Author Topic: Has anyone had their trailer powdercoated?  (Read 6322 times)

Offline CVZ18Fan

Has anyone had their trailer powdercoated?
« on: April 23, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has had their trailer powdercoated?

Rich

Offline Jerry

Re: Has anyone had their trailer powdercoated?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »
Yes. It's the only way to go! You do have to completely disassemble it so it's more work, but worth the effort.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
Looks great. How was the cost vs. traditional spraying?

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
If you took it to MACO and had it painted, it might be a little more. If ya just want to rattle can it without blasting or anything, it's a lot more. I took it to MARCO Sandblasting on Hennepin/Central and they carried it across the street to power coatings. I think the whole thing cost around $400. Power Coating is out of business so that won't work anymore. shop around.

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
My new trailer I bought for my CVX18 was powder coated from the factory. Honestly I don't think it is holding up any better as far as chips than a painted trailer.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »
We have had powder coated trailers from several companys and had no better performance than with paint.......the best we have seen (sold ) comes with our new Yarcraft Boats. They are sprayed with Toughcoat (Bedliner) in black and hold up very well. If you would like to see how they look stop by the store (Hannays Marine Inc)......coffee is always on.

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:47 PM »
That is a thought also. My wife's uncle works for a shop that spray Linex in any color you want. May have to look in to that also. Good info, thanks.

Rich

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
If you took it to MACO and had it painted, it might be a little more. If ya just want to rattle can it without blasting or anything, it's a lot more. I took it to MARCO Sandblasting on Hennepin/Central and they carried it across the street to power coatings. I think the whole thing cost around $400. Power Coating is out of business so that won't work anymore. shop around.

No kidding? I checked one place and they quoted me 650.00 to sandblast and prime.
Is there a type of "primer" under powder coating or is it applied directly over bare metal?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
Just about any trailer now days is powder coated. Thing is, trailers flex and bend and paint cracks letting in moisture. Then it rusts. My new car trailer is powder coated as well, we'll see how well it holds up.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Jerry

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
Ross you don't want it primed for powder coating. I would look for a different blaster sounds high. There use to be a guy in Stacey which would be close to you, that would blast a trailer tor $50 - $75. Powder coating is no stronger than paint, in fact I think a good 2 part Epoxy would be the strongest, but it does get in every little spot that paint may miss or be very thin and show rust in a few years, and when it does chip (and it does chip) you have to touch it up with paint. If you decide to paint use a good metal-etching primer, and a primer sealer over that, then a good Epoxy paint.
BTW The guy is coming to get the Larson between the 10th and 15th is the snow melted around it yet?

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
Many of you have seen the trailer under Red's Gold, it was the "almond" color out of a Rustolem epoxy appliance paint can.  I stripped all the bunks, tires and wheels, covered up the axle and springs, winch and lights, took a nozzel off a Berrymans B-12 spray can, carborator cleaner,  put it on the Rustolem can, and shot the trailer from about 2 1/2 ft away, used two cans and the trailer was painted in less than three minutes, no kidding, the Berrymans can nozzel dumps out the Rustoleum can in less than a minute, and you got to move fas or it will run,  still looked good when I sold it after three years.
Ok ... so I don't have many patience, the paint was dry in 30 minutes and I put it back together.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
If i was going to have a trailer sand blasted i would definatally do the Rhino liner type stuff that holds up really good to pretty much everything. Even a grinder. They also have do it yourself kits for it as well that would make it a little cheaper. Other wise the Hammered finish that Doran used, and I copied and used as well and it seems to be holding up well. Had a tire blow and it took very little of it off while the tire was slapping the trailer
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Re: Has anyone had their trailer powdercoated?
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »
And I copied it from our member in LA,  I think...time will tell,  but I'm happy so far as well.

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
Cool thing is they can now tint it in any color you want. Shawn, what ya think about orange?

Rich

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »

BTW The guy is coming to get the Larson between the 10th and 15th is the snow melted around it yet?
[/quote]

The snow has been gone, then came back, then gone, back and gone. As of today, the Larson is totally accessible. That could change by then the way its gone this year.

Thanks for the tip on blasting and painting. I'll check the small local papers for someone that sandblasts close by. I thought it was high too.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
Many of you have seen the trailer under Red's Gold, it was the "almond" color out of a Rustolem epoxy appliance paint can.  I stripped all the bunks, tires and wheels, covered up the axle and springs, winch and lights, took a nozzel off a Berrymans B-12 spray can, carborator cleaner,  put it on the Rustolem can, and shot the trailer from about 2 1/2 ft away, used two cans and the trailer was painted in less than three minutes, no kidding, the Berrymans can nozzel dumps out the Rustoleum can in less than a minute, and you got to move fas or it will run,  still looked good when I sold it after three years.
Ok ... so I don't have many patience, the paint was dry in 30 minutes and I put it back together.

Red, I love your technique. Like you I have very little patience and will be on the lookout for a couple Berrymans B-12 cans.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »
Amazing what you find when you look around the shelves in the garage. Forgot I have 3/4 of a gallon of PPG Urethane metallic black on the shelf. Guess I will use that seeing that I have it. Maybe I can put some more flake in it to sparkle a bit more.

Rich

Offline Randyj

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »
The cost for blasting is based on what material its covered with originally.  If its paint and half rusted/chipped off it will be way less than if it has a factory bake on or dipped coating.  I've brought trailer rims in to places to blast and they laugh at me saying it would be cheaper to buy a new rim with tires on it already than the bill for blasting.  Some of that stuff WILL NOT come off, so your better off scuffing it and spraying a good primer and paint.  Powdercoat needs to be applied to bare metal so its not worth it IMO.  I have a powdercoating setup and will not do my trailer (way too much work) the fenders maybe, but I'd buy them new and bare.