Author Topic: Burnin Daylight  (Read 107069 times)

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: Burnin Daylight
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »
it's called "Great Stuff" from Lowe's or Home Depot
comes in 12oz cans, have used 8 cans so far
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:23:55 AM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
I'm curious about the foaming pics. It almost looks like styrofoam on top or did you paint/treat the underside of the plywood? Looks like that is attached to the stringers by foam as well or construction adhesive?
BTW Very nice work you're doing. Barb is lucky to have someone like you around.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:24:00 AM by Rosscoe »
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline intimidated

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
nice work.  sounds like your moving along alot faster than i did!   I was working in 'Gods garage' for most of it which definitely slows things down!

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »
With all the speed mods Ole Red is making to Barb's boat, she may have to rename it "Burnin Water."
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 01:46:55 AM »
I'm curious about the foaming pics. It almost looks like styrofoam on top or did you paint/treat the underside of the plywood? Looks like that is attached to the stringers by foam as well or construction adhesive?
BTW Very nice work you're doing. Barb is lucky to have someone like you around.

I don't treat the wood when I'm going to inject the foam under it, the foam sticks to it.  This foam is labled "water resistant" thats kinda funny .. because it will expand and set up under water. there are four kinds of that Stuff, a green can that remains soft, and don't push as hard, the red can sets up ridgid, a black can that suposed to fill wider gaps, and a yellowish can that has some kind of fiber in it, I've never used any but the red can, because I know how it works, the black can cost a little more, will probably work better, but I haven't used it. here's a couple pic's
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline MarkS

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »
REALLY appreciate your sharing your technique and pics with us Red, I'm sure I'm not the only one facing this project in the future and have no experience tackling it.  Doing as much research as possible before hand to try and learn the "do's and don'ts".  Hope you don't mind a couple of questions;
1 - Do you drive 1/4" dowels in the holes left from the foam cans before laying down the main mat, or what?

2 - How many layers of mat do you put down on the floor?

3 - I've read a lot about leaving drain passages under the floor along the main stringer.  Any thoughts pro or con?
PLEASE keep sharing the steps of this project, it's great being able to watch as it comes along.
Thanks again
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 08:21:48 PM »
Hi Mark, I'm no expert on these old boats, but I have done a bunch of work on them, I'm not a perfectionist, and I tend to do things a little different than some may, but I do try to build one safe, decent looking, and will last at Least as long as I will.  Oh ... and I like em to go  Fast !

1 - Do you drive 1/4" dowels in the holes left from the foam cans before laying down the main mat, or what?
no .. but I have driven part of a pencil in a couple that were still expanding when I was ready to lay mat, and sometimes I just put a pice of masking tape over the holes, when you leave the cans in the hole overnite the hole seals itself, then the resin from the mat covers them up.

2 - How many layers of mat do you put down on the floor?
First, I will fill any gaps or voids on the edges with filler, then I will lay the woven roven mat on the seams, then one lay-up over the whole floor, overlapping the seams,  then sand, or grind the entire surface to get rid of any hairs or bumps before the carpet is layed.

3 - I've read a lot about leaving drain passages under the floor along the main stringer.  Any thoughts pro or con?
I choose not to put any drains under the floor when I am going to inject the foam, if I'm just going to lay foam logs or foam pieces under there, then I will put some drain holes.  Personally, I'd rather fill the space up with foam, seal it up good so water has no way to get under there.  Most foams, other than the Styrene, or Polystyrene closed cell type, will absorb water when in constant contact with it, even the foams most boat builders used for years for flotation, they will float, but in constant contact with water they will absorb it.  The Great Stuff  foam I use may eventually absorb water also, if it's subjected to it continually from a break in it, but when it remains sealed, by it's own expanded shell, it will not let water in,  the stuff will actually expand and set up under water.   
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »
Today's Up-Date
Got the seams ground down and layed the mat on it today,  I'll get back to the transom tomorrow ..
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 10:55:56 PM »
Red - what do you use to grind down & smooth the fiberglass & resin?  Previously, I've used a course 60 grit on a belt sander to really cut away and high points....curious what you do?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 10:44:40 PM »
Hi Doran,  I use a Norton Metalite 24 grit 7 7/8 grinding disc from Home Depot.  The disc is designed for an industrial grinder with a rubber pad, but I use it with my drill motor so it spin so fast and creates less dust, it's easier to clean up anyway.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »
Back on the Transom ..
getting the wood off the transom was mostly hammer and chizzel work.  I always wonder why they used so much of that filler stuff, there is at least 3/8 of the stuff all across this transom, well, not any more, alot of it broke off with the wood.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:00:28 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline intimidated

