Author Topic: Anyone put a solar panel on their boat yet?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Easthaven

Anyone put a solar panel on their boat yet?
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:58:36 AM »
Im thinking of dropping one or two 200w on front hood to power a possible front hood mounted 50lb hot foot trolling motor... Not sure yet.. Want to keep it OG but the same time i dont want to get stuck per say floating down river without a paddle. I've got a Bimini and ive seen the flexible ones you can Velcro to Bimini top but not sure it enough to power sound, lights, troller... What u guys think?
Adam Stevenson
1979 cvx18
1956 v156
1965 16' fibercraft
If you like something, get 2 of it!

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Anyone put a solar panel on their boat yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »
       Solar is the rage these days and prices continue to drop to utilize the technology.    If you intend to do this, I would suggest a multi layer approach.   Use a battery isolator or battery switch so that a deep cycle second battery can be installed.  By doing this, you prevent the main engine battery from being discharged(the battery that gets ya home), and the deep cycle can take the deep discharges that occur with high power accessories like stereo's, trolling motors, refrigerators, etc.    Then a solar cell can be added with a solar charging unit to charge the accessory battery or both.   This would extend your time by allowing some energy to be put back in.   Do not expect a solar panel to adequately operate even low power accessories directly, some form of energy storage must be utilized.  Turn key systems are available for this purpose, or you can design your own, lots of info on the web.   Good luck.  Michael.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Easthaven

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
Gettin down to the wire on this! Still at the shop waiting to get it out! Im told just a frew more days... Lower unit being replaced had a slew of other stuff replaced. Gouges n scrapes in hull fixed Bimini added and makeshift seats tossed in... Next year or year after ima do a real wood floor with wood dash and a swim platform all made of same wood fitted in, stained, sealed and looking fine! Cant wait! Anyone ever thought of getting recessed headlights into front just under nose? As well as the solar panel idea... Thoughts?
Adam Stevenson
1979 cvx18
1956 v156
1965 16' fibercraft

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »
I've got one hooked into the battery and bilge pump switch to make sure the battery doesn't die on me as it's docked all summer for the first time. $14 on sale at Northern Tool.
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:49:04 PM »
I had headlights on my pontoon, but got a warning from DNR that they are only to be used for docking, illegal appearantly to use while under way.  Maybe other states are more forgiving.  As for installing them, I say do it.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »
Believe there called docking lights, but have never heard of them being illegal under way ... BUT ... Mike and I are in different states, so can't say ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=docking+lights+for+boat&hl=en&biw=1438&bih=702&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CEcQsARqFQoTCMmo5qnRhscCFVgQkgodSHQLug&dpr=0.95

I have used hand held spot lights to locate channel buoys on rivers at night, bow mounted lights wouldn't be good for that task.

Offline Easthaven

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:12:56 PM »
I'm looking at doing very much like recessed marine car headlights. I looked on Twra or whatever the tenn website it was and it didn't say I couldn't put them on my boat. I'm just gonna ask around the water police when I hit the lake here in a frew week the specifics. Then I'll ask sum more water police, then I'll ask sum more at a third lake. And I may pose the question to a local lawyer to get me real talk on legalities. Thanks tho! I don't think I'll be on the water much at night but what if I want to bow hunt from my boat? Not really, but could happen.
Adam Stevenson
1979 cvx18
1956 v156
1965 16' fibercraft