Author Topic: CV16 leaker ..  (Read 23979 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
CV16 leaker ..
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:44:24 PM »
Been getting water in hull, lots of water, up to floor after an hour.
Replaced fancy drain plug with old style brass tube / plug setup, now leaks just as bad if not worse ...

Entire inside of deck to hull is fiberglassed together, 3M 5200 bead around all rear trim pieces (pic # tr10)
When I mounted motor, splash well compressed and drain plug seal broke, might be letting water in ...
I'll need to pull motor to replace, theres only about a half inch between motor and drain plug (pic # tr4) you can see the tip of a screwdriver in middle of picture.

All old / unused holes for speedo and old steering setup were filled with resin.

Other area is the plates between motor and transom that keep motor away from drain so splash well will drain.
Theres no way to seal large cut outs in plate (pic # tr2), although not sure how waters getting in, as holes in transom were coated with resin before mounting motor ...
Thinking about getting some 2-1/2" Setback Fixed Jack Plate by T-H Marine to seal better (pic #fixedJackPlate) ..

Still not sure how that much water could be getting into hull from such small openings ?
Might be a hole in hull under bunks ... But not likely ...

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: CV16 leaker ..
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
You can see how the set back wedges have slots that are hard to seal with sealant.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
Frustrating I imagine.  Could you bow up the trailer and fill with water from the garden hose?  Maybe see where water comes out?  2nd idea, roll up paper towels and tape to the transom at various penetrations, then check to see which ones get wet?  I knew your old plug setup leaked, but the old style are pretty foolproof.  Couldn't be leaking around it maybe?
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:39:41 AM »
That's bad to hear Gregg and the boat looks fantastic, so clean and well loved!

What's that hole at the top mounting plate on tr2 just below the top right securing bolt? is that just in the top plate or is it deeper and not closed off enough?

Best
Mike

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »

I’m betting it is a pretty easy fix.  Lift that motor off, pull those plates, and I’m guessing an old mounting hole opened.  Flexing of these transoms has to happen a bit with the strain they must be on at times.

Put a nice patch on under that mount, the engine will hide it. 

Best of luck.

David
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
Hi Gregg,

I'm surprised you don't got and have a transom plate made like mine, high grade, highly polished marine grade stainless, they look great and are easy to polish, they also and more importantly reinforce the transom by spreading the load, they also allow you to cover what you have there behind from previous mounting systems at the same time as allowing you to totally seal the transom at the mounting points. Mine has a decent sealant behind it and not a single weep ever from the transom, even with the pressures it gets from that motor I have,

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
Mike … I'm going to local lake and back in slowly … Good idea about taping towels to side where deck / hull / rub rail join, only place that's not glassed / sealed, just old foam tape between them. I had to file down drain plug hole to get tube to fit, filled with sealant and compressed with Joe's tool. Can't believe it could leak there … BUT who knows …

Dave …
New transom wood and all old holes in hull were filled with resin and new holes drilled, then thinned down resin was applied to new holes.
Funny thing is … When I got the boat there were still old mounting and T&T bolts under new motor and didn't leak a drop !
See picture # TTmb2, red arrows are old T&T mount bolts.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »
UKMike …  Yes thats a hole in plate ... there is no hole in hull behind it ..
Plates are wedges and can only go on one way, so slots on one side and holes on the other side.
Hard to fill slot side with sealant.
Not sure how that much water can get in thru there …

I do have a transom bar on splash well side to cover old Merc thumb screw mount scars.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »
I have a suggestion that you might laugh at but there is reasoning behind it.

Take the boat to the lake, don't drive it, just anchor up and see if you get water as before.

If you don't then you know the water is coming from the mount plate or the splash well. If you do still get water you know it's from below the water line.   ;)

Then you will know where to look next.

Best
Mike
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 12:09:15 PM by UKMike »

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
One other thought is when was the last time you checked the seal on your bilge pump outlet? I have to replace mine last year as it was the original and was weeping under certain conditions, "when I was taking right hand turns at high speed. I don't know where your outlet is but it's worth considering.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
And looking at your pics Gregg I can't understand why you have needed to move the mounting plate further away from the transom, I understand what you are saying about the splash well water draining but most if not all of the mounts have a hole in them to allow the water to discharge from the splash well, doesn't your mounting unit have that hole?

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 01:57:01 PM »
You have a great setup but why do you have the fuel bubble in the splash well? Why not mount it under the splash well? What's the benefit of having it externally?

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 04:52:13 PM »
Wild thought - would the spray from a pressure washer used at various locations on the boat duplicate a water leak?
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 09:35:09 PM »
Does it leak while sitting still,  no movement?  Could it be your speedo tube?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline Diamond Chad

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »
We had a speedo tube leak in the CVX-16.  Took 2 of us to find it.  1 driving at speed, the other crawling around the floor looking.  Since no apparent cracks, we thought it was splashing under the cap.  Amazing how much water can pour out of cracked speedo tube.
2012 GTR 160 Collectors Edition
87 CVX-18 5.7 (Sold)
88 CVX-16 115 Merc  (Sold)
57 Dunphy Imperial Musky - 57 Golden Javelin
01 Malibu Sunsetter 21 LSV 340 EFI

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 11:23:27 AM »
UKMike  …
I'm going to bring boat to local launch and slowly back it into water to see what happens.
No bilge pump or fitting  …
After lifting my motor, the transom clamp was "Smashing" rear trim piece.
And ...
The splash well drain tube is plastic, so with motor lifted it makes a pretty tight seal. I thought it was the large tilt cylinder that was up against it , but after looking closer it a plate that runs across .. Splash well would drain. but very slowly …

My fuel line is copper and runs from tank to splash well, with fitting thru splash well connected to rubber line.  I would have to redo everything to place primer under deck. Almost every out board I've ever seen has had the primer bulb in splash well ...

Tim & Chad …
New tube … But worth looking into …

Dave …
I'm thinking water is getting in along rear trim pieces, running down to where rub rail / hull / deck join and coming out there.
Yep … Hose would work well for this test ...

Wish there were a hole in hull … Would be much easier to find & fix !

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
Took hose with spray attachment and squirted side trim and upper trim (Rtrim & Ltrim) for a good five minutes per side …
NOTHING ! DRY !

After replacing transom .. installed splash well drain fitting, after mounting motor, smashed transom wood and glass and broke seal on fitting ..         SO …

I wedged a screw driver between splash well drain and motor, put sealant around fitting and hammered it tight with socket and rubber hammer. Can't get any sealant on outer fitting because motor is in the way … Temp fix until I pull motor and do it right ...

The aluminum  trim piece under motor could also be leaking, but waiting until sealant dries on fitting in splash well drain before squirting water in that area.

First time I mounted motor, without wedges to keep motor back from drain, motor mount was pushing on trim piece and could have broke seal there also.

Still don't understand how that much water could be getting in ..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:46:11 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 12:32:45 AM »
Tim & Chad …
New tube … But worth looking into …

Yep and a mouse can chew a hole in a new one just as easily as an old one. Happened to my dad's Glastron X16. I'll assume the boat was fine last season.
I think I'd start by figuring out if the boat takes on water while at rest, while underway or both. Then go from there.

I'd also stick a a bilge pump with an automatic float switch in it. Some of the best money you can spend on a boat IMHO.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 01:20:16 AM »
Kip ..
It has leaked since replacing floor and transom ..
My speedo is about 1 mph different from GPS, wouldn't a hole large enough to fill hull affect readings ?
Worth looking into though, pick up is on motor so can just pull it off before launching, and see how it helps …

Kind of weird .. After a short time (10 to 20 min.) water gets up to top of bilge bowl and never gets any higher (hours later) ?
No visible signs of water coming in from sides or any where around transom ? 

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 09:06:51 AM »
I'll be at the meet Wednesday afternoon, I could help if you like.  Water gets in while sitting, but only fills to a given level and no more?  That's quite odd.   As for bilge pump and auto switch, best money I ever spent!
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude