find one you like .
They don't make replacement cables for that rack so you would have to
get a NOS or used one if you had to replace it. Square shaft rack so new wheel would be 
round tapered and you would have to get or make an adaptor for it if you replace it with a different brand.

Offline melinprov

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 06:22:49 PM »
WILL DO! with the chrome inserts and a new cap I'm totally for keeping this wheel! The new ones I was looking at would be the same design so why not keep it!

Offline melinprov

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 06:35:35 PM »
I just placed my order, I do have the insert/cap book marked already and will get it also...Thanks again!

Offline cv-19

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 09:51:05 PM »

There are 2 different size G decals. Your cap takes the smaller one. Make sure to check
the size first before you order. Did you get the PM    I sent you?

Offline melinprov

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 06:33:02 AM »
CV 19 yes Thank you!