Author Topic: Bullet proof affordable trailer paint.  (Read 16144 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Bullet proof affordable trailer paint.
« on: April 17, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »
A couple of months ago I emailed the original owner of my CVX and asked if he had painted the trailer and if so, what did he use.

Today I installed all new wire and lights on the trailer. Old ones worked just looked, well, old.  While under the trailer I noticed a lot of areas that were not painted so I headed to Home Depot for a quart of paint.

It's Rustoleum brush on Hammer Finish (black with a hint of gray) and besides bonding to light surface rust it dries quickly and like concrete. This is a hard finish. Same product the original owner used 6 years ago and it only had a couple of chips here and there.  I'll put the trailer up on stands next Friday when I'm off and paint the areas that were missed.

Trailer doesn't look 25 years old. Original trailer rusted away after 8 years.

Offline Glastron_GT160

Re: Bullet proof affordable trailer paint.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:02:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Looks great.  I wonder if that sticks to a galvanized trailer?  While I appreciate the corrosion resistance of a galvanized trailer, I hate the looks of them. 

I think a gallon of hammer finish is in my future :)

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=159

Offline TomLund

• BOATLESS
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »
maybe i will try that when i finish goldie that would make her transporter device better looking lol

Tom
Painting With Color Inc
   Living Life in Color

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
That looks good and best of all, you can do it yourself.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline TomLund

• BOATLESS
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
As being a painter for a living galvanized is tough to paint because it is not ment to be painted it will look good til a scratch happens then water gets underneath then it starts to peel.  That just my professional opinion.

Tom
Painting With Color Inc
   Living Life in Color

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Yes, it will stick very well to Galvanized metal. The original owner got some on the fenders and a couple of the bunk brackets and it's been on there for several years. I attempted to remove it from the fender and it was hard as heck to get it to chip.  I'd recommend you wash the trailer with soap and a brush to get any loose or dried on dirt of and then paint away.

You can get it in several colors. Black, gray, silver, brown, copper and I believe a wine red color. For a single axle trailer you'd probably only need two quarts. It covers well and doesn't take much to do so.

I took the boat out this evening for a 22 mile cruise. Set the throttle at 35 mph, cranked up the tunes and enjoyed the cool (72 degree) evening. Love the looks and questions I get with the CVX. Had two people at the launch ask me how old it was, how fast, and comment how nice it looks. That's always fun.

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:15:17 PM »
That sure looks good for a brush job.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »
The Shoreview library has galvanized railings along the sidewalk and the paint was off the majority of the metal. The best solution is powercoating, but that means taking everything off the trailer, including boat, so that the powercoated trailer can bake in an oven.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline Jerry

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:35 PM »
Hammer finish refers to the look and texture, not that you can take a hammer to it. It's no stronger than any other rustoleum.  After powder-coating one I'm not sure I will ever paint one again. If I do it would be with an Epoxy like Emron.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
I'd looked in to getting mine powder coated but it was going to run about $600 - $700.  I've had bike frames PC'd and that was $100. 

At $15 per quart, I'll stick to the Rustoleum hammer finish. It hides many imperfections and finished just fine for a brush on paint. After it's been on for about a week it's pretty darn hard. I just installed a new chain, couldn't keep the old rusty on with the new paint, for the tilt portion of the trailer.  It's amazing what $3 worth of new chain can do for the looks after the rusty stuff is gone. New stainless bolts and it's ready for years of service.

I have just a little more to paint from the underside and I'll be done. My next chore will be to use the creeper and buff the bottom of the hull.

Offline n0ukf

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
Looking at Rustoleum's site, they don't have any white in the brush-on, only in the spray. Our local hardware/lumber store handles Valspar instead of Rustoleum, I'll look tomorrow at what they have in this type.
Elliott
'64 Skiflite 142, '64 Evinrude Lark VI 40hp Selectric.
('59-'62) Wizard Bolero Imperial 15, '67 Evinrude Lark IX 40hp Selectric.

Offline Green with Envy

• Allan Pfromm
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
This conversation came up while I was at Express Composites getting gelcoat for Green.  Tomas said that gelcoat can be applied to metal...I wonder what the coverage of a gallon would be?  It would be kind of cool to have a matching color trailer.
1974 Glastron CV-16 SS
1975 Glastron GT150
1984 Searay Sundancer
1979 Glastron HPV-175

Offline n0ukf

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »
As an alternate to Rustoleum Hammered, does anyone have any opinion on Valspar Anti-Rust Armor spray or brush-on?
Elliott
'64 Skiflite 142, '64 Evinrude Lark VI 40hp Selectric.
('59-'62) Wizard Bolero Imperial 15, '67 Evinrude Lark IX 40hp Selectric.

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 10:58:01 PM »
Jerry, that trailer looks awesome!

Marc, I love that "hammered" look... I'm going to have to consider that in the future.  It's turning out great!

I also brush painted both my '62 & '72 trailers (steel) with a professional grade (that's what the label said, not sure if it's much different than the normal stuff) rustoleum. The "almond" color was close to original on both. BTW--try those tiny throwaway rollers... they work great for the larger smooth trailer surfaces when using a smooth paint. I'm happy with the results and it was definitely economical.  I was dealing with just a little surface rust on both.  In the case of my '62, I did powder coat just the wheels, fenders and front stantion, and had new large UV protected decals made by Garzon Studios (contact from MarkS), and they did a good job for me.  I changed the color to red from the original "almond" on the fenders and front piece, using a bit of "artistic license" with it... what do you think?  I also added a security cable bolted from front stantion to bow eye.  They had a "crimp" machine (not sure what it's called) at West Marine and I cut the cable, added the hardware to both ends and crimped it together.   I also placed an additional bolt through bottom of stantion that goes through the trailer tongue, vs just below, to really secure it... was moving around before that.

Oh, also, just FYI... when you have wheels powder coated, they don't fit on the hub at first until you break that bead off the center rim. It popped pretty good when I was tightening them back on. Guess it could start rusting there again easily?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:13:45 PM by catchnedge »
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'87 CVX-16 Outboard, '88 Johnson 120--
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline MarkS

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 04:36:02 AM »
The "Gator" looks great Mark, good job.  Glad the decals turned out to your liking.

Some of the guys over on FG are using the Valspar stuff, say it's great too.  I think they advised it's also available at local Tractor Supply Co. Stores, if you have any of those up there.  Having two trailers to restore in the future, this has been a great thread, thanks guys!   ;)
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »
Mark,

The Gator trailer looks great.  After using the hammer finish Rustoleum I'll stick with it from now on. It goes on well, hides any imperfections, dries quickly and is pretty darn tough. I lay the chains across the tongue and there's not a mark on the paint. If something does chip or scratch I can touch it up in about 5 minutes.

I like the powder coating ideal but having to tear the trailer apart, haul it over to the place and then pay them $700 + to do the job, I'll stick with the paint.

I'm heading under the boat this weekend to finish up the paint job. Just have a few bunk brackets to finish and it will be done.

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »
They all look great!  Wish Mine were done.  I painted the Ship's trailer about 5 years ago with Krylon ... it needs it again!

.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »
Chris ... I wish you'd stop posting pictures of the Ship .. it distracts me, makes me start thinkin, and thats a Bad thing for me to do, so Just Quit it !
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »
If I were on a river like the Mississippi, or boated larger lakes, I think that'd be the boat for me.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
Chris ... I wish you'd stop posting pictures of the Ship .. it distracts me, makes me start thinkin, and thats a Bad thing for me to do, so Just Quit it !
HEHEHEHE!

.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20