Author Topic: Anyone replaced the trim controls and harness in their boat?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
Has anyone changed out their trim switch and harness? It looks like a simple plug and play.

I have a 1979 CVX 16 SS and I had posted previously I went through 2 trim pumps in one weekend.

I have procured another good pump and a dual solenoid setup. I wired up the 2 solenoids to the pump. I also transferred over the circuit breaker for the power supply to the switch, from my pump and solenoid to the new setup.

I hooked up a really nice (used) original switch and harness to the pump and it worked flawlessly. The switch looks brand new and the harness is wrapped in the original weave and in great shape. I'm going to test my switch and make sure its not sending power to both sides of the motor when pressed. But based on condition alone, I'm almost inclined just to replace the switch and the harness anyways.

I am also replacing the reverse lockout valve. My rams when I lowered with the hoses off, squirted fluid and moved freely up and down. Lets hope this fixes my issue.
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Anyone replaced the trim controls and harness in their boat?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »
The high pressure low volume pumps needed the reverse lockout, the later hi volume pumps do not.  The pump side fittings are larger on the hi volume pumps, whereas the early pumps use the same 3/16" fitting on everything.  The hoses from pump to distribution block are larger on later hi volume pumps.  I imagine if both solenoids were somehow left on, the motor windings would burn up.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
Re: Anyone replaced the trim controls and harness in their boat?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »
I just upgraded to dual solenoids. If the switch isn't working flawlessly ill swap it and the harness out.

Only crappy part is all of the fluid in the bilge now :(
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"