Author Topic: My hello and a question for you folks  (Read 6217 times)

Offline Tard413

My hello and a question for you folks
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:33:14 AM »
First of all, hello, new guy here.  I fell in love with a 76 Glastron CVX-20 and had to have it...well now i am here. Maybe we will see each other out on the waters this season.

My question is in regards to the starter on the bell housing of the 460 Ford, does anyone know what the replacement for that is? I went to the auto parts store today and they couldnt find the correct one, i figured it had to have been a ford starter but i am obviously wrong. Anyone mind helping me out with this one?

Thanks,
Nick

Offline MarkS

Re: My hello and a question for you folks
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 06:14:36 AM »
Those starters ARE still available out there, you just have to look in the right places.  If you're up in the MN area, you might give the gang at Arrowhead Electrical Products a call, I'm pretty sure they still carry them;
http://www.arrowheadep.com/
Another source would be Arco Marine, out of FLA;
http://www.arcomarine.com/
There were a couple different versions of that starter, if you can read the numbers off you old one I can cross it over and give you more exact info?
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Tard413

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:43:36 AM »
Hey, thanks Mark.

The numbers on the starter are DPS-1433, i am sure i am looking at a starter solenoid also...is that also a special part not available at the auto parts store? I appreciate the help, i was going to go out yesterday but ended up just sitting in the driveway!

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nick !

Keep an eye on the " Minnesota Western Wisconsin Events / Meets " section for local get together.
Any pictures of your CVX ?
Would love to see it ...

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »
Hey, thanks Mark.

The numbers on the starter are DPS-1433, i am sure i am looking at a starter solenoid also...is that also a special part not available at the auto parts store? I appreciate the help, i was going to go out yesterday but ended up just sitting in the driveway!

Welcome!!!

Just keep in mind that you need to get marine approved parts...closed/confined area, potential for exhaust/gas fumes = explosion risk...a little prevention can make for a happy boating day...or not.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Tard413

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »

I know it has been on here before. I pretty much fell in love with it when i saw it so i had to have it. It will have a makeover this winter, this year will be making sure everything is mechanically sound and just having fun with it. I am sure if i traveled to find a boat i would have found a much better deal but this was in my backyard and everything was there for a restore.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
Looks pretty good to me ... as is !

Offline Tard413

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »
Thanks, it's pretty good from about 10 feet :p It has some clouding in the paint and what not but overall the boat is solid.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 01:58:22 PM »
Most of us have "10 footers" ...
Out on the river we'll just stay 10 feet or more away from each other and all is GOOD !

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »
Beautiful! Looks like a calendar queen to me!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »
RE: starter ... it may be worth you while to have it rebuilt instead of replacing it.  Marine starters are sealed to prevent the big boom form ruining your weekend.  On the CVX-20, with it's completely enclosed engine compartment, you should stick with a marine starter.
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Tard413

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
Thanks for the compliments,  I really like the boat a lot and can't wait until it's revived.

As far as rebuilding the starter, it was recently rebuilt before I purchased the boat...well rewound anyhow but the gear blew up into tiny pieces. I will buzz over to Arrowhead in Blaine tomorrow and see what their offerings are. If worse comes to worse I will explore the rebuilding option again.

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
  • 1977 SSV 176 1989 CV 23
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »
These guys do good, I've used them several times.

http://www.bandmelectricservice.com/
1977 SSV-176 / '85 115 Merc. - Mine
1989  CV 23 / 350 - 270hp - Kelly's
1968 V-174 / '73 140 I/O - Gifted to Son
1971 Seaking 14' / 1958 Evenrude 7.5 - Gifted to Grandson

Offline MarkS

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:07:57 AM »
The numbers on the starter are DPS-1433, i am sure i am looking at a starter solenoid also...is that also a special part not available at the auto parts store?
  That's an aftermarket starter, but I'll see if I can cross it over when I get to work later this morning.  As the gang stated - yes you want to use "marine certified" parts on all electrical items, better safe than sorry!  One of the local rebuild shops may be able to rejuvenate what you've got now, might save some money that way.  (Sounds like you'll definitely need a starter drive, won't know what else until the unit is torn down.)
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
Welcome! - Love the black over blue on your boat.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Tard413

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »
The numbers on the starter are DPS-1433, i am sure i am looking at a starter solenoid also...is that also a special part not available at the auto parts store?
  That's an aftermarket starter, but I'll see if I can cross it over when I get to work later this morning.  As the gang stated - yes you want to use "marine certified" parts on all electrical items, better safe than sorry!  One of the local rebuild shops may be able to rejuvenate what you've got now, might save some money that way.  (Sounds like you'll definitely need a starter drive, won't know what else until the unit is torn down.)

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it. I did call Arrowhead as they are about 5 minutes away and it sounded like they had a solution but their products are not available for purchase to private parties, not a big deal, I can run it through my company but that's a bunch of paperwork headache and then explaining why a security company needs a boat starter and solenoid.  It would be great if I could find another solution before I venture down that road.

Nick

*edit* http://www.urqualitysolutions.com/Reman-Starter-MDU7035-50135-ST80LH-46-3575-Prestolite-5195R-5195R.htm This looks like the starter, is a remanufactured going to be of the same quality as say an Arco?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:33:33 PM by Tard413 »

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »
I replaced an old Mercury starter on my outboard with an Arrowhead product.  Turns out the distributor that sold it to me made a mistake - there were two gear sizes for the same starter and they sent the wrong one.  I called Arrowhead, they were quick to note the mistake and sent me a new one immediately, with pre-paid return for the one I had received from the dealer. 

On mine, what I discovered was that the helix channeling that allows the starter gear to move out to the flywheel was slightly "burred" from machining and the gear would stick in the "engaged" position.  In other words, when the starter motor quit spinning, the gear should drop back to it's neutral position and mine would not - it took a few trips out, but I was stingy with the oil and a synthetic brush and now it works just fine.  Would have been a great purchase for me a few years ago, instead of last year. 
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline MarkS

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »
As it turned out Arco Marine had the best deal on a new starter and solenoid/relay for Nick, had it shipped directly to him and he's back on the water again!  (The whole shebang cost less than the reman unit from the internet listing posted.)  The company I work for has agreed to give CGOAMN members Jobber price discount, which is substantial savings from retail.  If y'all need anything let me know.    ;)
Mark
1978 SSV-176