Author Topic: Summer Kick-Off Reminder & Update  (Read 35192 times)

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: Summer Kick-Off Reminder & Update
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
I made a change in our camping spot, after seeing the lay-out of the sites, I changed our camping spot to #106 so I won't have to un-hook the boat from the van when we go and come, it's a larger site, room for our tent, the van and boat, and it's a little closer to the majority of the group,  less walking ... it's a knee thing.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:56:40 PM by Hyperacme »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 09:50:47 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to stay put.  (Unless Terry, you'd like to move to be closer to the group too?)

I'm thinking that where I'm at, I'll be able to just anchor the boat overnight in the cove that'll be right behind us:

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
I looked it up on BING maps (which I like better then google maps) and that looks to be a really shallow steep cliffed area

it also looks like the BING picture was taken during low water and yours was during high water.

looks like the camp sites around the shower are much shader and more private, but the ones down on the end of the road are larger.
limping through life's little suprises

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
Just checked the Bing map.  That's really quite old.  The Resort has been open since 2008, and took over a year to build, so its at least 5 years old...the Bing map is 'pre-resort'.

However, yeah, if the water levels are low (which I wouldn't think it'd be that low in early June), it'll be fairly shallow, but I'm sure I can get the boat back up in there and tie it off with my anchor buddy so it can float over night.

(That's my plan anyway...)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:13:38 AM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »
that explains why I couldn't find the resort when I was looking.

Good I was a little worried about having my kids that close to a cliff.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »
Nah, there aren't any cliff's at Rathbun...more like former wooded valley's that were flooded when the dam was built.

I'm fully expecting to find paths from the camper sites down to the lake.  I really ought to take a day off and drive down & around Rathbun with Dan and scout the campground...now I'm really curious.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
If you do, picts would be much appreciated. ;D

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »
Seveal years ago I was camped next to a family that just anchored/tied their boat up to the shore for the night verses loading it back on the trailer.  Next morning no boat.  The vessel was found on the other side of the lake stripped of the engine and all their property and sunk floating upside down.  I've never liked beaching my boats so mine was on the trailer behind my pickup and was safe.  Since that incident I have never left my boat in the water out of my sight.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Stupid Question... on the lakes here  in Nebraska that I frequent there are walk ways extending from the ramps that you can tie off too while you park the vehicle. Just was wondering if the ramps at the camp ground are set up the same way??? Other wise I will have to get the wife more comfortable with backing down the ramp.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:59:37 PM by ban-one_1 »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »
Had a thought... on the lakes here  in Nebraska that I frequent there are walk ways extending from the ramps that you can tie off too while you park the vehicle. Just was wondering if the ramps at the camp ground are set up the same way???

Yep, there will be a walkway.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2012, 01:04:16 PM »
There are pictures of the camping side ramp here:

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2817.30
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
Seveal years ago I was camped next to a family that just anchored/tied their boat up to the shore for the night verses loading it back on the trailer.  Next morning no boat.  The vessel was found on the other side of the lake stripped of the engine and all their property and sunk floating upside down.  I've never liked beaching my boats so mine was on the trailer behind my pickup and was safe.  Since that incident I have never left my boat in the water out of my sight.

YIKES! Makes the campground/marina in Red Wing look all the better! Safety in numbers and the campground's right there! Feel bad for that family. What a bad wake up call.
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »
Last summer on White Bear Lake I was called in for an out of control boat that had crashed into the shore (happened to be my deaded access) we activated the dive team and launched the boats looking for a person afloat in the lake, I arrived on the shore and shut off the motor on the pontoon, which was still going wide open.  We found a debris trail across the lake where the boat had been stolen and all of the contents (life vest, tables ect) thrown in the water.  Sherriffs department showed up with dogs to try to track down the thieves, I'm guessing it was kids, but they never found them...

...come to think of it I have the same story from last year that involved my truck, might be time to move out of Mahtomedi, its a crime haven.

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Lots going on today ... hehe.

I just got back from the lake - yes, with a camera.

Joe, you are exactly right.  I had been misinformed when I called the State Park Office (hardly surprising, considering they don't take the reservations there).  The South Campsites are electric only.  There is water access at the shower building.  The North Campsites have full hook-ups - but NO SHADE !!!  The South Campsites have water views & trees (especially the far south end).  

Doran, you'll be a long way from your boat if you tie off overnight.  That cove doesn't come in as far as it looks on the map you posted ... the water level is pretty low & the outlet side is high.  Unless we get some significant rain, I don't expect any change in shoreline between now and then.

Brandon, the Corps of Engineers has floating courtesy docks at the ramps.  You'll have no problem tying off the boat and parking the truck.  They are floating docks, so the GT's and CV's rub rail will most likely sit below the wooden edge - make sure you bring bumpers.

I measured out two good beaches - both in Buck Creek.  The shorter beach gives us 340 feet of sand and is 120 feet from waters edge to the start of ground cover (tall grasses & scrub).  The other beach is nearly 1000 feet, about 80 - 90 feet deep from waters edge to start of rip-rap.  I'm going to upload pictures now and will post them shortly.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
Ok - Picture updates.

Start with the campsites.  I forgot to take my list when I left the house, so I didn't get pictures of everyone's registered site.  I can do that another time if it's needed/requested.  I took pictures of 118 & 124, with a third as a view of the water from 124.  Also, there's a panorama of the North Side Camp lot.  The only advantage I really see in the north lots, besides the trade of individual campsite water & dump access for no tree cover is that some of the sites are drive through - so you wouldn't have to back anything up.  But, we're all experts at reverse anyway ...

Site # 118 ...

Site # 124 pic 1 ...

Site # 124 pic 2 ...

North Camp site ...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:08:00 PM by Hyperacme »

Dan O'Connor

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »

...come to think of it I have the same story from last year that involved my truck, might be time to move out of Mahtomedi, its a crime haven.

Okay now you're scaring me! My step-kids dad lives in Mahtomedi. They're only there half the week but I didn't realize it was a shady place!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »

Okay now you're scaring me! My step-kids dad lives in Mahtomedi. They're only there half the week but I didn't realize it was a shady place!

Both incidents involved leaving the keys in the vehicle, my own damn fault

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
Now for the beaches.  

Beach 1 is the smaller beach, very visible from the road that crosses the dam when headed north (for the general public that we hope will attend our on-the-water boat show).  There is a large parking lot with 97 parking spaces, and a restroom facility.  A 340 foot shoreline at this location, we can fit 22 boats with roughly 15 feet of beach per boat.  That's plenty of room to walk/wade around.  If we're lucky enough to have more than 22 on this first event, we'll move to beach 2.  

Beach 2 sits below the "faux-dam".  The beach is very long, not quite as deep.  There is a parking lot that has 40 spaces for our viewing public.  The boats won't be readily visible from the roadway, but we want people in the sand and water anyway, not up on the road.  Both spaces have an access drive so that our "concessions" people can get down and set up their grills.  There is a restroom facility at this place, also.

Beach option # 1

Beach option # 2

Beach option # 1 & # 2

Beach option #2.2

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:13:42 PM by Hyperacme »

Dan O'Connor

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »
Nice,

My site looks like its next to the water, I can beach at my site!

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
Here's an updated map.  Red & Terry moved around the horseshoe...and I'm back down on the row again:

1990 Sierra 1700