Author Topic: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!  (Read 53654 times)

Offline Scott in nh

Re: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2020, 10:57:43 AM »
Thanks, but honestly I can tell you have more skills/experience with sewing marine vinyl than I do!

The beauty of amateur button tuck upholstery is that all of the creases and depressions hide all of the mistakes!

Having all of the piping and nice straight stripes like you have is much more difficult, though I'd imagine the right tools help immensely.

I'm doing this on a home sewing machine with just the bottom material feed - so it can be done, but I don't recommend it if you can help it!

Are you working on another interior for a different boat too?

I started out trying to use the original covers as a pattern, but discovered that:

it was a lot of extra time consuming work

I made just enough changes to make them less useful than you might think

They were not cut or assembled with any particular accuracy

I then tried making paper templates, which worked, but was still very time intensive and many adjustments still needed to be made

IMO the only way to make accurate templates (cut an sew lines) would be to also have an accurate set of wood templates to go with them otherwise it is just a hunk of vinyl cut in a shape somewhat similar to what is needed....

What I ended up doing was to use the foam or foam and wood base to create patterns on the fly, fitted them like a tailor would fit a suit, and sewed

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
I'm currently working on the bow seats and am just one back cushion (pictured), two bases (that I'm struggling with because of the point in the front), and the cockpit bolsters away from wrapping up the interior  8)

With all that is going on in the world, I decided to try and pull back on the boat spending by doing a low cost, bench rebuild of the motor I have.

It started with finding a $150 mercruiser take off heads from a Donzi Sweet 16 that the owner decided  to upgrade with Vortec heads.

He is meeting me nearby tomorrow, but they look good, but I will clean, lap, check for bad guides, and put on new valve seals.

I bought a new crank and bearings and new rod bearings and rings.

Honed the cylinders, painted and cleaned the block.

Measured the main clearances and installed the crank.

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2020, 09:30:40 AM »
So the engine rebuild is proceeding nicely, other than waiting for parts I had not considered like woodruff keys and camshaft bolts...

Can any of you CVX-CVZ guys tell me if there would be a clearance issue if I went with a 3" or 4" tall spark arrestor?

Thanks...

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »
Good question, my z has a 2.5" tall arrestor on a qjet that doesn't hit, but I've never actually checked to see how much more room I have.   On cars I've built, we used a stock cleaner and lumped some modeling clay in the center to know the clearance.  Maybe just cut a cardboard box for testing?   
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
Hi Guys,

so I've been plugging away at the engine, interior and hull - getting closer!

The engine is mostly assembled, needs new fuel pump, and carb, cap, rotor, wires...

Distributor and exhaust are not installed, but that's about it!

I found the plywood on the foam boxes where the battery and tilt pump go to be soft, so I cut them out and replaced them - fixed the drainage issue too.

This also let me really inspect the factory foam and as discussed way back when - it is dry and in good shape.

Getting closer to actually bolting hard parts onto the hull!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:59:08 PM by Scott in nh »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2020, 08:47:59 PM »
Engine looks great. Interesting accessory configuration with the alternator way off to the side and the power steering super low. Was that how it was built originally? Using a remote oil filter as well?
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2020, 11:50:42 PM »
Jason, my CVZ is the same belt configuration.   My guess is that is how the Merc 898, Chevy 305 was originally configured.  The power steering hoses almost sit in the bilge.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2020, 04:06:11 PM »
Engine looks great. Interesting accessory configuration with the alternator way off to the side and the power steering super low. Was that how it was built originally? Using a remote oil filter as well?

Thanks Jason

As Michael said, stock position. Keep in mind the original alternator mount hangs on the log exhaust, I switched to center-rise exhaust that required a new mount, but keeps the alternator in the stock position. It will look more normal once the exhaust is mounted, but it is so heavy I am leaving it off until it is ready to go in.

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2020, 12:53:51 PM »
Hi Everyone, I hope you had a fun and safe Fourth of July!

So the helm seat mounts are done as is the engine compartment!

So I turned to doing the maintenance on the bell housing which included replacing all bellows and the gimbal bearing so I would know where I stand - if for no other reason than they have been replaced but are old, and I do not know how old

To do that I had to cut the shift cable because it is an old style that mounts to the back (facing forward) of the bell housing and there was barely a way to get a wrench on it

Next I noticed that the wiring for the trim sensors are totally shot

To replace them requires taking the hinge pins out, so I bought the tool and tried to carefully get them loose without using a impact wrench

After much spray, strength, and heat, they came out with some of the threads

So the lesson is just buy the heli-coil kit and new hinge pins upfront and use an impact and be done with it....

