Author Topic: someone complained " Boat engine is too loud!" Police came out to visit...  (Read 21057 times)

Offline buckz6319

Well, a neighbor somewhere around me complained about my donor boat engine being "too loud" don't know who, but this is the first time I have had this happen.

I did have the outdrive off, and when I went to start her up the engine was full forward WOT...and I forgot about that.

I feel bad :( that I bothered someone to the point that they had to call the police. I wish they would have let me know first. The police officer was nice:). i guess it is, what it is...

but I think this is the straw that breaks the camels back for me. I just think I need to do away with my boat projects.I think it is time to move on to something else

I have some parts to get to Brandon, and remove anything else that I can sell from the donor boat. Then I am done!

I will try and sell the chaparral as is, and try to get the donor engine checked out, and running good, then sell it separate...it's all going...

sorry, just frustrated:(
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline 84carlson

Don't even think about doing that...Get the new motor in the boat take your wife and daughters to the lake.  Your way to close to throw in the towel!!!

Take some of your own advice:

Love your wife, Love your family, Love your friends, Love your coworkers, Love your Boss, Love your enemies, Love your animals, Love your talents, Love your weaknesses, We are only here for a minute.. Just love life...I do...

When you get it done offer to take the neighbors for a ride....

Joe

Offline 75starflight

I agree, step back take a few deep breaths. Its only one time, nothing to panic over. I had a neighbor get ticked at me the first year I had Phoenix. They will get used to it. Heck my neighbors look forward to hearing the engine running. When I fired up my 140 for the first time they all came running to see it operating and congratulate me on my success.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
I'd not give up something I enjoy because some goody two shoes neighbor had to bring some of my business to the attention of the police,  I'd continue progress until they made their selves known by filing a ligitimate complaint, that would bring you face to face, dought they would want that, just my opinion.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Sleep on it. You'll change your mind. You don't seem like the quitter type. Once you finally get on the water you will the addicted.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline MarkS

and when I went to start her up the engine was full forward WOT...and I forgot about that.
You probably scared them Dwayne, startled you too I'll bet!  I'm with the rest of the gang here - don't give up now you're TOO CLOSE to being at the end of this saga and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I try to keep things down between 9PM and 8AM, out of consideration for the neighbors.  Other than that all bets are off.  I wish I lived next door to Ole Red, he's have to run me off every time he fired one up!   ;D
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline buckz6319

Thanks to all for the encouraging words.
I have owned this home for 8 years, and have worked on many engine related projects, and even run my chainsaw all day sometimes, but never had the police called on me, until last night.

Yes, Marks, it did scare me too, But what bothers mee is probably within 2 minutes of the start up, the police was standing at my gate. I think that someone was watching me get into the boat, knowing I was going to start it up, then called the police.

I am not sure if that is how it went down, just my thoughts.

I know if I decide to keep moving forward, I will have to run the 140 on the ground, so i can figure out what is causing the rough running, and amongst other bugs to work out, before I even think about putting that 140 in the Chap.

My wife is upset as I am, but she wants me to continue also, but not sure about that. The police could be called again on me, then what?
This was only at 6:30pm last evening.

Well, I gues I have to make a decision...even if i decided to move forward, I'm not sure if the noise can be dampered from the exhaust, and not sure if my alpha one gen 2 drive is any good ect...

Thanks again folks, you all are great people

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
I wouldn't worry about police being called. Are you even breaking any laws? Just keep at it.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
" Are you even breaking any laws ? "

If Police come again you should ask them ...
Your getting so close now ... Keep at it !

Offline kert0307

First time I started up my boat I had an older neighbor show up to see what the noise was. He was reminded of his glory days of stock car racing lol.

The only time I've had any of mine complain was when I was working out in the garage with an angle grinder at 10:30 pm on a Thursday night... said he could hear me through his open window trying to sleep. I do try and keep it down after 10 pm most of the time, or at least close my garage doors if I'm doing something loud. But most of my neighbors are pretty "handy" themselves, so we are all loud from time to time.

Offline Fuzzbutt

• '77 Silver/White CVX16 Deluxe
    • Mykeeshond.com
I say hold that signal finger high in the air and do what ever you want to do on your own property as long as it's a "decent" hour of the day. My guide lines are if I don't want to hear it happen to me in the future then I won't do it at that time. I even pick windy days for motor tests & tunes so as not to fog up the yards with 2-stroke. Yes be a courteous neighbor but as long as it's not the middle of the night let it fly. Besides mistakes happen. It wasn't a purposeful thing to start it at WOT.

