General Category > General Discussion

$ idea for new floor/transom?

(1/7) > >>

JB_CV16:
I sold my CV16 last year- makes me very sad....... so I'm looking around and I found a guy thinking of selling me his. But he was honest enough to say the floor was soft and the transom was too. I've never delved into that arena. Anyone have an idea of what kind of dough a person would sink into those projects? (or who around town does a good job on them?) As bad as it sounds, I don't have the time this summer to tackle it myself- even though it'd be a great learning opportunity. Thanks guys,

Hotwired:

--- Quote from: V153 on June 21, 2010, 07:40:08 PM ---Yeah, well. I paid way too much for mine to begin with. $800 bucks for boat, motor, & trailer. Floor was "new" and the stringers, transom felt solid. Looked really good too! "Fresh" from Ohio. Oh well. Hang a big(er) motor on it & all hell breaks loose.

For gits'n shiggles I just added up all the reciepts I could find from my 'resto'. Most of these were from Fiberglassservices for resin, tuff stuff, glass. Came up with $2207.71.

This does not include rebuilt motor, new(er) gearcase, Lightspeed prop, SRX prop, new clutch-dog, new driveshaft, etc, etc.

Just in case you think you're an idiot for spending "too much" money on your Glastron? I'm the biggest idiot of all. I probly got 4 or 5 grand in a boat that might sell for $1000 ...

But boy she sho rides nice. Hauls a** too ...? Guarantee she'll smoke a GT 150 with comparable power.

--- End quote ---

As per that quote ... doing the labor yourself it could be about $2k in materials.  Having someone else do the labor I could easily imagine 2 - 3 times that. This is a reasonable hobby but not at all a lucrative business! But still .... go see what $8k - $12K buys you for a new boat.  Not much ... not even a new 150 HP engine!

And look at the great company you'll be in!

Jason:
There are a lot of relly nice old Glaston's for sale right now for under $3000. you'll have that into your boat in no time. I don't think the materials to do the floor and transom are all that expensive, maybe $500, but if you pay someone to do it I would image in couple more grand with all the hours of labor.

Are you looking at another CV16?

dorelse:
I can tell you that I did fix the transom on the CVZ-18 using Seacast.  Good stuff, very good stuff.  Floor, stringers everything would have me at about $500.00 into a boat that cost me $600.00.

If it were me...there are a lot of nice older Glastron's for sale, like others have said...(that Green CV-19 for example), which could get you on the water today for a lot less than redoing a boat...

JB_CV16:
Which green CV16? Where's it posted? (the other one is around $1k, but am told the 115 Merc is perfect, etc.)  
Hotwired- Okay, I'll give you a $1k for yours.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version