Author Topic: DX215 side panel removal  (Read 2097 times)

Offline JohnB

DX215 side panel removal
« on: October 14, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
Hello  I am looking for some info . I have a small garage business doing upholstery . I  upholstered some cushions last year for a customer that has a DX215 (unknown year) and now they would like to do the rest of the interior. The problem is I don't see how the side panels come off. There is no access panel that I can see and no exposed screws. If needed I could post a pic. Thanks in advance.  JohnB

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: DX215 side panel removal
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »
Hi John ..
I've seen this question asked before on a Facebook page ..
Never read the reply though..

Try asking here ..if no reply on our forum.

Glastron Boat Owners Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1550090695244484/

Offline JohnB

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 08:41:41 PM »
Well after much research I have come to the conclusion that the makers of the boat never intended the side cushions to be removed and recovered easily .Unless you call splitting the boat in half. Not sure what fool thought that was a good design but oh well. I have been running some other ideas through my mind and think the only way to do it is to remove the old cover and foam to get down to the wood base. Then some how  cut off/grind the screw and remove the panel. Then one would have to make some brackets to attach to the finished  cushion to screw it to the boat. Now being sure how thick the fiberglass is and how well it would hold a screw I think I would opt for a blind threaded rivet and bolt the new cushion to the wall.  So any Ideas or input to my plan? Thanks in advance  JohnB.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 11:20:46 PM »
We deal mostly in old Glastron's and not sure about newer Glastron's.
I have seen this question asked several times on Glastron FB page, but have never read answers.

Offline JohnB

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 12:33:02 PM »
Thanks but I am not a member of face book  so I thought I would try here.  Guess I am on my own with this one. 

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 01:14:37 PM »
Did a search ..
Someone said they just pop out when pulled.
Others gave info that I didn't understand what there referring to.

Sorry I can't be of more help ..

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
If the plan is to recover the panel with new vinyl, I don't see an issue with cutting it open to see how it is fastened.  Maybe it does pop off, maybe bolted on?  Lots of options in the automotive world for fasteners to pop the panels back on.  If you like buttons, then there are options there as well.   After all is done, please post a quick description of what you did find w/pictures, someone someday will thank you .
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline JohnB

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 07:19:42 PM »
First of all thanks to all that have responded. I am not sure if I am going to be doing the panels. The boat is not mine. I know the owner would like them upholstered as I am finishing the seats this fall.(Did front seats this spring). I am just wondering how they come off as hat will make a big difference in how they have to be installed which can make a huge difference in how they get upholstered. If I get the job they will be done this spring as the nice outside working weather is running out. If I don't have a for sure answer I will most likely cut the cover off , remove the foam to expose the method of fastening.  From there there are many ways to put them back on. I just don't want to start pulling on the cushion and break something. And Yes I will post a pic or two of what I find.  Thanks again  JohnB

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 09:31:50 PM »
You are not alone .. There were many post asking question without any response's,

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »
2002 DX215 pictures .. Is the boat your talking about look like this ?
Are there openings under seat bottoms to reach up to side pads ?

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »
i talked with a co worker of mine who was a production tec at the plane in Little Falls when Glastron and Larson were togeather.
he said the panels were assembled and installed before the top of the hull was mated to the bottom. as best as he can recall they were studs on the panels with nuts behind. so basically not made to take apart. he suggested the possibility of reaching some of the fasteners from speaker cut outs/removing wet bar and panel in console. but he figured you could prob not get to all of them.
sorry i don't have better news :(
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline JohnB

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 08:12:17 PM »
Yes that is the boat, and that is what I was thinking that they were assembled before the boat was put together. But like I said I am not sure if I am going to do the side panels and if I do it won't be until next spring. But I will take lots of pics if I do tackle the job. I have a few ideas that I think would work. But once again THANKS for all the help.  JohnB