Now my neighbor 3 houses to my east has an open exhaust SBC powered mini truck that he has been building for years. Last year it was complete enough to do burnouts in his driveway with. That got old real fast no matter the time of the day. 

As far as the police coming to visit you. Well that happens. With the "nanny" state of affairs there in most police departments they are required to check out all reports instead of the dispatchers telling the callers that it's not a police matter and don't call back about it. We have ordinances here about lots of stuff and the amount of acceptable noise and when it is allowed. And these matters are to be reported on the township's website to the code enforcement team not 911.

And for the record my next door neighbor texted me a on a Friday night few weeks back when I was mowing my lawn at 9:15PM reminding me he gets up at 4AM for work. I said sorry and that it was now or late Sunday evening pick one. He was fine with it and I did it as fast as I could. He woke us up Sunday with 2 hours of rototilling at 10AM. It happens. No biggy.
"You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day."

Offline buckz6319

Thanks fo the concerns, and stories..I like them

Now I don't know if I have broken any law. I will have to check into the city of Griffin noise ordinance, and read it, then I will know.

Idk...maybe it was another sign?
Someone said " I'm way over my head with these boat projects" maybe they are right? And maybe that is another sigh to get out!

As you all have mentioned to keep moving forward, and maybe that is what I will do. I do need to think about it, and remove my ad from CL.
I can honestly say this is the best forum I have had the privilege to belong too.
Thanks for your honesty, and I know now why I like it here, good place to be...

Offline Maclin

What did the officer say to you?
Dan
1980 Glaston SSV167 90HP Mariner
1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy VP 570/DP

Offline buckz6319

" someone complained about a loud boat engine noise," the officer took my name, DOB, and phone number

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Quote from: Maclin on Today at 11:51:00 AM
" someone complained about a loud boat engine noise,

Sounds like a fairly close neighbor that knew it was a boat.   I consider myself quite lucky to not have any neighbors within close range of any of my motor activities, but that does not apply to everyone.   I would look at methods to keep down the noise, but would not walk on eggshells either.   Could be just a singular occurance,  maybe a new baby in the area, new shift worker, or something similiar.   Take a day or two off, but do not give up.   We have all had times when we wanted to throw in the towel, but believe me, a day spent boating with the family, it rarely gets better than that.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline buckz6319

Quote from: Maclin on Today at 11:51:00 AM
" someone complained about a loud boat engine noise,

Sounds like a fairly close neighbor that knew it was a boat.   I consider myself quite lucky to not have any neighbors within close range of any of my motor activities, but that does not apply to everyone.   I would look at methods to keep down the noise, but would not walk on eggshells either.   Could be just a singular occurance,  maybe a new baby in the area, new shift worker, or something similiar.   Take a day or two off, but do not give up.   We have all had times when we wanted to throw in the towel, but believe me, a day spent boating with the family, it rarely gets better than that.
I agree with ya:)
And I got a copy of the county ordinance for Spalding County, and will read it soon

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
for many years after i moved to my home in N St Paul (been there for 24 years) it seemed some of my neighbors had the police on speed-dial...
if they get a call they have to respond, after a while they get tired of the same people calling for no good reason.
I'm not saying I've never been at fault just that most of the time it was not warranted, as it sounds like in you're case.

as far as yer statement
"Someone said " I'm way over my head with these boat projects" maybe they are right? And maybe that is another sigh to get out!"

someone once said to me "if yer not livin on the edge yer takin up too much space" i equate that with being in "over yer head"
heck i think im in over my head most of the time, its obvious yer a good "fixer" you can do this for sure.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline buckz6319

thank y'all again for the encouragement.

I still am a little shook up over the whole deal, and sure with time I will get over it.

I will read that ordinance tonight, and quote what I have read....and then maybe my " Signal Finger" will have to come out of hiding lol

thanks!

Offline Maclin

Police officers, good ones anyway, always take down that exact information anytime they talk to, well, anyone during a call.  It is for everyone's protection.  Also sounds like there was no violation, especially at that time of day, sheesh.
Dan
1980 Glaston SSV167 90HP Mariner
1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy VP 570/DP

Offline buckz6319

Police officers, good ones anyway, always take down that exact information anytime they talk to, well, anyone during a call.  It is for everyone's protection.  Also sounds like there was no violation, especially at that time of day, sheesh.
Believe me, I'm familiar with how the police do what they do, and don't get paid enough for it IMO, and no violation for me :)