Author Topic: Dead Raccoon. Were to buy carpet and which glue is best  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Otto cv23

Dead Raccoon. Were to buy carpet and which glue is best
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
The boat started to smell real bad. So I took off the shifter panel and found a nice big rotting raccoon and about a million maggots. Not sure how he got in there but there he is. So as you can imagine the carpet there and down the side and the floor buy the seat is ruined. So I need new red carpet for my cv23. So any suggestions on where to buy marine carpet and which glue works best. This will be my first time carpeting a boat so any tricks or things I need to know. I'm guessing just pull it up then scrape or grind off anything thats not flat then treat or clean up or replace anything that still stinks and reinstall the new carpet. Sounds easy I'm sure it's not. Is there something you can brush on to seal in a smell you can't get out?
Thanks

Offline 75starflight

Re: Dead Raccoon. Were to buy carpet and which glue is best
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:45:19 PM »
Sorry about the Raccoon dead in the boat.

On the carpet, just search around the internet and your local home stores. I have had really good luck using double sided indoor/outdoor carpet tape when I put new carpet in Phoenix Rising.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:53:49 AM »
Otto, sorry to hear about the rotten coon thing.  If when you get the coon, maggots, and carpet out and if the smell is still in the wood try soaking/mopping the wood with pinesol  or Lysol.  It worked well for me one time when I had a similar stinky situation.  Good luck with that.
Barb
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
Nice. How did you get it out? Pitch fork?  :D

I'd try some ammonia or bleach (not mixed) if the lysol or Pinesol don't cut it.
I hate magots! Or dead rotting things in general.

Not sure where you are...did it get in over the winter?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
If there's a way to position the boat - get that area in bright, direct sunlight for as long as possible.  UV will help get rid of those odors, too.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
I've used Pinesol on seat cushions ... Turned seats over and poured mixture into holes in cushion bottoms.
They were moldy and smelled bad.  It work pretty good.

Offline Otto cv23

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 08:19:29 PM »
he must have gotten in between October and January. That's when I took it to the canvas shop and discovered the poop. I didn't know it was in the side panel because there's a piece of plywood blocking it off. He was right next to the shift lever. I thought everything was fine till it warmed up and the smell became unbearable and the next day there was a million maggots. The only good thing is theres a big hole right in front of him that leads down into the inner hull if he had died in there I never would have found him.