Author Topic: '91 19CSS restoration has begun  (Read 18689 times)

Offline Tmstibbe

Re: '91 19CSS restoration has begun
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »
My 1991 css has the original gray floor carpet in the cockpit and crawl in cuddy.    I looked at 89 models, when they were new and then when I was shopping 4 years ago for a used one, the 2 I looked at had the white fiberglass/gel floors.    Rebuilding the floor and covering with carpet will be easier and look better in the end, and it will be as it was originally built.  Tom S.

I'm looking forward to see how you expand usable space in the cuddy, are you lowering the floor or lowering the floor down the center 1/3?   If you are lowering the middle 1/3, consider making it wide enough for a porta-potty to sit within it.   Your outings will be easier with young children.  I thought the original factory design should have included this element.

Offline bnz433

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 06:05:54 AM »
TMstibbe - Since I had to remove the offset (left of center), middle stringer, I've decided I'm going to run the new stringer right down the middle, in the keel line.  Then I'll just install a floor hatch/locker, between the port side stringer and the new center stringer, and paint the inside cavity.  That will give me ample room for skis, bumpers, etc., and be accessible right from the access to the cuddy.

Most of our outings will include some camping, with provisions on land, so the need for a porta potty is limited.  When we were kids, my dad would tell us to just jump in the water and let it flow! Is that no longer acceptable? :P

The larger CSS, like the 28' and 33' have plenty of room, and include a head.  But these cuddies are just a bit too small to have that, plus make it useable for sleeping/napping. 

Some of these '91's, with the Teal color, use a gray carpet on the floor and a teal carpet below the gunwale down to the deck.  So I'm going with something along those lines.  I'm considering a snap in provision, just to make future inspection, etc., easier.  But that's not definite yet. 

Jamie

Offline bnz433

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 05:29:48 AM »
Scored my resin supply!!  16 gallons of epoxy resin, and 6 kits of our "peanut butter".  This stuff sets up rock hard, and is great for bedding the stringers and creating chamfers in the corners!  All for the lump sum cost of ZERO!!!

And while my fiberglass source (the ones closing up shop) didn't pan out, my shop supervisor can get his mitts on a couple full rolls of 1700 fiberglass.  So this is gonna save me about $800, which I can then use for some of the other upgrades I polled you all about!!

Sweet!  Now I gotta make the time to get cracking!

Jamie

Offline Tmstibbe

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »
In my CSS 19, the gunwale carpet and floor carpet are the same gray color.  No teal carpet in the boat.  I believe mine is an early in the year model, it was displayed and sold at the Minneapolis boat show in early 1991.  ts

Offline bnz433

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
Yeah, I've seen pictures with various combinations of grey and teal carpet.  I'll probably do grey for the flat part of the floor, and teal up the sides, but only if I can get a good seam at the transition (which is debatable). 

The carpet in the stern on each side of the engine was all crudded up (oil, grease, crap, etc.).  I'm toying with the idea of either a) paint it a textured white (probably not gelcoat, but something exterior/marine grade) which would make inspections, etc. a bit easier, or b) rhino liner or something darker and slip resistant.  We use some pretty tough epoxy paint in power plant generators (a lot of our guys use the old/leftover stuff for their garage floors), so I might grab a gallon of that and use it (for free!!!).  Super durable, too!

I gotta get cracking on this thing.  The snow's just about gone here, and kids, house, work is getting in the way...haha!

Jamie

Offline bnz433

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 08:38:58 AM »
So, as with all projects on my list...kids, house, work, travel, etc., all make this a slow moving effort.  Still crossing my fingers for a mid June LAUNCH!!

Got the new stringers bedded in a couple weeks ago.  Should be able to at least get them tabbed in this weekend, maybe even a layer or two of 1700 biaxial (I'm using epoxy).  I've got 12oz veil for the top side of the floor.  I'll probably roll a coat of epoxy on the bottom side of the deck (even though I'm using 50yr Advantech plywood). 

I've got the cleats all the way around the new stringers.  Rather than leaving a 90deg angle on the bottom of the cleats (making it tough to get a tight layup when I glass them in), I beveled the bottom edge to a 45deg.  Before the glass goes on the stringers, cleats and all joints will receive a nice soaking of thinned epoxy resin just to seal everything up and make them all "one piece". 

Sorry for the picture quality.  I'll get my other camera out and take a wider angle shot of the entire hull. 

Jamie

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »
what are your plans to tie the new stringers into the engine section to keep the hull nice and rigid?  (Not criticizing, just curious!)
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Jerry

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 09:32:54 AM »
16 gals of resi? you have to be kidding never used more than a gallon. What are you doing?
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »

16 gals of resi? you have to be kidding never used more than a gallon. What are you doing?
A gal...
Ha
I used 6.5 on the GT
And 13 on the 1900
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 11:23:31 AM »
And he got it all free!  No worries about a budget!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bnz433

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »
For the tie in to the good stringers, I created a bit of a lap joint, and epoxied them together.  Dead straight all the way front to back.  Everything is epoxied together, with SS screws as the initial "clamping" mechanism at all joints. 

