Author Topic: Merc 1 questions (dumb)  (Read 1918 times)

Offline california special

Merc 1 questions (dumb)
« on: March 20, 2019, 07:20:43 AM »
1 would the old bottom mounted mr power steering pump work with the alpha one gen 1 power steering rack. Assuming I change the hoses because the ends are obviously different. Not sure if the newer style pump produces more pressure.
2 can you replace the skinny mr cylinders with the larger alpha 1? I already have an alpha pump with the skinny cylinders and it works fast and has no reverse lock. My main concern is the height tilted up,I don't want to crack the gimbal ring. I believe the alpha cylinders allow the trim to go further down?
3 with the older style steering arm fit on the alpha 1 steering shaft? I'm trying to change my transom assembly without changing the inner transom plate. I like the clean look of the power steering down low and shift plat on the back of the bell housing. Thanks
just marine tex it!

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Merc 1 questions (dumb)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:48 AM »
Concerning power steering, I'm running a later model Saginaw pump with MR vintage power steering components.   Never had any issues.  As for trim, I've used several different pumps and arm combos, again with no problems.   The newer, and larger, rams on the later alpha seemed to slow the lift down slightly.  As for damage to the bell, I'd recommend measuring travel with no cylinders hooked up, then see how high the unit lifts with them.  I have several vintages of drive rams, I could measure open and closed lengths if you need, maybe the info is out there somewhere already?
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline fireman24mn

Re: Merc 1 questions (dumb)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:20:11 AM »
The Gen 2 drive has a different size rod/ pivot point on the back of the rams.  On my Gen 2 I was also able to buy spacers and put them in the rams to limit the amount of upward travel. They may work in the older rams or they may sell them for them as well. I needed this because I raised the drive to.

I think the MR and Gen 1 are the same travel distance aren't they. I think you get more travel when they switched to the gen 2 however I am not certain.

As far as the shift plate you can mount them anywhere. I mounted mine to the transom out of the way.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft