Author Topic: Project 73 cv-16 seats and dash  (Read 20546 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Project 73 cv-16 seats and dash
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2020, 08:34:42 PM »
The aluminum plate in your picture is for attaching the side pocket trim board.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2020, 08:54:36 PM »
A guy on FB, drained his tank, added some nuts and bolts, some kerosene, put it in back of his truck and drove around for a week. Sloshing nuts and bolts around to clean rust. He never did say what he did with the kerosene when done. Should work unless your tank has rusted through. There are also places that recondition fuel tanks.
OR .. get a plastic fuel tank 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2020, 09:34:41 PM »
The foam on my seat backs was old and started to rip when I tried to remove it, so just left it and didn't seal seat backs.
The seat bottom foam was shot and replaced with 3 inches of high density & 2 inches of softer on top, then some kind of cotton batting.
I didn't seal seat bottoms, it's birch and said to last in wet environments ... They will out last me !
I did seal the seat bases, they come into contact with water .. so used a thinned down resin (95 % ploy resin / 5% styrene) and tabbed corners for extra strength.

The gray paint under your splash well is .. Beaver Gray

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2020, 11:36:11 PM »
Is the beaver gray just standard paint and not specialty? We use Dunn Edwards or Sherwin williams a lot out here. The specification sheet says just flat beaver gray.
Greg Your dashBoard looks new is that original or did u get aftermarket, I thought I read in the forums there was someone in Belgium making the emblems? Can I get the dashboard for a 1974?
 I climbed under the deck but have to figure out the gauge on the far left.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »
Pretty sure "Beaver Gray" was just paint and nothing special, other have used gel coat to cover transom and floor in stern.

My dash is original. Shawn made a mold from his and could make you one. Best to ask him if he could do it. Shipping might be pretty expensive .. There's this thread on repairing a busted up one.

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=8088.0

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=8341.0

All CV16 emblems & decals are available .. except the "CV16" emblem on passenger side dash.
Or are you referring to "Cap. plate" and "Light / horn / Acc." plate on lower dash ?

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2020, 12:06:01 AM »
Thanks this was really helpful.
Photos of glass floor and then new carpet attached

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2020, 12:31:02 AM »
Stearn resin and glass...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:44:38 AM by mrfCV16 »

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2020, 12:37:58 AM »
Do you cut the carpet around the bow holes @base of each side of the fixed plywood to bow that supports removable carpeted bow kick/kneeboard? It seems to be for emergency release of water but openings would be blocked by removable bow kick/kneeboard. In gregg’s recent boat photos of the cv16 it doesn’t look like you cut around yours.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:49:49 AM by mrfCV16 »

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2020, 12:43:39 AM »
Final carpeting. I got a little sloppy on port side stearn vertical plywood screening flotation foam. Otherwise I am ok with it for my first time. The tape was definitely the way to go. I still need to check my gas tank. Having issues loosening the cap. It feels like I am
Going to break it and have to find a better way. If tank needs coating I found local place to do it.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
Bad pictures .. but .. I cut carpet so about a inch of overlap on board behind kick board.
The board that go's over top of it didn't sit "very" tight to floor so any water that got back there could drain, but if you got water under deck by fuel tank, you would have other problems with your deck to hull seal.

I also had problems doing carpet under splash well, it looks better this time .. last time I did it was a hack job.
At least splash well curtain covers it .. LOL
Picture #3 is last time I did carpet, this time I went all the way back to transom with carpet.

I have problems re installing gas cap after re fueling. Cap is easy to cross thread. Takes two or three try's to get it right.
45 years of uses .. the threads are screwed up ..

Your boat looks great ! Keep up the good work !

