Author Topic: my old boat  (Read 6792 times)

Offline TomLund

• BOATLESS
my old boat
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:26:47 PM »
Hi everyone I was just wondering if shorty has any updates posted on the 66? I still would like to be part of the club I will at some point will have another classic but first thing first. I hope everyone has a fun and safe meet I will gone that weekend working so be safe

Tom Linda  and Alex
Painting With Color Inc
   Living Life in Color

Offline ems

my old boat
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »
I ordered his express comp materials and he says he's gunna bring it to the meet, so if the motors working then yes it will be there. I'll have him post progress
1972 glastron cv-16 ss Family owned since 1971
2000 gmc savana hi-top (Land Yacht)
1993 lexus SC300 5spd (JZ JZ)

Offline Shorty

Re: my old boat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »
I have to let her go. need a vehicle. Hoping I can get it moved while keeping one complete drivetrain I can rebuild in the meantime, so when I find a classic with a bad drivetrain I'll be ready.

In a way i am hoping it doesn't go...... but, it is in the classifieds

Transom is done by the way. lol

Tom, if you are interested in getting her back at this point, I would like to make that happen for ya.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:19:03 PM by Shorty »

Offline Shorty

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
Well, still hoping she doesn't go, so today I mounted up an outdrive and inner transom assembly... still don't know the term for that inner bracket.

A little backwards perhaps, but after installing, I sanded her down and got her prepped for paint... so tomorrow, the outdrive and housings will be sprayed gloss black epoxy

Now I just need to order two headgaskets, and two manifold gaskets.

Gonna pull the manifolds and leak test em. If good, reinstall to the heads

Then head gaskets in both, and run tests with water - hopefully no water in the engines.

Pick an engine, install it. It's ready for an engine to go in.

Then I just have to fill and bleed the Tilt/Trim - hook up some good ole wiring and steering, then I suppose it's off to a water hole to see what she does.

Hoping to have an engine in it and all hooked up by the end of the weekend.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
I am happy to see that last post Shorty! Just finish her, run around on the water, see the smile on your daughters face, and you'll be hooked all over again.  Just buy a $400 beater!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Shorty

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
Today I got the front engine mount pad cut, fit, glassed in.... waiting for it to setup for a while.

I should be able to go out and gelcoat it within the next hour or so.
Fairly cold, but I've dealt with this before... I just use a tiny bit extra catalyst....
still takes longer to set up, but works just fine... and the engine won't go in until sunday at the soonest anyway - more likely next week.

I still need to pick up gaskets and tear into the engines.... I think I'll get em later today, and maybe start....
tomorrow will be my last day this week to be able to work on it - then back at it sunday

If anyone remembers, this had a straight 6 in it, and it's getting a 140, so I had to put a pad in way further back.
I'm really hoping the 140 is enough for this thing..... it won't be a hot rod, but I think it'll do well as a cruiser.

I left the front pad intact in case someday someone swaps again. These boats seem to be a good 350 candidate :)

Anyway, I'll mount a battery tray up on that front pad.
There will be plenty of room for it there, and I'd rather see it there than squeezed in alongside the engine
(I cut the old battery pad out.)

Looking like she will probably see water at least once this season (At least for testing)

I'll post pics of the mount later today after I clean the bilge up and gelcoat the pad and bilge bottom again.
She was perfectly white, until I got in there grinding and stuff again. Planned on another coat anyway.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »
Well.... A little clean up to do after this gel sets, and I might take a belt sander to the bilge to smooth everything a bit more and coat one more time, but it looks good. I should probably just leave it :)

Anyway, decent progress for today anyway.... engine mount pad, gelcoat, and painted outdrive.

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »
Looking good!  But I would recheck the measurements for the front motor plank location. Mine originally had a 120 which is the same physical dimensions as the 140 and the motor mount centers around 15 inches from the front of the engine box, or within the center of a 2x6 spaced 3 abreast from the front of the box. That boat will move right along with the 140, perhaps around 45-46 mph tops. With my 120 I could get 40 mph with a stainless prop, on a good day.

