Author Topic: Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration  (Read 18650 times)

Offline awc105

Re: Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »
Hey! Hope everyone is doing well! I have been super busy with work so I haven't had as much time to document things, but I figure I need to at least update every once in a while!

Since last time I have been working on several different parts of the boat. First of which was recreating the vent louvres in stainless sheetmetal, I traced out  the pattern of the orignal using some thin cardboard, I then transferred the dimensions of the pattern I made to some cad software and made a 3D model which I could then send off to a quick-turn laser cutting company called OSHcut. I had three different pieces cut, one is a single louvre scoop, one is the louvre frame, and the third is  the mounting plate that goes inside the boat. The louve scoops will be welded to the louvre frame, as well as some threaded studs. Some 3" stainless pipe will be welded to the mounting plate so that the 3" vinyl vent hoses will have a place to attach. I dont have much experience with bending metal, but I purchased the cheapest sheet metal brake they had at harbor freight and got good results with it:)

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2020, 09:51:16 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »
I have also been working on finishing up the construction in the bow. I have the fuel tank shelf and ski locker all glasses in, as well as the front cap support. Let me tell you, that was probably the least enjoyable part of the whole project so far, mostly because of how cramped of a space it is up there, plus the 90 degree heat we’ve been having lately, either way it is done and I have moved on to other parts now. I suppose it would have been super simple if I separated the cap but from the beginning I decided I didn’t have the space for it so it is what it is haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2020, 10:21:43 AM »
Once I was able to get the bow section constructed I decided to focus entirely on the finish. My goal for the end of the summer is to have the gelcoat all done so that next spring I’ll be able to focus on reassembly, upholstery, and other more enjoyable things! Over that last few weeks I have been doing a lot of fairing and sanding an fairing and sanding...I targeted every hairline crack in the gelcoat, primarily the white had the most cracks, I ground the crack down until it was gone using a stone on my dremel, then I applied an epoxy fairing compound called total fair. It’s really nice stuff to work with and sand super easy. So I went around the whole boat fixing any spots could find. I’m at the point now where I need to flip the boat over and do the bottom. I guess it’s true what they say, 90% of a good finish be it paint or gelcoat, is all in preparation..

Once all the fairing is done I need to coat it with a barrier coat that the gelcoat will bond with, so I chose a barrier coat/primer they recommend for total fair called total protect. I’m still unsure whether to coat the whole boat with it or just the faired spots...

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
More pics

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »
In conjunction with doing the fairing I have also been doing a fair bit of practice shooting gelcoat and learning how to make it look good, at first I did just black and then polished it all out, then I tried some metal flake. Metal flake was very difficult at first, and I tried spraying the striped pattern like I drew in that photo above which I’m sure most of you hated haha, but it turns out once I sprayed it out I wasn’t quite a fan either. So I revised the design of the paint job, it’s going to be white where it was white originally, and where it was blue originally  it will be black with a dispersed amount of metal flake to give a kind of cosmic vibe to it. I have practiced getting this finish probably five times now so I’m feeling pretty confident about doing the whole boat. Another thing about spraying gelcoat, especially in warm weather, is that your tapeline needs to be removed almost immediately after spraying, I kept having a problem where I’d let it sit for a bit and the gelcoat would kick off and you couldn’t  remove the tape! Haha

The test panel on the pics is once coat of black, once coat of clear with the flake, and four coats of clear on top of that, for a total thickness of about 25 mils, I then sprayed enough white to match the thickness of the black with flake so that it’s even.  I then wet sanded with 180, 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, and 1500, then used 3m finesse it 2 to buff, and scotchguard wax to finish it out:)

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
More pics, it’s hard to do it justice through the camera, but I really like the understated flake look, instead of a full out flake attack like a bass boat would have.

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
That’s all for now folks, time to get back to sanding!!

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2023, 07:49:44 PM »

So it's been quite some time since I last posted (crazy to think it's been a few years already), but we are back!
I've been working on things here and there over the last few years, but due to a change in career and other things life got kind of busy.
Also, my father currently has a SeaRay 270 Sundancer that is getting a new transom right now in the shop, so we've been sharing the space, his boat is in during the winter, and mine in the summer.

Since last time, some things have changed, the stainless vents I was attempting to make we're welded by a local guy and they didn't come out quite like I was hoping...however I was able to find a set of resin 3D printed vents that I plan to have chrome-plated. They can be found here:https://www.mxride.com/shop/glastron-blower-vents/

I have installed the new windshield into the frame (boy what a rabbit-hole that was).

