Author Topic: Nose high trimmed up, pulls pretty good to the left  (Read 1408 times)

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
Nose high trimmed up, pulls pretty good to the left
« on: July 28, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
My 79 CVX 16 SS with the 140 I/O and a 19p stainless lazer 2 prop pulls the the left pretty hard at speed and the bow is up. If I drop it down and get the hull in the water, its great. I have the rear of the tab all the way pointing to the left (front points towards driver). Is this correct? And is this just something ill have to live with?
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Nose high trimmed up, pulls pretty good to the left
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »
The torque tab setting is a adjustment that sometimes takes awhile to get set just right.  Take it off and see how the boat feels, then make small adjustments.  Depending on attitude of the boat, it may pull right at one power setting, then opposite as you change power.   I set mine to be neutral when on plane at about 3500-4000 rpm as this is where I spend most cruising time at.  For reference, I've never seen a tab hard over to the stops either side, it generally looks about straight on.   This setting can also change with different styles of props as well.   My 16ss at WOT, trimmed up, and on the pad the steering was effortless.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline hemi RT

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 05:28:19 PM »
My 79 CVX 16 SS with the 140 I/O and a 19p stainless lazer 2 prop pulls the the left pretty hard at speed and the bow is up. If I drop it down and get the hull in the water, its great. I have the rear of the tab all the way pointing to the left (front points towards driver). Is this correct? And is this just something ill have to live with?

If it is pulling left you want the tab to the left, back of the tab is on the right hand side
Boat Pro International
Restoration, detailing and appraisals

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 07:53:24 AM »
As said, find the best compromise you can, but also consider upgrading to the "no feed back" (NFB) type of helm.

I've had one on my GT160 for over 20 years and also consider it a safety device - especially when others are driving.