Author Topic: Burnin Daylight  (Read 107077 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Burnin Daylight
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Crrrreeeeeep!  The scope of this project just keeps growing! Making me want to dig out the "hips" on my 21.  They always seemed dry but not likely!

Makes me think I should fill those hip pockets with Seacast or something like it.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »
I just went to Seacasts web site to check it out and saw how they removed a transom with a chain saw!
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
I just went to Seacasts web site to check it out and saw how they removed a transom with a chain saw!

Yep, I used it on the CVZ-18, and if the 19 ever needs a new transom, I'll use it for sure...I liked it.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 12:30:21 PM »
after removing the engine this morning, and the transom assy

Did you sell the whole drive system or just the motor? I assume you removed the transom assembly because the boat is getting a newer/better drive system to handle the HP increase.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:43:00 PM by CVX Fever »
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline V153

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
.. Great Stuff !

Now ... for the Sweet and Sour ... after removing the engine this morning, and the transom assy, I tapped on the back of the transom .. Solid sounds all the way around .. Swweeet,  inside the boat, good sounds on the upper part of the transom, then ... and Then ... thud .. the lower portion of the transom was soft, those dang  "hip pockets"  had water trapped, and soaked into the transom like a wick on a lamp ... well, now for the rest of the story,  take out the flotation boxes, dig out the hip pockets, lay in a new transom.

Eww!! Yucky! But tbh with these boats even in origional condition you better be prepared for a lil rot. No matter how well kept it's gonna happen. Let's face it they were not all that well 'waterproofed' to begin with.

I recommend some Tough Stuff laminated w/biax for the transom/flotation boxes. Stronger than sh*t & will never EVER absorb water ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
Crrrreeeeeep!  Making me want to dig out the "hips" on my 21. 

LOL .. Chris, I thought I had run across a dry one here, but,I'm beginning to be convinced .. Dry is unlikely on most of these hulls.  There is evidence of the water coming into this boat from under the bump rail, where the hull is put together, I'm thinking about just glassing the seam with a strip of 6 oz mat inside the hull while the boxes and hips are bare, but I may just seal top and bottom of the strip with polyurethane sealant. These boats have a thin foam tape looking seal stuck to the hull section, and the deck is screwed through the hull with stainless steel screws 2 to 3 inches apart into a plywood strip inside the hull,  the bump rail is screwed through the the hull to the same strip ... funny to me that water can get up through that bond, but it sure looks like it on this one.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 12:10:01 AM »
Eww!! Yucky! But tbh with these boats even in origional condition you better be prepared for a lil rot. No matter how well kept it's gonna happen. Let's face it they were not all that well 'waterproofed' to begin with.
I recommend some Tough Stuff laminated w/biax for the transom/flotation boxes. Stronger than sh*t & will never EVER absorb water ...
[/quote]

I think you are right Doug, this boat has been very well kept, but if you're gonna use one, it's subject to get water in it sometime .. but this little darling is just turning 30 years old, I quess it is due time for a little re-furbishing.

I've not used the "tuff stuff" you mentioned, send me a link to it and I'll check it out, but I've already bought the wood I use for this one, it's a 7 core hardwood ply I've been using for years.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 12:23:54 AM »
here's todays update ... I got the flotation boxes and the hip pockets cleaned out, and started injecting the foam up front.  The steering cable and control cables were incased in the foam that was poured in the starbord box .. that was a pain. I weighed the sacks of the old foam I cut out, the one sack I just put dry foam in, it's really lite, But ... What a difference in the wet foam in the others, and all the wet wood from the transom is in the trash can,  I couldn't even lift it to weigh it, near 100 pounds I'd quess.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »
after removing the engine this morning, and the transom assy

Did you sell the whole drive system or just the motor? I assume you removed the transom assembly because the boat is getting a newer/better drive system to handle the HP increase.