I've got 20 yds of 17oz biax, for the main layer, but that'll go down after the 18oz 8" tape I'm using to tab the stringers to the original hull.  The epoxied glass will help to better resist any water ingress/permeation, and make for a stronger/stiffer hull overall. 

Good thing I got 16 gallons.  I ran through all of the peanut butter kits just bedding the stringers/bulkheads and filleting everything.  I'll probably use a good bit more bonding the deck to the stringers and to the sides when I make up my own peanut butter with Cabosil filler. 

After the deck is down, another layer of resin-soaked veil to finish it off and make it nice and smooth.  Toying with the idea of painting the topside before I lay down the carpet. 

If I was paying for all of the resin, I'd probably go with poly.  But free is as cheap as it gets, and if my budget holds up, I'll probably only be into this project for about $3000 (including purchase of the boat!!!).  Of course, that's before I start adding any upgrades, etc...which I may hold off on until next offseason.

Jamie

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
"Toying with the idea of painting the topside before I lay down the carpet."
i rolled on 1 coat of grey gel with wax inside the 1900, i really like how it turned out.
not sure if you can gel over epoxy but Red uses 2 part epoxy on the boats he does, gets it from Crown pain (local to him at a good price)
the equiv epoxy was here in MN $120, that's why i used gel.
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline bnz433

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 12:15:26 PM »
I saw that, Deuce...and one of the reasons I'm considering it. 

Some of the 19CSS had not carpets at all.  I doubt I could get a smooth enough finish, but I may just grab a gallon of epoxy paint just for some added sealing, etc.  Plus, if I decide to use snaps instead of glued carpet, simply unsnap the carpet and hose it all down.  A nice topside finish will make for easier cleaning, inspection, etc. 

Jamie

Offline Jerry

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »
Epoxy!
Don't get me started.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »
I used two gal. plus on my transom ...
Did you thin the one gal. of resin with 10 gal. of acetone ?

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
Nice work Jamie...
its great that you had access to all that epoxy resin at N/C, i would have used that in a heart beat :D
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline V153

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »
epoxy resin at N/C, i would have used that in a heart beat
Amen to that!

Argue the pro's & con's of epoxy vs. polyester all you want but at that price ...?
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline bnz433

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 09:48:42 AM »
Stringers are all tabbed in.  Should have time to get the 1700 biax laid down by the end of the weekend, then cut out my foam board templates for the new deck.  Have to head to Denver on Sun-Wed for work, so by next weekend the floor should be in!!  Before I cover it all up, I'll get some pics of the glass work loaded up here. 

Making progress...deadline is looming!

Jamie

Offline bnz433

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
So it's been slow going with all of the other stuff that takes over one's life.  Work, kids, etc.  Oh well!  But I'm nearing the end of the big stuff. 

Floors are all in and glassed.  The "blue" around the perimeter is a filled epoxy I picked up at work for free.  It's used in our work for filling large caps at the ends of a generator winding.  Once it passes it's shelf date, we have to kick it off and toss it.  So I used it to make the transitions from the floor to the walls and hull (especially up front).  The original transitions left a lot of low spots and valleys that didn't always lead to the stern for drainage. 

To eliminate any penetrations through the new floor, I built up 2 layers of 15/32" of Duratech ply.  45deg taper around the perimeter.  Marked out the seat pedestal holes and used 1/4"-20 tee-nuts recessed into the bottom.  Then epoxied it to the bare floor, and glassed it all at once.  No water getting through toggle bolt holes, etc.  any more.  If they ever rot (50yr warranty on the wood), cut/grind the bases out and lay in new ones. 

Finally I painted the stern and bilge with Rust Oleum garage floor 2 part epoxy paint.  Since this is all covered up, I don't need to worry about UV discoloration, etc.  I thought about white, but the 1 car garage kit in light grey was only $60.  Now I'm thinking about painting the whole interior before I glue down the new carpet (purchased from BoatCarpetBuys.com....and showed up in 3 days!!!). 

In hindsight, when this project started, I probably should have just pulled the engine.  Sure would've made painting the bilge a hell of a lot easier.  I'm sore as hell today because of the contortionist positions I had to maneuver into in order to paint that bilge area!!!

I'll throw another coat of paint on the back tonight.  And think about painting the rest while I'm at it.  I guess I'm just worried about the adhesion of the carpet glue to the garage epoxy????

Hope to have carpet in this weekend.  Then get the front part of the interior in (console, cuddy divider, driver/passenger seats) too.  Then get it in the water for a couple test runs before I install the rear seat, etc.  Sure makes engine work easier not having that stuff in....ya, know....just in case!!!

Home stretch!  This winter I'll pull the wing to send it to a fiberglass guy to have it completely re-gelled (cracking like crazy).  Once I get some testing done, then I'll worry about prettying up the rest of the gel finish (wet sand, buff, polish, etc.). 

Jamie

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
that turned out really nice :)
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !