Author Topic: Alaska intimidator update  (Read 17664 times)

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
Re: Alaska intimidator update
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
If you are going yo be doing a lot if messing around with your motor on the water I suggest getting some hood hinges that come apart. I have them on both of my boats. Just tilt the hood vertical and slide it over and out of the way. There is nothing worse than having to balance on the tail end of a Carlson to figure out what you just broke. I'll find a link in a .
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
I have those exact hinges on my CVZ's bow cover...I think I paid $25 for the both pairs on ebay.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline eta1091

• Chillin The Most - Alaska Intimidator
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »
Thanks for the Hinge idea, I am liking that idea! currently my intimidator hinges from the front and seems backwards to me, since if I have to tool on something I will most likely be sitting on the rear seat of the boat. now I can hinge from the rear. Now to install these I should probably put them right inside the risers on the hood, The risers I am talking about are the ones that lead to the exhaust trumpets. should I devise a locking mechanism for the front of the hood, so as to not fly off while driving. I doubt I could ever find another hood. anybody else reverse the hinging point on there hood?
1984 Intimidator Big Lake Alaska

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
I would just put them back on the front side where they were. I have the same kind of hinges at Tim posted. It works great. I just open the hood and slide it to the left and off it comes. I do what I need and then slide it back on and close it. Have had it off a few times out on the water.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:59 PM »
anybody else reverse the hinging point on there hood?

I know that its been done, but honestly, Tim & Shawn's method using the slide pin hinges is a win win...front pressure when towing down the road & boating...easy easy access when you need it.  I feel a mod coming along.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline eta1091

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
hinges for the hood are on the way. Gotta love the internet, and the quick responses for help. Does anyone have a picture of how there Intimidator hinge is mounted (sliding type). on my hood it is butted up to the seat. with a piano hinge that is hidden.

Offline eta1091

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »
I am going to work in the villages for a week or so and I wanted to post some pictures of where I am at with my project. good chance I will not have internet access so I will check back in when I return. This winter I completely gutted the engine bay area and rebuilt the structures for the floor and engine mounting pads,all new fiberglass structures, built a new 350 engine using all forged components, 1978 350 block bored 30 over, balanced,extreme marine cam,  etc etc, right now I am making my own wiring harness for the whole boat, made new seat and side panels and had them recovered, new fuel tank, electric pump and rubber and steel fuel line, water separator and filter,  reinforcements for the bow, new smoked Plexiglas gauge shield, new bilge pumps manual and automatic, new blower motor and all new correct stainless steel bolts, screws, lag bolts etc. still looking for ski tow bar hook, need new gauges and good quality hose for blower. I came across a picture of me in my boat when my dad had it in 1983.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:33:31 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline eta1091

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 12:41:43 AM »
one thing I noticed on the picture of the intimidator is how low to the water the rubrail on the stern of the boat is. I have seen other cvx pictures and it seems that they sit higher out of the water.

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 07:45:19 AM »
here's a picture of Barb's boat in the water
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 08:35:16 AM »
I couldn't find any pictures of my Intimidator but here is my 18. Not the best picture but you get the idea. Oh, a word of advice, make sure you get  two of the same hinges our it won't go together or come apart. Jeff saw it happen to me.
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline eta1091

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
That is the most beautiful Intimidator I have ever seen. I think she has a sister in Alaska....lol

Offline eta1091

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »
Still fishin that's a good picture, I can duplicate that idea. You have a snazzy boat by the way, I like it.

Offline eta1091

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
Thanks Olered, by the way can you tell me how high the bottom of your seat is from the floor? I have new mounts and my seats seem to be sitting higher then it was and I do not have any reference to original height.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline GCarlover

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
1091 Does your floor have water underneath?  Looks very low.  Don't know if you can check for plugs in the back?

Offline rocky boat

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
hello from Rocky Boat.  I am on rocky Lake not far from you.  Working on my gt-150.  We are trying to reseal the shoebox seam to fix a leak and am having the seats redone.  Have not figured out how to upload pics from picasa.  but wanted to say hello as my lake place is right down the way.  Will try and get the pics.  have been working on the finish.  Can't seem to get it as perfect as all these folks, but the copper flake is beginning to sparkle on my 1979! 

Offline eta1091

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »
Interestingly enough that picture was from when it was new in 1982-1983. it could have already have water in it. when I went in and replaced the floor this winter there was rot in the sides where the foam was for flotation. there was a solid 6" ice/water on the bottom. it has gone thru a iron reduction diet, and a lot of foam and wood has been replaced with new, so I am hoping for good floatation and durability.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »
Old post from "River Daves Place" ...

The Carlson Intimidator was a fun project. I worked at the Carlson plant on Grove Street in Anaheim from 1979-1981 and was part of the development team. We quickly learned that the Jet and Outboard bottom on the CVX 20 wasn't quite right for a stern drive application (5.7 MerCruiser/260HP w/Alpha Drive). Our prototype boat probably went to the water (Golden Avenue in Long Beach back then) nearly a dozen times. We brought along several buckets of "mud" (quick set bondo) and lots of sanding blocks. We'd run the boat, bring it back to the trailer, add or subtract some material on or off the bottom to see if we could pick-up a mile or two and make it handle better. After about a month of testing we had a really good running hull (69-70 mph on radar with 2 people in the boat). Glastron corporate in Austin was a little nervous about selling a 70mph stock boat to the general public so we had to make a couple more bottom revisions to slow it down a tad (top speed of the production version was 65 mph). The CVX 20 was an amazing boat -- at that same time we came out with the "Ski Machine" (CVX 20/outboard) that was a super tournament style boat, especially for serious slalom skiing. And of course, there were a few (2 or 3) custom/handmade CVX 20s that had a "pad" bottom and raced at the Lake Havasu Outboard Classic and the Parker Enduro -- but that's another story.

The minor bottom changes to the Intimidator included adding a little hook to the bottom (the last 3 to 4 feet -- about 1/4") and just slightly reducing the depth of the two lifting strakes closest to the keel so the boat didn't ride quite as high out of the water at top speed. Basically, just wanted to increase wetted hull surface and create more drag. If you really wanted to pick-up speed on a CVX 20, modifying the vee-keel into a true running pad was the trick. Alan Miller, an employee at the Carlson plant in Anaheim did the first one. After that we built several (super lightweight) center steer, pad bottom (no mold) CVX 20s for Mod VP racing. Evinrude supported the effort with some well built/modified 235 HP V-6 engines. Well known Unlimited hydroplane racers Bill Muncey and Chip Hanauer were part of our driving team. When everything was right, these special "race" CVX 20s with a 235 Evinrude were good for about 90-91 mph.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 09:57:03 PM »
Bill Muncey's CVX-20 with a 235 HP Evinrude V-6 engine was for sale on the CGOA site a few years ago. It was being prepared for him, even had his name on it, when Bill was killed in a boating accident. Wanted $6,000 for it. The family used it very little. Do not know how the sale of the boat ended. Wonder if the engine was stock or modified.

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3951
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:07:49 PM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop