Author Topic: someone complained " Boat engine is too loud!" Police came out to visit...  (Read 20751 times)

Offline bellj

Many of us really have been in similar shoes - and it's easier giving this advice than it is to personally follow it - but really, don't let it bother you.

We still have an old motorhome that we've been meaning to get rid of, but I want to remove certain items and just haven't gotten everything done that I need to to put it up for sale yet. Luckily we live in a fairly liberal neighborhood that has tolerated having two in the driveway - but as you might guess, last fall an officer visited us with a complaint.

Ironically, even though it really takes your psyche for a loop of everything from embarrassment to anger, it really turned out to have positive aftermath portions. I talked to many of my neighbors who understand and don't seem to have a problem with it - even the responding officer seemed to feel embarrassed to even have to make the visit - especially when I asked him if our place seemed junky to him even though we admit that we would like to get rid of it sooner as well as a few other things, but he said he would trade his place for ours anytime (that really made me feel better during what I would describe as being a bit blind sided & "shell shocked"). But while talking to our neighbors, we not only discovered the person who most likely made the complaint (one immediate next door neighbor), but also discovered how people who moved into the neighborhood had a totally different (and bad) opinion of us before they got to know us based on what these people had told them about us. And these are people who asked us to watch their dog when away and always acted like they liked being our neighbors.

So really, don't let it throw you. We still need to get rid of that camper, and they are still tolerating us - but we've had the opportunity to meet many more of our neighbors - and I'm not going to say we are surrounded by all neighbors that we'd be close friends with, but I think it's mostly been a positive experience.   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline buckz6319

I did my reading of the NOISE ABATEMENT AND CONTROL

" Vehicle Repair in residential areas.The repairing, or testing of any motor vehicle or Its engine between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. within any residential area in such a manner as to disturb the peace, quiet, and comfort of the residences of the area"

Now I work for the government, all day interpreting code, and can clearly read that I was in no violation, according to this paragraph.

I guess It was my new arrogant neighbor, that called the police on me, not positive, but he was sitting on the deck, on his cell phone, so maybe he couldn't hear who he was talking too. idk.

I am going to talk to him. I will say " I apologize for the police showing up at my fence gate at 6:30 p.m., with a complaint that my boat engine was too loud. I will explain to him that in the 8 years I have owned this home, I never had a complaint about anything that i worked on or otherwise. I also will let him know that it was an accident that I could have prevented, had I payed more attention to what I was doing" and see his reaction

my wife thinks maybe he ( if indeed called the police) he may do it again as soon as I try to start her up again, without it being in WOT....
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline Fuzzbutt

• '77 Silver/White CVX16 Deluxe
    • Mykeeshond.com
If it really is him then ask him when a good time would be. If you two have a dialog and determine when a good time is then it might go over better when you do start it up. You don't have the intent to disturb the peace just trying to go about your own business. Not like it's loud music or explosives going off at all hours of the day and night.
"You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day."

Offline buckz6319

If it really is him then ask him when a good time would be. If you two have a dialog and determine when a good time is then it might go over better when you do start it up. You don't have the intent to disturb the peace just trying to go about your own business. Not like it's loud music or explosives going off at all hours of the day and night.
thanks for the input, and I may try that...

Offline buckz6319

I have made a decision to continue with my boat project, after much consideration,  and the encourgement of others.

I just got to figure out a way to cut down on the exhaust noise when running the engine on the ground for the troubleshooting I will need to do before she is put into the Chap

Any suggestions?

Thanks to all for you support, and stories

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
get a cheap muffler and some of this stuff.

http://www.flexaust.com/product-line/garage-exhaust/
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Fuzzbutt

• '77 Silver/White CVX16 Deluxe
    • Mykeeshond.com
We've used products like that hose here and it works well. It helps with noise reduction and noise & smoke relocation
"You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day."

Offline buckz6319

Thanks!
So it probably will do what I need, cut down on noise.
Will that fit over the end of the exhaust riser?

If so, then I need to order some

Offline Maclin

Police officers, good ones anyway, always take down that exact information anytime they talk to, well, anyone during a call.  It is for everyone's protection.  Also sounds like there was no violation, especially at that time of day, sheesh.
Believe me, I'm familiar with how the police do what they do, and don't get paid enough for it IMO, and no violation for me :)

Thumbs Up!   could not find a smiley for that... :)
Dan
1980 Glaston SSV167 90HP Mariner
1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy VP 570/DP

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Thanks!

You'll have to measure your riser. It's really meant for a shop to slip over a tail pipe and out a hole in the garage door. I have wanted one for a while when working on cars in the winter in the garage.
Jason S.

Offline buckz6319

Thanks!

You'll have to measure your riser. It's really meant for a shop to slip over a tail pipe and out a hole in the garage door. I have wanted one for a while when working on cars in the winter in the garage.
Ok, thanks
Here is a link for ya, this place is 20 miles from where i live, and love to go visit the store
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cpt-flt300

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Summit is only 20 miles away? I'd get in trouble if I lived where you do!
Jason S.

Offline buckz6319

Summit is only 20 miles away? I'd get in trouble if I lived where you do!
yes Jason, and Marks is close to that magical store also:)

Offline MarkS

Yup, drive by it twice a day (on days I go to work).  It's a Motor Head's Candy Store!  They carry marine stuff too, but luckily (for me) nothing for outboards.

My last trip there was to get a set of rear spring hangers from Ford Racing to level the ride height of my F-150.  The boat trailer is the heaviest thing I haul these days, I want to give it more of a "street stance" without screwing up the ride. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:58:20 AM by MarkS »
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline buckz6319

Yup, drive by it twice a day (on days I go to work).  It's a Motor Head's Candy Store!  They carry marine stuff too, but luckily (for me) nothing for outboards.

My last trip there was to get a set of rear spring hangers from Ford Racing to level the ride height of my F-150.  The boat trailer is the heaviest thing I haul these days, I want to give it more of a "street stance" without screwing up the ride.
Marks, are you sure that the F-150 doesn't need some performance parts...lol

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
I read this entire thread and it absolutely pisses me off.

Should we be courteous to our neighbors?  Yes, we should treat them as we expect to be treated.  Should we bow down and kiss their posteriors, allowing them to dictate their rules to us?  Absolutely not!

Unfortunately people like this neighboring jerk are out there.  We have one in our neighborhood.  She called the sheriff when I used my tractor to smooth the gravel on the lane (county right-of-way, not maintained by the county).  When the road department got involved I had an enlightening conversation with them about the neighbors: Some people have no life and like to stir things up.  They have a need for drama and this is their outlet for it.  They are powerless people who crave power over others.

So I am sorry you have crappy neighbors.  Don't let them run your life.  You know the noise ordinance rules for the area you live in.  Abide by them.  The rest of the time run that boat and do whatever you want.  If the cops show up, ask what ordinance you are violating, knowing full well they would not be able to articulate it to you.  The neighbor will quickly get a reputation with the local law enforcement as a waste of time.

Let your sad, pathetic neighbors go about their lives.  They have no power over you unless you give it to them.  Refuse to do so.  They have no authority over you.

Just my $.02...
-Eric

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Summit is only 20 miles away, I would be in trouble with my bride for certain.  Likely worse if it were a McKenzie's or ORW, luv dirt and off road almost better than boating.  Anyway, I digress,  as for exhaust note. I use cheap 4" drain tile, its nothing more than direct bury plastic, but if your just doing some tuning and testing, it works well, especially if laid flat to fill up a bit with water overall, I have found just taking the edge off the sound is good enough.  If your going to run for extended periods, then maybe the metal stuff might work better.  My exhaust is coupled with rubber hose, so the area really never gets to hot.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline buckz6319

I read this entire thread and it absolutely pisses me off.

Should we be courteous to our neighbors?  Yes, we should treat them as we expect to be treated.  Should we bow down and kiss their posteriors, allowing them to dictate their rules to us?  Absolutely not!

Unfortunately people like this neighboring jerk are out there.  We have one in our neighborhood.  She called the sheriff when I used my tractor to smooth the gravel on the lane (county right-of-way, not maintained by the county).  When the road department got involved I had an enlightening conversation with them about the neighbors: Some people have no life and like to stir things up.  They have a need for drama and this is their outlet for it.  They are powerless people who crave power over others.

So I am sorry you have crappy neighbors.  Don't let them run your life.  You know the noise ordinance rules for the area you live in.  Abide by them.  The rest of the time run that boat and do whatever you want.  If the cops show up, ask what ordinance you are violating, knowing full well they would not be able to articulate it to you.  The neighbor will quickly get a reputation with the local law enforcement as a waste of time.

Let your sad, pathetic neighbors go about their lives.  They have no power over you unless you give it to them.  Refuse to do so.  They have no authority over you.

Just my $.02...
-Eric

" Amen" " Amen"
thanks!  I just got vary upset, especially when this project has been kicking my butt! wanted to throw in the towel, raise the white flag

Thanks to the support of family, and members I have since moved forward, and are trying to get over it:)

Offline buckz6319

Summit is only 20 miles away, I would be in trouble with my bride for certain.  Likely worse if it were a McKenzie's or ORW, luv dirt and off road almost better than boating.  Anyway, I digress,  as for exhaust note. I use cheap 4" drain tile, its nothing more than direct bury plastic, but if your just doing some tuning and testing, it works well, especially if laid flat to fill up a bit with water overall, I have found just taking the edge off the sound is good enough.  If your going to run for extended periods, then maybe the metal stuff might work better.  My exhaust is coupled with rubber hose, so the area really never gets to hot.
I agree about Summit, and wish I had my old 69 Chevelle back, just so I could go  spend some time at Summit :)

Now about the 4" non perforated black drain tile. I inspect it 2-3 times a week , never dawned on me that i could possibly use that.

I will get some soon...thanks for the heads up on that

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
... I have since moved forward, and are trying to get over it:)

Okay.  Good.  Saying it is the first step.

As your Glastron support group therapy continues, please post a video of your 'too loud' boat running in your driveway.  Allow the rest of us to share in the fun!

8)