Author Topic: V-184 wiring diagram  (Read 4349 times)

Offline ihmechanic806

• No God = no peace. Know God = Know Peace
V-184 wiring diagram
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »
Hi all,first time poster here.

Last summer I purchased a very nice 1974 V-184 Crestflite. 351w (badged as a Glastron 225), Mallory Dist., Holley 4bbl carb. Berkeley Jet Drive.
The boat was in the water here in MI and so I was able to test it out before I made the purchase. It ran out exactly as advertised. (Started hard, but once warm ran great with occasional spit and sputter from the spark arrestor) ohh...and (steering is very hard, as in: takes a lot of effort to move the wheel.)

Got it home and inspected the ignition system. Cap was cracked and points were in tough shape. I removed the points and installed a pertronix ignitior II paired with a Flamethrower II coil. **(Please spare me the opinions on pertronix, I've heard it all and I've used many myself and for customers on farm equipment)** Fired it up in the driveway and it ran okay but still somewhat cold blooded. Took it out to the lake one afternoon and it was very reluctant to stay running. Loosened distributor and adjusted while my brother ran the controls. Got it seemingly dialed in to optimal starting/running position and took off around the lake and it purred like a kitten. Docked it and loaded up, took off across the lake again and engine just slows down and dies, won't restart. Checked fuel pump, carb etc. found no spark. After 15 min engine fired again and would run under 25% load long enough to get us back to the launch and died again never to restart.

Sorry I'm so long winded....I assumed that I had burned up a coil so I swapped it out with the known good stock 3 ohm coil and no change. Removed tan tachometer wire and another gray wire from coil and tried to no avail. Tried a brand new ignitior II module to no avail. Grounded dist housing directly to battery ground and still no change. Fuel delivery checks out, engine cranks, no spark. (stupid me, I either misplaced or pitched the breaker plate I removed so i can't try that).

I would like a wiring diagram to know if this unit has a shift interrupt switch/module and what exactly the tan and grey wires are for I am at a loss, it just makes no sense to me at this point.

Also how difficult is it change the steering cable on this thing? Is it worth paying someone else to do?

There...thanks for reading.   :o
Born Again, Meigen's Man, Father of 5. I fix farm tractors. If ya ain't dutch ya ain't much.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: V-184 wiring diagram
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 06:40:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum ihmechanic806 !

I think "Glastron" motors were just Volvo's with a Glastron sticker on them.
You could try searching here ...
http://www.volvopenta.com/marineleisure/en-en/for-owners/your-engine/manuals---handbooks.html

There's also a few "Ford" guy's that might be able to help.

Offline ihmechanic806

• No God = no peace. Know God = Know Peace
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:05:51 AM »
Thanks Hyperacme,

I'm a marine greenhorn, but I had wondered if the engine was maybe a volvo? omc? etc. It is identical to the volvo 225 jet in the ad you attached so that answers that question.
Born Again, Meigen's Man, Father of 5. I fix farm tractors. If ya ain't dutch ya ain't much.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:23:52 AM »
Sorry I cannot locate the exact wiring for your craft.  I would like to offer a few suggestions though.  Check the voltage present on the positive side of the coil when cranking and running if possible.  If low, it is likely a ballast wire/resistor is present.  Your pertronix must have full voltage to operate, they do weird things under 10 volts.  The distributor is grounded well enough, but coils must be.  The grey wire may likely be a 12 v tap to supply power to something else, say like an electric choke.  The other wire on the negative should be the tach wire.  I would remove it for testing, if there is a short or issue with tach, it may be holding the negative side of coil low, which then causes no spark.   FWIW, the pertronix equipment is good stuff, I use them in most of my cars, trucks, etc.   I've never been given any grief about them.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:25:35 AM »
There are also online service manuals here ...
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

And ...

Berkeley Jet manuals here  ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2916.0

And ...

70's Stern Drive & Jet owners manuals (boat wiring not motor wiring) ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2919.0