Author Topic: Project Scimitar 2  (Read 14683 times)

Offline wexrocks

Re: Project Scimitar 2
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
Shrom, I was very happy to throw that interior on the burn pile! what you can't see in that picture is all the moss growing on the floor.  :o

Hyperacme, I did not (yet) have the honor of riding in Red's almighty Scimitar. but I have wanted a ride in one of these for a long time. kinda doubt mine will be ready for the meet, so if he is willing, his will likely be the first ride in a Scimitar for me. but, I'm gonna do my best to make bringing mine a possibility. if not, the CVZ-19 will do me proud, I'm sure.

spent most of today under my tent rig. got some more done, including removal of the port side stringer up to the dash, separated the side and kick panels from the hull (so I can get ready to split the hull), some interior panels, the helm, and the gauge panel. it was pouring down mostof the day, but temps were in the 50's, so not too bad under the tent. just a pain to climb in and out everytime I realized I needed more tools!  ::)

because I haven't decided where I am going to set it up to split, I think I am gonna tear into the transom next. that should be an adventure. all the wood in this boat is rotted, or well on it's way, but just not quite rotted enough to make this job easier. but, it's moving along fairly well, so I won't complain too much!

Pictures:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:04:21 PM by dorelse »
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline V153

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »
Think I see a potential problem. That looks like a very strange steering arrangement ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »
Think I see a potential problem. That looks like a very strange steering arrangement ...

ya know, when I was looking at that picture, I was thinking, who is gonna be the wisea$$ to make the comment about the steering wheel... so here it is...

I was thinking maybe I would duct tape a 2X4 to the Bravo, run it up to the roof and I could straddle where the T-tops are, and steer from up top, like a flybridge. with a hot foot (mounted on the dash) and a yard stick taped to the shifter... that would certainly save me the trouble of an interior. and, I could mount a porti-potti in the middle of the floor. any thoughts?

;D good eye V153... as sore as I am from being bent over under the tarp, and all the times I caught my hand with the hammer while chiselling out stringers, I am still loving this project! a few original staples thru fingers and screwdrivers thru my palm, and I am ready for more (maybe a tetnis shot?). I've got the project fever. there is something about a Glastron/Carlson that motivates you...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 05:54:12 PM »
Nice tent you got there. Tell me, do you have a cot in there to sleep on? You should probably look in to that. Then you can start working on it as soon as you get up. ;) I might have one to lend you...
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »
 :D good one Shrom! considering how uncomfortable crawling around under that tarp, and crawling around in general is (pretty sore today, projects like this make me feel old!) I think that I should at least sleep in the comfort of my bed. a few years ago, I might have taken you up on that cot though.  ;D

I've just been squeezing this project in anywhere I can. I gotta say, working full time really screws up my project schedule! but, I do feel like I have accomplished a good bit if you include stripping out the donor boat and all, so I do feel like I'm getting somewhere. I guess if these kinds of projects were quick and easy, there wouldn't be nearly as much satisfaction or enjoyment when they're done. so, I guess when this is done, I'll just have to make sure I enjoy the heck out of it (hammer down!)  ;D
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »
Way to go Steve tear her up.  I found out with Burnin Daylight putting it back together is a whole lot more fun than tearing it apart.  But it is alot more expen$ive.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »
Well, I spent the day under the tarp again today. I had to move my whole "big top" operation to in front of the garage, so that I had air lines to run cut-off wheels and air grinders. we were forecasted to get another 2 to 3 inches of rain today. all I know is it rained all day. I managed to stay dry under the tarp though. I was sitting on my bucket today under the tarp wondering if I should be building an ark instead of working on this...

I did get a fair amount done. managed to remove all the transom wood, got the fiberglass transom fairly well cleaned off, and dug all of the foam out of the port side hip pocket. there is really entirely too much foam in this thing! this weekend is supposed to be fairly decent weather wise, so I will pull off the tarp and get some more done. after I get the foam out of the other hip pocket, I will get some pics.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
Hey Steve ... you are makin good progress, when you get that baby all cleaned out, you gonna split it ?
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
Hey Steve ... you are makin good progress, when you get that baby all cleaned out, you gonna split it ?

yes sir, that is the plan. I have been tryin to get through all this so I can split it, transom it, string it, put the new floor in, and get the top half back on. after that, it's all rebuild and cosmetic, which is what I like! so I have been tearin through this part like rippin off a bandaid, I just want it done. I kinda wish this thing was more rotten, it would be easier! but, it's going well.

I am gonna get the foam out of the other hip pocket this weekend, pull the rubrail and screws, and get it set up to split.

I am loving this project! and, I put together a flake mix that I am very happy with, so I am hoping to get it all back together quickly so I can start paint prep. I want to see this color on her, I think it's gonna look good...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »
Got the rubrail off today and some exterior trim pieces, and cleaned up some (big piles of foam and rotted wood). I will make another mess tomorrow getting all the foam out of the other hip pocket.

Went to the machine shop today to personally see the block being pressure tested. All is well there, so now I am going to drop off the crank to have it turned, and then I can start puting the 454 back together. I knew it was a forged crank, but somehow I overlooked the "Scat" stamp on the side. That was a nice surprise!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
Some more progress today... Got the remaining hip pocket foam all cleaned out. Spent the rest of the day cutting and grinding along the port side where the edge of the floor meets the hull, and cleaning up some edges where I had cut things "close" to get material out of the way.

No new pics yet, I had cleaned up some yesterday, but it's a mess again, with grindng dust everywhere, I kinda doubt the pictures would show up very well.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
Weather is looking to be nice this weekend! Hang a rope from one of your trees out back and pull the top half off ;D. I know I will be hard at finishing up what I can on my boat. You still want to stop over sat and take video of it running?
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »
Weather is looking to be nice this weekend! Hang a rope from one of your trees out back and pull the top half off ;D. I know I will be hard at finishing up what I can on my boat. You still want to stop over sat and take video of it running?

yeah, I gotta catch up with Olered and go over a few details so that I can get this thing ready to split. Looking forward to getting some more work done this weekend, and hoping to get this thing apart and back together soon, in a few weeks I will be gettin the camper site at the river ready, and getting out the CVZ, so my weekends are gonna be pretty full soon.

Let me know what your schedule is lookin like towards the end of the week, and we'll figure out what will work for you so I can get the video for ya.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
sounds good i'll be in touch at the end of the week.  Boating weather is just around the corner! ;D First full season that you can enjoy the cvz.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"