Author Topic: Splash Day in 7  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
Splash Day in 7
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
The following is a short documentary of a floor rebuild I just completed.  this was the first one of this type of project for me and much was learned along the way.

Day 1

Furniture is out and picture taken looking aft.  I have no idea what is under there but I know it is very soft and sponge with what appears to be a simple plywood patch under the aft end.

The floor was as bad as I thought it could be.  The single stinger was rotted completely from the aft to the middle of the boat.  The foam logs were water logged with about 2 gallons of rancid water still under the floor; that was bad.  I pulled everything out to the kickboard.

Day 2

Cut new floor stinger and floor board for a trial fit.

Day 3

Nothing done, needed to let hull air out and dry thoroughly.

Day 4

Installed new single stringer; brown treated and kiln dried.  First day working with resin and cloth.  Good adhesion qualities on kiln dried stringer.

Day 5

Mixed 2 part floatation foam (2 one quart cans).  I used masking tape and wax paper to build a bridge away from the stinger for water drainage.  There is a learning curve with this material and the first side I did I didn't poor enough material and the second side I poured too much.  the waxed paper trick worked good on the side with too little material but the other side I ended up cutting the foam away from the center stringer a couple of inches for drainage.  (Cuts easily with a hand saw).

I then installed the first of the three piece floor boards I had cut on Day 2.  I started in the transom and worked with a short 18 inch piece.  With this short piece I could tie in the floor board with transom more thoroughly as heavy fiberglass was installed above and below the floor.  The transom is in excellent shape on this boat as it has been replaced by a previous owner.  Call me paranoid but as long as I was down there by the transom I installed "several more pounds" of fiberglass and resin.  I tied the transom forward as much as I could for structural integrity throughout this process.  I also greatly increased the size of the hole in the floor at the rear of the transom.  I have enough room now for a bilge pump or the ability to reach down with a wet vacuum if need be. 

It is at this point I realized I was going to be short of fiberglass.  It was a Saturday so I picked up some more at West Marine in Minnetonka.  I found West Marine was about double the price of Express Composites of Minneapolis.  (But it was Saturday and Express Composites was closed.)

Stopped by the White Bear Lake Classic Boat show and had lunch with Gregg, Jason and Tonka Jim.  And I listened for more advice from the experts. 

Installed remainder of floor.  Used stainless 8 x 1.5 screws throughout and coated underside and edges of all wood material installed with resin.  With a three piece floor I utilized cross braces under floor joints for added support.  Sorry no pictures of this, but I was moving fast as a one man show with resin cooking constantly.  I could make use of about 1 pint of resin at a time before I'd mix another batch.  I tried to have all materials pre cut before each mix.

The entire floor went in that day.  Each lap joint had "several" layers of fiberglass laid down and with the floor still tacky it was easy to do.  Including the final one piece top fiberglass coat.

Day 6

Reinforced tow hooks in inside transom area with half inch plywood board and resin (I know, I'm getting out of hand here but the smell of cooking resin must make me paranoid of the transom falling off :) )  1.5 gallons of resin used in entire process.

I painted the inside transom area flat black, makes it look new.

Installed carpet (it is actually an indoor/outdoor rug that I bought their only stock of).  It is a 7'9" x 10'6", and I used every bit of it.  The 7'9" fit perfectly in the hull and I didn't even have to cut it.  The nose kick board and a couple of rear areas utilized the remnants. I used carpet glue, almost 1 gallon in total.  Carpet glue is worse than resin I think.

Day 7

Reinstalled original furniture.  Waxed entire hull and used a 303 product on the vinyl. 

And then this afternoon, "SPLASH DAY!"

Top speed was 41 mph (GPS)  Tilt only, no trim on this old girl.  Prop is the original 17 that has been professionally reworked.  5000 RPM.  I know I can go faster with a different prop but I am good with where it is at.  It has worked for 40 + years and kept the motor alive and running good, I'm not going to mess with karma.

This synopsis of this text will be hidden in the boat for the next restorer to read and curse my mistakes, of which I am sure there are many.

I owe my knowledge about this process to a book titled "Runabout Renovation" by Jim Anderson and especially to the members of the Minnesota Classic Glastron Club (whom I was quietly cyber stocking this web site all winter) .

Notice telltale on engine (thanks to dorelse for that advice ), and a working spotlight from Brian (Bam Bam?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzRry7s3Klo

This was a great day!

David

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:03:04 PM by Oldfishguy »
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Slash Day in 7
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »
Awesome work David. All in a week too?! I love the carpet. The long shaggy carpet looks straight out of the 70's. I really can't wait to see this boat in person.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
GREAT job on your CV !
You have to go to Red Wing Dave !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:56:05 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:31:46 PM »
Great Job David. Nice find with the carpet. Beware of some some Orange Carpet envy .
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »
Looks good. I use to buy a bunch of stuff from West when they had a Bloomington store 3 blocks from my house, but I love Express. Good meeting you Saturday even if I didn't  know who you were. I took you over to Gregg and the guys.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:45:07 PM »
looks awesome I cant wait to see it as well. I really want to check out the carpet.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »
When I picked this boat up I had no idea finding carpet would be such a challenge.  I contacted many manufacturers, searched the web, and had quite a few samples, but nothing excited me.  What I finally found is a PEFECT color and style for the boat and era.  Like I said, it is actually a rug.  The material is polyester and the carpet shag fiber looks pretty durable to weather but the underlining cord structure will not be as durable. If it is cut it will unravel so any ends I cut are thoughly clipped and glued.  And the cord material is not high test marine grade for sure.  I would call it "light duty" indoor/outdoor carpet and will treat it as such. I don't think it could be spliced together with long term success either. It will not have near the durability of marine grade.

I found a company that specializes in buying up stuff that doesn't sell.  There inventory is limited, but they are cheap, my carpet costs $162.00 delivered.  Many times I think they have just one in stock.  I think of them as the "Land of Misfit Toys" from the Rudolph tale.  Here is a smaller version of what I bought (the rust colored one), again light duty outdoor use and I don't think it can be spliced.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handwoven-Half-Inch-Mandara-Shag-Rug-5-x-76/4668239/product.html?refccid=HI6LWWCD2U2JRFKDHFAMEQT4HA&searchidx=21
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »
Passed some major milestones in reliability, almost 10 gallons of gas through it in the last couple of days.  It is a show stopper among all. 

Photos courtesy of neighbor Ken.

1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:58:10 AM »
Good to hear she's running & looking good Dave !
Are you ready for Red Wing ?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
That boat is a calendar queen. Better bring her to red wing!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline buckz6319

Re: Splash Day in 7
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »
What a Great Job! she looks good... now to the Chrysler engine, it looks really nice too, just a great looking package
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/