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
Good work Red

ugh, the sight of that cracked resin filler is giving me nightmares....been there done that...

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
Nice work Red. That Intimidator will be better than new by the time your done with it. Barb is lucky to have a friend/neighbor like you, that's for sure. ;) 
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline V153

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
Feel yer pain Red. Been there. Nasty job but hey somebody's gotta do it. Personally I chipped, chiseled, ground, sanded and cussed every last bit of that crap outa there.

Went with a pourable 'ceramic' compound from AdTech to squish in behind the new transom. Used 1/4 toggle bolts through the motor/stern eye/drain holes to suck the transom up tight. Worked like a charm. I defy anyone to find a hollow in my transom.

Granted Barbs is a lil different animal ie the transom not being the full width of the boat. Might have to cobble up a 'form' of sorts to make it work. But it would work, good too.

ps A lil voice in my head keeps saying "4 inch exhaust, 4 inch exhaust ..." Over and over again. Please make it go away ...!   
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline V153

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
Squish. (Exterior has been cleaned up since ...)
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2011, 11:27:09 PM »
The transom is beginning to look like a transom, got the first two layers of wood on it today, the third coming on tomorrow.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
Lookin good! Hmmm... I shoulda had you copy me a pattern!

What are you using to adhere the layers of the transom?

Oh, and I guess there isn't much room under the hood for raising the X-dimension on these... or is there?
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »
Ugh is right. That looks tedious chiseling out that crap.
So 3 layers of 1/2" ply? Are you bonding them together at all? Looks like you're sealing the bottom up too? What are you using for that...resin? I can see obviously that layer two is wider then layer one. Will layer 3 be the same width as two? Do the "wings" on layer two lay flush with the transom out there or is there a void? Sorry for all the questions. Trying to get a good picture in my head (that I'lll forget anyways)  :D
Looks great. You work fast. Foaming looks great too. Solid as a rock.

Doug, did you do yours without popping the deck off and do it all from the inside?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:30:57 PM by Rosscoe »
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2011, 11:04:52 PM »
I don't mind questions at all ... I'm building the transom in Barb's boat just like I bult the transom on my Scimitar,  I'll post pic's of it with the deck off and you can get an idea of all three lay-ups.
To bond the layers together I use a chopped strand and resin mix, just like a fiberglass filler, but pretty wet, it's slick, messy, and stron as  ... heck.  The pieces of wood are pulled together with screws through the transom assy mounting holes, and a few more coming through the back of the transom, the resin mix that "squish's" out, I brush up to the edges of the wood to fill any gaps, and makes a curved contour to lay the woven roven mat over.
The first ply lay up is 3/4" ply, 10 inches wider than the transom box at the bottom, gives more support to transom box, and those little "hip pockets" that are filled with foam,  the next ply lay-up is the 1/2" that extends to the sides of the hull, and completely glassed in up the sides of the hull.  The third ply lay-up is 3/4" just the size of the transom box, it too was pulled together with screws.  On Barbs boat, I cut in the drive hole after each lay-up of the plywood, and pulled the third piece of the transom wood with C clamps, and a few screws as well.

I cut the drive hole in my boat after the transom was completely built .. that was Tough to do, but one of the pic's here is of the plug I cut from that transom.

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »
It Fit's !
1980 23ft Scimitar