1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Shorty

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
Thanks Rich...

I measured from the rear mounts forward to the front mount... measured multiple times, siting down to the bolt holes and figured it was give or take 28"

Then I measured from the rear mounts in the boat and centered the 2x6 pad at 28", giving me plenty of slack either way.

Should be good.... unless I really really screwed up lol

Offline Shorty

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »
Looks like I glassed mine in very different... should be fine though.... it is bedded/glassed to the hull on either side, doubled up 2x6's both screwed into the center stringer and the outer stringers, and to each other, and glassed over. I just didn't do the longer sections of glass over each end..... but... I am thinking mine should be stronger than stock... whatever... :) It works

Hmm.... maybe I should not have glassed over the entire piece huh? I just figured it would be best for water/moisture proofing.....  meh... it's gonna hold the motor... that's all that really matters.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 05:26:59 PM »
45-46 ??!!?? nice... I was HOPING it would do 40-41, so, bonus if it does!

Offline Rich_V174SS

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »
I think 28 inches is about right from the rear mounts to the front. It just looked like your front plank is a little more forward than where mine was. Maybe just an optical delusion. ;-)

When I re-powered my boat with the 3.7 liter engine I moved the 2x6 plank 6 inches forward and there was still room for another 2x6 between that and the front bulkhead. This is what it looks like now:

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Shorty

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 05:33:18 PM »
The spacing looks to be about the same as yours for the 120 pad - my photo shows the original 2x6 pad that was there for the inline 6 that used to be in it. I did not remove it. Figured I'd use it as a flat location to move the battery to - rather than sitting alongside the motor (where the original battery pad was)

On another note.... this comes home Saturday :

First photo is the one coming saturday
Second photo is the last one I built, that I sold about a year and a half ago

Nice resemblance huh? This new one is gonna be even nicer though.....

:)

She should look nice pulling a boat eh?

Offline Rich_V174SS

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
This is how I made up my forward planks. Two 2x6's screwed onto angled blocks that were bedded to the hull and stringers, then glassed over the top to the front bulkhead and sides of the stringers.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:52:50 PM by Rich_V174SS »

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Shorty

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »
Nice work :) Looks nicer than what I did, for sure.... :)

I thought of blocking like that and running a single layer, then realized a double layer of 2x6 would do basically the same thing.

I put a small chunk of plywood between them and the center stringer to pick up the gap, worked out perfect.
So I am bedded and screwed at the sides and center. Should be plenty. Definitely more than what was done factory.

Offline Rich_V174SS

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »
Thanks! I take it you're gonna use lag bolts for the mount? I chose to thru-bolt mine with long bolts using large fender washers and nuts underneath. If you notice on my finished engine pic there's a spacer under the engine mount. I needed more height for drive shaft alignment than the mount adjuster could provide so I made up the spacer from scrap 2x6 coated with resin and painted the same as the rest of the engine bay.

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Shorty

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
I am going to through bolt. Even though it's new lumber, I just don't like the lag concept.

I have enough room under the 2x6's to get a nut on.

I may have to make a spacer as well. I am ready for it if need be. I am about 1/8" shorter than the stock mount, but not sure of the height difference between the 140 and the 6 cylinder that was in it originally.

Time will tell :)

Offline Shorty

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 07:56:21 AM »
Hey guys. Boat has just been sitting tucked away over winter.

Time to get this motor shoved in her. I'm gonna get a few guys over here ASAP to lift the engine up into it (It's pretty tall on the trailer... always issues with hoists)

Just have to hook up electrical and cables and tilt/trim and she's going!

So... She will be on water this summer :) Probably a couple months

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:25:44 AM by Shorty »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 08:07:11 AM »
Sent you a PM & email ...