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »
I am trying to get the gas cap open. I oiled it 3 weeks ago hoping with our dry weather it would seap in and get rid of any rust. I can’t seem to use pressure to open it from above. Then I thought I would loosen it from below (see pic) and take out the whole housing. The hose is  snug and I think the only way to take it out woold be to cut them. Which would be unfortunate because they are in good condition. Maybe I am making this harder than I have to? I wanted to get the cap off and check the tank to see if I have to recoat the tank. Found someone local who does that but of course that means taking the tank out so don’t want to unless I have to.  Any help would be good as I must not be thinking thru the problem.
Thx

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
I would just replace cap / hose.
Betting if two stroke mix of fuel sat in tank for two years or more .. it needs to be cleaned.

Offline 185GXSF-Guy

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2020, 06:56:06 AM »
FWIW - A guy's been binge watching Vice Grip Garage on the facetubes and there's a demo of how to clean your tank similar to Hyperacme's description above.  Here's a link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOi_lghsOCw and the cleaning demo begins around 12:30 minutes or so into video.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:16:54 AM by 185GXSF-Guy »
2001 GX 185 SF

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2020, 06:24:52 AM »
I use a cotter pin extractor, inserted between the hose and the fitting and then work it around to get the hose loose, seeing as one tab is broke off Already might just as well replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2020, 08:19:13 PM »
thanks everyone.  I did buy the cotter pin extractor but ran out of time to try and remove hoses. My first quick attempt was not successful. Will probably remove the tank if possible per Gregg's suggestion.I watched the video and will probably try that if I cant get the tank dipped.  Is that gas cap not original? I see some that may have had logo gas caps. Here is the battery base and full carpet installed in the stern. Gregg I used the carpet tape. Do you staple the vertical to the walls of hull? It looks like you may have on your photos.
thx
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:40:01 PM by mrfCV16 »

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2020, 08:24:18 PM »
Gas tank is a tight fit but it seems if i get everything unfasten it will come out. I couldn"t feel any brace holding it in on front leading edge in the bow. That post on the CV-19 removal of gas tank seems to have a wedge on the front bow.
The other pic shows the glassed in battery shelf, holddown and carpet. There is a gap in the back for access and if water gets back there. Don't know it that was right thing to do but seemed ok. The battery has plenty of support and (I added a stainless steel angle just in case to the vertical plywood under the splash well).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:55:07 PM by mrfCV16 »

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2020, 08:33:14 PM »
I have started my full rebuild of the seats. I didn't have any templates and the originals were removed before I bought the boat. The seats blog have been crucial to figure out the sizes. Need to scribe the bases and have more pieces to assemble on seat and arm ply. I bought the burlwood from Rvinyl as some of the other links didn't have them available. I have the marine upholstery currently on the way. It shipped from two different locations. Install and foam is another problem to tackle. Am going to get one of my vendors maybe to do it. Am glad to finally have the seating going. Still have a long ways to go but doing this on a budget. No way I can paint it this year or do the dash.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:28:45 PM by mrfCV16 »

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »
Maybe I should start my own thread? I don’t know the thread etiquette and maybe I shouldn’t be sharing/asking my questions on this thread? Let me know. The burlwood on the shifter backer has original metal plaques. A you tube video says I should drill them out. I suppose I can then rivet them back on. Is this how others have done it? Its logical which made me question myself. I was going to start it and decided to ask first. See bad pic below (its an older one from carpet install). Thx ahead of time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:00:03 PM by mrfCV16 »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2020, 11:57:40 PM »
The carpet staples to the wood strips that run around hull.
I have one deck brace in front of fuel tank and one behind.
You can see it in first picture ..

There is also wood around deck for stapling vinyl to.
You can also see board ( On top of foam blocks) where deck braces glass to, under deck in second picture.

The Burl wood on my throttle board was in pretty good shape , so reused it.
Would guess there are small, kind of like screws holding plate on .. Kind of screw/nails ?

The side of seats that attach to deck are odd shaped and not easy to make a pattern of.
Ed did his best to make some .. and it came out nice. Think if your a inch or two off of original no one will know.

I put a small cut out on battery / transom side to drain water that could get trapped behind tray.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2020, 12:17:02 AM »
I've seen quite a few CV16's but never looked at there gas fill's.
This is mine ..