Bought a nice steering wheel: https://www.gtperformance.net/product/14-4337-gt-classic-wood/ and designed an aluminum hub adapter to bolt a standard 3-bolt automotive wheel to the tapered square ride-guide assembly.

I have decided to stay away from gelcoat, I plan to spray the boat with a white and blue color scheme like it was back in '74, however I will be using Awlcraft SE. Selected colors are Metallic Carribbean Blue (E5005) and Stark White (L8015). The boat is upside down on a stand I built, it is coated with totalBoat totalProtect right now.

When I bought the boat it had none of the seats or original upholstery, so I had to scrounge the web (this forum mostly) for pictures and sketches of the seat frames, I was able to construct a solid model of them.

Last summer I refurbished the trailer as well.

Also, I have been working on the Mercruiser 888 Setup, I swapped the intake for a 4 barrel unit and bought a Marine Holley 650 from ebasicpower, I put center-rise manifolds on, gave it a good paint job, etc...next on the list is a new oil pan.

Here's a video of it running: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ubw24s5NyVyv5VvV4hSzT1cK5YT3yLEw/view?usp=sharing
Planning to put some 3" inline silencers on it once it's in the boat and run the exhaust out over the back of the transom.

I resealed the drive upper and lower, replaced the water pump, installed a skeg guard and drive shower (never seen one installed on an MC1, however with a couple mods it went on great). Planning on painting the drive next weekend.

I will hopefully be prepping for hull paint by the end of the month when it gets a little warmer out, it's currently mud season in SW Michigan...

Anyways now that I have some free time again I will try to be posting regular updates.

-Andrew

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2023, 07:50:30 PM »
More pics

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2023, 07:50:49 PM »
More pics

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2023, 07:53:49 PM »
More pics

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2023, 09:46:07 PM »
Keep pluggin' away !
That wheel is NICE !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2023, 11:20:43 AM »
It?s great to see the progress, I was just wondering the other day how this project was coming, I also have a very long term CVX16 V8 project going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2023, 05:49:06 PM »
I believe I have a set of them seats with the original blue vinyl. they are not in the greatest state but most of the wood is solid or there with a couple pieces missing from the bases if i remember correctly. If interested let me know, I would ask for the $20 I paid for it and you pick up from Flint Michigan area. If anything these would be perfect patterns for you for all the wood and the vinyl.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 06:02:34 PM by Fatlenny »

Offline awc105

« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2023, 06:28:54 PM »

Hey thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah my original steering wheel was trashed...GT Performance makes some great stuff that isn't too expensive. The Glastron emblem from ebay to go in the hub is the cherry on top!

I also, repaired the dash (luckily it wasn't too far gone) using abs adhesive to bond the cracks back together, and then spent a great deal of time sanding and painting it, never took any photos after it was it painted though...not sure how it'll hold up under use since it still feels pretty fragile, but we'll cross that bridge when it comes

Hey Fatlenny,

Yes! I would love to take those off your hands, they're even blue! I'll send you a PM.

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2023, 07:59:22 PM »
PM reply sent!

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2023, 04:38:05 AM »
I am not sure if my PM is going through. when I check "sent" it is empty even though I got a message that it was successfully sent. Let me know if you got my message. 

Offline awc105

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2023, 06:20:18 PM »
Weather decided to play nice today so I got a few things done.

Finally got around to making an outdrive stand, cost about $30. I found a nice 16 x 24 carpeted dolly at harbor freight, a 2x6 that I had lying around, and some extra carpet from when I carpeted the bunk boards on the trailer. I think it turned out pretty nice! Might end up painting the bare wood black so it looks finished.

Spent another few hours going over the drive with a pick to remove all the aluminum corrosion and then wire brushing, I'll probably sand with 220, 400, and 600, and then paint with quicksilver phantom black

Excited for tomorrow, I'll be picking up the seats that Fatlenny has kindly offered!

Enjoy the Easter weekend!

-Andrew

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2023, 02:06:43 PM »
We have the seats!

Big thanks to Fatlenny!

The vinyl appears to be in good shape, just needs a bit of cleaning, some of the wood needs replaced as well, best case they can be used as-is with some moderate TLC, worst case I get them recovered

-Andrew

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla