Author Topic: CV-19 Fuel tank removal  (Read 3356 times)

Offline kamp0087

• 1972 Glastron CV-19 455 Olds
CV-19 Fuel tank removal
« on: April 15, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
Bought a '73 CV-19 a few days ago. The gas tank smelled awful and I could look down the filler spout and tell the inside was rusty and full of nasty sludge. There was no write up on removal so here goes. The fuel tank is hidden up in the bow. I'm quite certain the tank was not meant to be removed with the bow still in place...

Remove the carpet board from the Left side using a long 7/16” socket, there are 2 nuts on the back side. The next step you may not like, I didn’t either but it’s the only way to remove the tank. The support wood has to be trimmed lower to make enough room for the tank. Otherwise there is not enough clearance. The carpet board covers it up anyway so no one will be able to tell it was ever cut.  A jig saw worked well. Cut it just about flush with the wood that the fuel tank sits on. Again, this gets covered up with the carpet board, and as far as I can tell trimming it shouldn’t alter the functionality. You could always put a new small piece of supporting 1x1 wood there afterwards if you really wanted.

Remove the 3 screws from on top of the bow holding the filler spout in place. Loosen all 4 hose clamps on the filler hose, pull the spout out from the top, you can spin it to break it loose from the fiberglass resin. Remove the rubber filler hose from the tank. The filler spout cap is held by a chain and a “T” piece in the tank, reach in and squeeze the “T” piece together and you can remove it. Remove the vent hose from tank. Remove the 2 wires from sending unit. Remove the copper fuel line using 2 crescent wrenches.

Now the hard part. The tank is fiberglassed in on each side. Use an oscillating saw to cut the fiberglass holding the tank. The tank is boxed in at the bottom by 4 pieces of wood, cut right at the junction of the wood and the fiberglass. Then use a hammer and flat screwdriver to break up the fiberglass and remove. Repeat on the right side. I also removed the small piece of wood that boxed in the tank on the left side, this may not be necessary. It comes off easily with a pry bar. I plan to screw it back down after the new tank is in. Next you have to crawl to the front with a 7/16” box end wrench to remove the holding straps, there’s a nut holding the straps together. Repeat on Right side. You can also just cut the straps instead.

Now the tank should be loose, slide it all the way to the right as far as you can. More cutting now, not ideal but impossible to remove tank without doing so. There’s a thin piece of wood just in front of the  tank. It is fiberglassed to the top but does not appear to bear weight.  I used a jig saw again to cut across as low as you can, just above the board that the tank sits on. Use a box cutter knife to cut the fiberglass at the top and remove the board. In this picture it’s already been cut but I put it back in there to show you.
Now slide the tank back to the left, push the right side of the tank towards the front of the boat, and then pull it out. 

Moeller Marine 032527  looks like an exact replacement made of plastic, I just ordered it. Do a google search and you’ll find a few places online to buy from. It was also on Amazon. 

I plan to fashion the wood piece in front of the tank back using a couple pieces of 1x1 wood to support it.

Offline cv-19

Re: CV-19 Fuel tank removal
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:33 PM »

Replaced mine with a aluminum one years ago. Did about the same as you did to get it out, tight fit. Post some pictures
 of your boat.

Offline kamp0087

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
Hopefully this saves others some time and the headache I went through. I spent most of the time trying to determine if it truly could come out. If anyone knows how vital that front piece of wood is please let me know.
Thanks.

Offline cv-19

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »

MY 74 doesn't have that piece of wood going up to the bow . Back then not many were  built exactly a like.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
Moeller bought Tempo tanks about 10 years ago. Your original tank was a Tempo. Tempo made plastic tanks to match their old steel tanks. Moeller has carried them on. I did the same thing in my CV16SS about 12 years ago and have been very happy with the tank. I think you will too!

Thanks for the wright up.

Nice boat by the way! Looks to be very original.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum Kamp0087 !
That was the CV19 up for sale two or three weeks ago in MN. Craigslist ?
WOW !
That looks as nice as pictures posted on CL ...

My CV16 has deck supports in front and back of tank also, though a bit different.

Offline cv-19

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:09:43 PM »

Info. that you might use.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:50:47 PM »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
NICE !
Good score !

1971 Carlson Glastron CV-19 Jet Boat - $4250 (North Metro

Very good condition 2nd owner CV-19. 455 Berkely Jet drive I purchased it from the orginal owner back in 2015. It had sat for 10yrs(due to him having a stroke). I have since installed a new Carb, Spark Plugs, Wires, Cab, Rotor, Points, and starter. Boat starts and runs awesome. I used the boat for 1 summer and has been winterized now for 2 yrs. Very clean fun and Fast boat comes with trailer in picture. Trailer could use the brakes gone thru and new tires if planning to trailer long distances. Boat is currently loacated in Brainerd Mn where its stored indoors in my Pole Barn. Can get more Pics next time I'm up there.F

Offline kamp0087

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »
Yes, that's it. Got it last week up in Brainerd. Thanks for all the help and info so far. This is my first Glastron so I'll take all the advice I can get. The hull is in great condition. Took the motor out already, will get it running on a dyno so it's ready once the ice is finally gone.  It needs a lot of little things. It's missing the oil cooler, not sure how vital that is for the 455 Olds. I'd like to convert the roller trailer into a bunk trailer too.