I still need to either rewire the existing trim sensors or replace them - not sure how to test them but will give it a try

Otherwise I have everything i need to finish what will now be a mostly rebuilt bell housing!

Aiming for in the water in August!

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2020, 01:52:33 PM »
Having been down this road with the trim sensors, replace them with quicksilver, or mercury brand. And changing out the Bellows was the right decision, both the 1900 and the bal harbor started out their new life with what appeared to be in very good condition Bellows, within two years both of them got replaced because they were torn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2020, 08:39:34 PM »
Thanks,

what I think I have is a "pre-Bravo 1", which parts are rarely listed for.

Do the ones for a Bravo 1 work?

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2020, 10:10:57 PM »
If I were to guess, you had a mercruiser 898, same as mine 79 Z came with.  A 305 2 barrel carb, I think rated at 198 hp.  Your outdrive had a loop hole in top of the drive?   Some call it the mr drive, others a pre alpha, but maybe it was replaced along the way and it's a alpha one gen one?   Not entirely certain, but I think the same bellows fit the various years.  In any case, I really doubt it is a bravo drive.  It would have a sea pump on the engine, no impellor and a oil tank for drive lube inside the boat.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2020, 07:47:55 AM »
You are correct on how the boat was configured, and as far as I can tell, the outdrive is the original pre-alpha.

When I look for parts, in this case the trim sensors, I was not finding them listed for "pre-alpha", I did not know they were also referred to as "mr" - thanks!

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2020, 08:32:14 AM »
I found the Mercury Quicksilver p/n 805320a03 fits mc-1, mr, alpha, alpha one gen 2, and bravo drives.  Plenty of aftermarket units on the market as well, but I don't have any past experience with those.   Personally, I only use one side, starboard, that has the potentiometer to drive the gauge.  The port side is just a switch to limit how far the drive can be trimmed up while running.  On a three button switch, the two buttons together override this switch to trailer the boat.  So now I have full tilt/trim with the 2 buttons on the throttle.  Just an FYI.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2020, 10:43:25 AM »
I ordered genuine Mercruiser, but paid 2-3x what some of the others go for.

I want both switches to work and be reliable as I am not the only driver......

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
Yep, the original was either an 898 outdrive (if Chevy 305) or 888 outdrive (if Ford 302).

They're both MC-1 drives.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2020, 09:12:20 AM »
Ok so several posts above I meant "pre-alpha"  :-[

I ordered the OEM trim sensors for $114 from Buster's Marine in NY State on eBay and got screwed >:(

Sends me a tracking number for USPS and a week later they still did not have the package.

An email, FB Message, Phone call, attempt to leave a VM,  official email complaint through eBay have all gone unanswered.

Admittedly not for long, but once I looked deeper into the complaints they do have, he scammed others the same way and went radio silent on them too.

So I filed a complaint with my bank as waiting 9 days for a response as required by eBay is a waste of time.

I'm going to order a cheap one with good ratings on Amazon Prime and move on.

I installed the "perma-Coil" brand of thread replacement, drilling the hole out, even with a drill press, was the hardest part.

I am a little disappointed in the Mallory hinge pins i bought.

The fit to the threads is a bit sloppy, seems like they will torque fine, but...

I don't have the pins I took out, but the web says the max diameter for a 5/8" bolt is 0.642".

I cannot find a minimum spec - these measure 0.616"

I believe a 0.642" bolt would fit much better

Also, I didn't measure them yet, but one of the hinge portions of the two bolts fits tighter than the other in the same hole.

Nothing drastic, but I expected better from a brand name - not sure what to do here, but am probably just going to go for it, I think it will be fine.

EDIT: Buster's Marine eBay store goes by the name of "Marine Bargains"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:17:34 AM by Scott in nh »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2020, 11:48:38 AM »
There's some Mercruiser info here ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=7101.0

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2020, 10:57:23 AM »
Big day (biggest yet to come) yesterday  8)

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »
Hi Everyone,
So I guess it is time for the yearly update - this happened in September  8)
Still a lot to do, but 6+ years into a 1.5 year project and it finally looks like 2022 is going to be the year!