Barb has bought a completely rebuilt Alpha One drive for it, 1.50 ratio, and I will be adding a bullet nose on the lower unit like my drive has.  I have delt her out of the motor and drive from her boat.  I'm looking for a cheap 25ft to 30ft cruiser project to put in my slip here at the lake, I'd like to find one that needs powered .. thats my plan anyway. 
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »
Burnin Daylight is turning 30 next year and like I told Olered "I wanted to give her something special for her birthday"
She has given me alot of special times in the last 16 years.  It's her turn.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline intimidated

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
wow, fast work!

That looks all too familiar.  my intimidator had leaked into the rear 'pods' through the deck joint and rotted the transom as well as the floor stringers etc....it was in pretty bad shape.

I added drainage out of the rear pod area into the bilge when i made the new transom.  i caulked the deck seam with 5200 and resealed all the rub rail screws and it STILL leaks into the port side once in a while.

you can check out my build thread for reference over on CGOA site

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1707&hilit=intimidator

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Wow !  you have done some good work on your Intimidator
that 3M 5200 is a good product, isn't it called Life Caulk, it don't take a lot of prep for it to adhere to most any surface, but it sure won't adhere to a damp surface,  I haven't used it in a lot of years, but I have used it on several  boats years ago,  I had not thought about using it inside this boat .. hmmmm .. thanks for reminding me of that product.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Waah ... (sniff sniff )
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 10:55:34 PM »
it was a little sad in some way to be pulling the motor out of Reds Gold today
But ... it was a glad thing when I got past the sad part ... I can't think of a better place for it to be planted than into Barb's Intimidator.

We had a pretty warm day here today and didn't work on Barb's boat, I pulled the motor out of the Scimitar, and I got some things done I needed to do outside before the weather turns cold and windy again tomorrow afternoon, highs in the 40's next week.

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »
All you had to do was think about whats going back in to get past it I bet.
NICE airborn shot! Was that from the august meet? I see a barge in the background.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline V153

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
yes, it's a pic I took from the video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-kK0gSKHlo&feature=player_embedded
Ya now yer talkin' Red. Awesome shot! WooHoo!!
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline intimidated

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »
Wow !  you have done some good work on your Intimidator
that 3M 5200 is a good product, isn't it called Life Caulk, it don't take a lot of prep for it to adhere to most any surface, but it sure won't adhere to a damp surface,  I haven't used it in a lot of years, but I have used it on several  boats years ago,  I had not thought about using it inside this boat .. hmmmm .. thanks for reminding me of that product.

thanks Red, as you know, it's a heck of a lot of work.  This was my first time using 4200 and 5200.  That stuff is amazing.

I'm curious to see what the center section of Barbs transom looks like once all the wood is removed.  The glass on the center section of mine was quite a bit rearward of the surfaces on either pod.  The factory filled the void with pure resin while the cap was off I assume?  When i redid mine I had chip and grind all the cracked/broken/delaminated resin out in order to build it back up with 1700 and epoxy so the full width ply fit flush with the glass all the way across.  I think i ended up laying 6+ layers of 1700!  It was nasty.

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 11:34:41 PM »
Her transom is the same way, about a 1/3 of the filler broke out with the good wood on the port side, about 3/8 thick, and some was bonded to the wood, and not to the transom at all, and there were also big voids just like you described, and Yes .. a Pain to get flat again.  When I get the rest of the wood off, I will mix up a chopped strands and resin filler, use that to get the transom flat again, then I will bond a 3/4 plywood piece about 6 inches wider at the bottom than the top, the next plywood bond will be the one that extends to the sides of the boat, the third bond will be 3/4 ply about the size of the transom box, thats the way I buiilt the transom in my Scimitar.  I took a break from the transom today and layed in the first section of floor, injected more foam so it will get it's expanding done, I will lay in another section tomorrow, inject more foam, then go back to the transom.
Here's a few pic's of the transom build in my boat. 

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 11:46:56 PM »
Foam Shots on Barb's boat today
1980 23ft Scimitar

GT150 JEFF

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »
Red

Project is lookin good !!