Author Topic: Marine vs. Car Stereo speakers  (Read 6828 times)

Offline 75starflight

Marine vs. Car Stereo speakers
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
I am going to put in a radio in Phoenix Rising during the spring. I already purchased the head unit, but I am really wondering if it is worth the money to buy the marine speakers?
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline fireman24mn

Re: Marine vs. Car Stereo speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »
I would they have a plastic cone in them. some regular ones have a paper cone.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »
I put car speakers in mine but they have the polypropylene cone too. I also put them up where they "shouldn't" get wet! But they were free and came out of a donor derby car so if they get ruined I won't be too upset. Same story for the receiver.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
You want to at the very least have poly speakers.
one thing i have observed while looking at Marine audio is higher power head units and ratings for speakers.
consider that a system that would "rock" yer car will only seem like background music on the open water, and due to this speakers need to be heavy duty as the tendency will be to drive them hard, possibly into clipping.
which head unit did you get ?
i have been casually looking, but have not been impressed with what i have read or seen of the mid range stuff.
not sure about putting tunes in the GT-150, but i would like the X19 to "rock" as it seems it will be a party craft  ;D
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline bellj

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
Years ago I put pair after pair (like 3) of "cheap" speakers in my GT-150 - along with a 300 watt amp - one blew out so hard that I couldn't find the problem at first (I knew there had to be from the load "explosion" that occurred at wide open (loud) throttle which everyone across the lake still heard. Turned out the capacitor actually blew so hard that the wire stretched around the base and wound up like it was still attached - except for that long length of extra wire it now had!

Anyway - those came from a place called "Hi Fi Kenny's" (we called it "rip off Kenny's" after a while). Someone told me to get nothing less than JBL's because they would be the last set I needed to buy. They were right - even withstood pressure washing - and always sounded great (still in the boat today - but haven't been tried for quite a few years now).

So guess what brand I went with when I started a mobile DJ show many years ago - never regretted that decision either (and never blew one out - in fact blew a Crown amp, plus a set of cheaper monitor speakers which a retrofitted with JBL's later (made them really heavy, crew complained)...but JBL's never failed me!!). Don't know if they're still made the same way or if there are better competitors, but you sure get what you pay for in that industry.   ;)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
I like the KICKERS brand, they are made here in Stillwater Oklahoma USA.  We put four 6.5s, two 3x9s and an 8 inch subwoofer, all marine, behind a 1000 watt amp in Burnin Daylight.  I haven't heard them rattle yet and because they are hidden all around the interior I'm not worried about moisture or sunlight.  I replaced the head unit in the CV23 and when I get past the cost for the engine upgrades I plan to add some Kickers to her.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:04:00 PM by Burnin Daylight »
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »
It all depends on the money you want to spend.
And while moisture use to be an issue, most mid-level and up speakers will be made of a moisture resistant material.

The bigger issue is sun exposure and heat.  There are speakers that use rubber surrounds, and others use a treated foam, and still others.  If your speakers will be placed where they receive direct sunlight while you're out - you want to spend enough to make sure that you get a good rubber or silicone surround.  Some marine products will have a UV coating on the surround or use a UV resistant material so that they don't degrade in the sunlight.  The direct sunlight is a much more harsh environment than a wet one (from the front side of the speaker anyway, keep the moisture away from the back and solder your wire directly to the terminals).

For the price, you can get marine audio "packages" (head/source unit & speakers) from places like Crutchfield that aren't bad at all.  If you're really looking for a deal, look at SonicElectronix.com ... I've purchased from them several times and have been happy.  For many years I was involved in psycho high-end competition car audio ... the show stuff you'd see at CES in Vegas ... Feel free to message me with questions.  A boat is a very difficult environment to expect any real sound quality, it's mainly for ambient music.  Alpine has always made very reliable products - and they specialize in mobile audio period.  You see Sony alarm clocks, tv's, stereos, yada yada ... Alpine puts all R&D money on mobile audio/video, they don't do any home electronics at all.  At a consumer level, I would highly recommend Alpine.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
So, no one's going to recommend AC Delco?  WTHeck!

