Author Topic: My CVZ rebuild - I have a question/problem thread  (Read 17196 times)

Offline Scott in nh

My CVZ rebuild - I have a question/problem thread
« on: August 06, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »
My CVZ was previously repaired improperly, so I do not have anything to use as patterns.
I have seen how to make a pattern, but was hoping somebody would save me the effort!

Thanks,

Scott
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:58:50 AM by Scott in nh »

Offline 75starflight

Re: CVX/CVZ stringer patterns?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »
Scott,  I am also currently working on a CVZ-18. I have a pattern for the front, but it does not have the taper down for the front seats to rest on. I would be happy to make you a copy of that and then measurements for the rear of the stringer since mine are good shape from the dash back.

brandon
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:02:10 PM »
      I recently restored a CVZ-18, and Brandon(75starflight) is currently in the process of doing the same.   I had given Brandon a template or two, but in the end I had to do some custom fitting to suit how I wanted it to be done.   For instance, I made a double layer transom that goes all the way across, though many only use the single center mounted transom.  Stringers were the worst part to get right since there is a curve on the bottom from the hull, and a drop to a point in the front.   It was a long process of cutting, sanding, and fitting.   Floor was somewhat easier.   My old stringers were so rotten, it was hard to make any templates from.   My advice would be if your removing all the transom, stringers, and floor would be to make a nice cradle that restores the hull shape, then custom fit the stringers to hold it in place.   Plenty of folks on here have been through this process, feel free to ask questions, and by all means, post progress photos.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 07:24:09 AM »
Thanks guys!

Brandon I would love a copy thanks, let me know what you need to get it to me.

Michael, thanks for the advice, I am hoping to block it up on the trailer as a cradle.
I haven't used a straight edge yet, but there appears to be a hook where the front half of the stringer under the floor no longer connects with what is left of the stringer under the engine.
I figure I am going to need a good amount of weight on the stringers during install to get it all reasonably straight.
No worries about fitting, in a different life long ago I installed/finished hardwood floors for 8 years.

Scott

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:43:26 AM »
    My Z had some significant hook, about 3/8 to 1/2", caused by an ill fitting trailer bunks not supporting the transom properly.  Combined with rot and weight it distorted the hull profile.  When all the stringers, floor, and transom are removed, it is amazing how flexible the remaining glass is.  Combined with having to support you, and possibly a helpers weight inside, it is in my opinion, very important to support the hull to obtain the final shape you desire.   If you plan to blue print the hull, this step saves a lot of time and filler getting the lines back to straight.  Since you are an accomplished woodworker, a cradle should be a fairly easy task for you to construct.  Not saying a trailer will not work, it could very well, but my cradle for instance has four caster wheels allowing the craft to be maneuvered around the shop as I need, very handy.   Good luck to you in your resto, it is a lot of work, but when completed, the sense of pride and accomplishment is well worth it.  Take your time, be safe with the tools and chemicals, and enjoy the time.     
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:36:42 AM »
Thanks Michael,

No shop, little flat ground room, gravel/sand driveway.
That is why I am looking to support it on the trailer, but your points are well taken.
I am not going to blueprint the hull, this is really just a family boat that I want to get back in the water, see how she runs and go from there.
A fresh interior will have to wait until next year, but I do hope to get it wet before the season is over (or at least before the lake freezes lol).

Scott

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »
Michael,
I have found and read Brandon's restoration thread, but have not been able to find yours - can you give me a link?
I've been looking at CVX/CVZ threads since last fall so I have a pretty good idea of how things are typically handled, but the more the better!

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 09:17:46 AM »
Thanks Michael,

That is why I am looking to support it on the trailer, but your points are well taken.

Scott, I am in the same "boat" (sorry for the pun) as you are. My work area is outdoor also including dirt floor, but i did build a cradle and level it before I transferred from the trailer to the cradle. I had to though since my trailer was not in the best shape to support the hull at the time.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:45:56 AM »
Thanks Michael,

Scott, I am in the same "boat" (sorry for the pun) as you are. My work area is outdoor also including dirt floor, but i did build a cradle and level it before I transferred from the trailer to the cradle. I had to though since my trailer was not in the best shape to support the hull at the time.

Haha - My trailer needs a lot of work too, but will supply a side-to-side level basis for supporting the boat by the strakes and I want to keep it mobile!
I am going to put a pallet on my motorcycle trailer to put the motor on for the same reason!

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
Sorry to double post a question - meant to post it here:

Can you link me to your cradle build details and or do you have drawings or dims?

Thanks,

Scott

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 10:34:02 AM »
Sorry to double post a question - meant to post it here:

Can you link me to your cradle build details and or do you have drawings or dims?

Thanks,

Scott

Sorry Scott, I don't have any specs on my cradle. To describe it, it is a 2x6 frame wider than the hull and the same length as the hull, with supports running every 3 feet on center. I have four vertical supports holding the hull each are located at the lifting strakes. The two center ones are supporting the weight of the hull it self and they are 2x6s standing on end while my outter ones are 1x10s or 12s  just to keep the hull from flexing and getting out of shape.

I need to build a bow support eventually so it doesn't flex as much. I will post some pictures this afternoon.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
Here is a couple pics of the one I built for my 23 Made a big frame out of 4x4 and then took a 2x10 and laid it on end running along the inner strake then added an additional 2x4 on the outside strake/ edge
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »
Ok thanks Brandon,
I searched around but didn't see anything similar to what I was thinking - your description seems close!

I have a smaller trailer that I can easily remove the beds from leaving me with a flat platform.

From there I think I simply want to build a box on the trailer out of 2 x 6 on edge that will support and true up to two lower strakes.

I haven't decided if I also need to support the two outer strakes the full length of the "flat" section or just add enough support to steady the boat.

I am thinking I will replace the transom wood first and before cutting any holes take it down to the private ramp for our road (200 yds away) and just float it off of one trailer and onto the other.

Am I crazy or on the right track?

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »
Wow, that is quite a rig and project you have going on Fireman!

I'm thinking along your lines, but less complex as I am not removing the top deck.

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »
The boards screwed to the stringes were so I could flip it over and the acted like saw horses. Then I blueprinted the bottom of the hull.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »
Scott,  I am also currently working on a CVZ-18. I have a pattern for the front, but it does not have the taper down for the front seats to rest on. I would be happy to make you a copy of that and then measurements for the rear of the stringer since mine are good shape from the dash back.

brandon

Brandon can you explain what you mean by "taper down for the front seats"?
Also, how is the floor laid out?
Sorry but I have zero wood to work with so I know there was a bulkhead by the walk through and a center stringer from there forward, but that is about it.

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
I built the cradle for my CVX 18 similar to Brandon's. Frame and cross members are 2x6's, uprights and rails are 2x4's. Here Ethan is attaching felts to soften the ride.

I brought the rails up as far forward as I could even bending them to follow the contour of the hull.

Here's a side view. Handy storage below for my new stringers until they're ready for installation.

John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »
I have a ton of pictures from my CVZ rebuild..I'll put a link tonight.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 07:01:25 PM »
thanks for the tips guys, trying to keep this one the "I need help - show me what you did" and the other is my work in progress.
Does that make sense?

I think I am going to use the lumber right under the strakes to get the hull as straight as I can without flipping her over to blueprint.

Starting on the trailer gives me something like a auto chassis jig to have a flat surface to work from so the hull doesn't have a hook or a twist.

What do you think?

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 07:22:20 PM »
Some people have added extra supports to their trailer instead of building a dedicated cradle. You might try that route as it's just another way to support the boat as you work  and it and it is movable.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3