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
WOW... Hi fi kenny, OMG, have not heard that in forever, lol
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
We put four 6.5s, two 3x9s and an 8 inch subwoofer, all marine, behind a 1000 watt amp in Burnin Daylight.

I'm still wondering how much that system weighs :)
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline TomLund

• BOATLESS
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
JBL audio makes pretty good stuff that what i have in my goldwing and the reciever on my bike has a built in amp for i speed sound. Still sound great also you can spray water repellant over the speaker just make sure you cover the wires going to the tweeter. Most waterproof speakers i have seen have some kind of wax over the 2 wires going to the tweeter

Tom
Painting With Color Inc
   Living Life in Color

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
OK so here is what I bough for a head unit

http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-heavy-duty-mini-waterproof-am-fm-wb-radio.html

I mainly bought this for a little music when I am beached and to have NOAA weather radio while out on the water.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »
Red, considering the weight distribution, it shouldn't weigh all that much.
I use a 10 inch subwoofer that is 30 lbs for the driver, plus the enclosure - about half a sheet of 3/4" mdf, so roughly 48 lbs.  When you add amplifier and quality wiring, you might have added 100-120 lbs with that whole system.

I've weight some cars and trucks on freight scales for before and afters, we'd average close to 800 lbs on a moderately high end car install, including the dynamat liner.  The truck I use to drive had about 400 lbs total additional weight with only dynamat in the doors.  I used 3 eight inch subwoofers.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »
" 100-120 lbs "
WOW ... wait till Doug hears this ...

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »
 :D  I was "Razzin" Barb when she was installing her sound system, her knowing I pay particular attention to the weight and balance of a boat, but all that went out the window when she came in with that amp, size and weight, then another marine battery to run it, then speakers with magnets big as a roll of duct tape, a sub woofer and a couple rolls of 10 gauge wire, Oh ... and another set of battery cables routed to the front of the boat and an isolator switch,  she said not to worry, we had a bigger motor.  When we were out at the lake for the first test run, she turned the sounds up pretty good, you could see little ripples in the water from the hull of the boat .. pretty kool  then she turned on the little indirect led lights she installed, really nice,  she done good !

http://youtu.be/nyRNLscXG20

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 08:04:45 AM »
What Red didn't say was, the reason we were out after dark was that we were waiting for Edmond Fire and Rescue to come pull us in because we had ground up the drive.  The lights worked pretty well for them to spot us, and they tracked my cell phone.  I took one of the LED's from under the gunnel out and was waving it back and forth once we saw their flashing lights.  I guess they could have heard us also since there was not another soul on the water.
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 11:31:17 AM »
I've never used a second battery in a personal vehicle.  At "worst," I had a 220 Amp alternator that was manufactured for Ford Ambulances. 

Those lights look good, Barb.  I'm all for making a comfy cabin - what good is all that speed if you've stripped down and can't sit comfortably. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
"what good is all that speed if you've stripped down and can't sit comfortably."
I agree, its all about making what you have the way you want it.
Nice setup Barb, that's what was thinking when i said "Rock", also like the dual battery idea (keep the motor battery for the motor) 
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »
We had a high output alternator built at the local shop when we put in the dual batteries.  One is for the engine and the other only runs the entertainment systems and lights.  When tied up or beached I can play music and not worry about starting the engine at the end of the day.  I already have the alternator built by the same shop for Hot Knots when we put her back together, and we will put a second baterry and isolator switch in her.  She will get an invertor also.  Creature comforts.
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »
I got 4  6 1/2in speakers in mine put them up under the gunnel 2 by the front seats and 2 by the back seats. I stole the idea from Barbs pics. They are not that noticeable and still sound good I am thinking of adding a sub and amp still. I mounted the Receiver in the back under one of the sun pads and have a wired water proof remote that controls all the functions of the radio next to the steering wheel. Receiver has USB port so I can plug in my phone or other iPod type device for charging or music.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft