Author Topic: What did I purchase?  (Read 13144 times)

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
Re: What did I purchase?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »
Ross, or anyone else who may be rebuilding/making seats for a 1962 Surflite 153 or similar model....

Here is a link to the pictures and dimensions of the seats, boxes, panels, etc., in my boat.

http://picasaweb.google.com/100308082311074001563/1962GlastronSurflite153SeatsBoxesPanels?authkey=Gv1sRgCIW-jpDSy9LCzwE&feat=directlink

The seat hinges I replaced with larger stainless, but installed just like the originals... they lift the seat top slightly off the back and sides of the box, and mainly rest on the front edge.  Contemplated having the seat top fully rest on all sides, but decided to make it like the original... didn't want it to start wearing more on the edges.  Also, on the front bench seat... the seat locks into place using the short aluminum tube piece that's screwed onto the seat bottom.  In taking the seats in/out a few times, the screws that hold that bar in place "EASILY" pulled out multiple times on me.  After repairing it a few times, I finally got wise and added screws and conduit clamps to secure it. Let me know if you need any additional pictures.

BTW... I do plan to get some pictures of how the boat floor/front seat mount is designed so you can see that as well.  The two bench seats have two bolts each that screw into an "inset" piece in floor.  There are buttons on the bottom of the bench boxes so they don't sit directly on the floor and a whole inside each box bottom.. assuming so they will drain/dry out if necessary. Also, all box dimensions were taken on port side box.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:54:45 PM by catchnedge »
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'87 CVX-16 Outboard, '88 Johnson 120--
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
Excellent job! I can not believe how nice the original upholstery is!
I have a couple of questions off the bat.
First, I understand that the back bench seat bases are shorter on the outboard side because of the floor, but do they also get wider as the move aft? It appears in one pic that the base is 13" deep (inboard/outboard) fore and 14" deep aft? Not square retangles?
Looks like the flare out at the top too. Argh. Nothing is easy, is it?
Also it looks like the front seat sits on 2 glassed in pedestals?
Seat backs are supported only by those aluminum tubes attached to the seat base? I realize you havent spent any time sitting in there yet (or little) but does that feel sturdy?

More ? to come.
Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:30:56 PM by Rosscoe »
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »
Ross, good points needing clarification. (Use the same link above to view the additional 30+ pics)

- The bench seats are indeed taller on inside edge vs outside edge by design, approx 8" on inside vs 6" on outside edge (measured on outer edges of box), but not due to boat floor as it's perfectly level/flat.

- The bench seats do not get wider as you move aft, they are approx parallel at 13".  The aft edge, however,  is "angled"........    where the forward edge is squared off to match well with the front seats.  I'm glad you pointed that out because the picture I took of the aft edge was taken at the angle which made it appear to be longer at 14".  I took additional pictures... compare pics 83-86 and you'll see what I mean. There is a tiny "flare out" only on the top piece aft on inboard side.

- You're right... there are glassed in bases for the seats to lock into.  The channel fits over the front edge and then the aluminum tube locks into place aft.  A lot of leverage is placed on the aft tubes when the seats are tugged on to lift/get them out... definitely reinforce those if you build it the same.  I can tell they've been pulled out before on this boat.  The seat backs do feel relatively sturdy, just because they haven't been abused... but I can tell that this is an area I'm going to have to be careful with/ask passengers not to lean/pull on getting in/out of the boat.  Kind of like not letting people grab the windshield to pull themselves up out of a CV, CVX or GT seat... it's sturdy enough, just can't afford to abuse it.  The last measurement picture is how far back the front seat base is from just below the dash... so you can get an idea of placement for those fore and aft.  

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:47:07 PM by catchnedge »
Mark

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 07:40:50 PM »
Thanks for the clarification and all the great pics. I have copied most and will enlarge as necessary.
We are shutting down at work between Christmas and New Years so I'll have the week off and will likely pull the 61 in the shop. I'll probably start on the gel coat first, for some gratification (hopefully) and may start sawing up some plywood.
Looks like you are using your time off productively. You painted the inside of the boxes. What did you use? Anything special? I may not put bottoms in those rear benches. I do not really see a need. The upholstery in mine will never look like your original stuff I am afraid. The more difficult, the more expensive. We all know that!
Did you replace the hinges too or clean them up? They look like new so I assume they are new stainless units.
Thanks again Mark
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
Looks like you are using your time off productively. You painted the inside of the boxes. What did you use? Anything special? I may not put bottoms in those rear benches. I do not really see a need. The upholstery in mine will never look like your original stuff I am afraid.

Too much time off really.  I've been working real hard applying for jobs as well... I've had a few serious job interviews, one last week. Just as an example of what I've been up against... for this latest position there were over 100 applicants, they narrowed it down to the best 20 candidates for interviews. At least I got an interview!  But, it's not good enough to be well qualified, interview well, have the masters degree, etc... You have to be "THE BEST!"  I never can tell exactly how these things go... my wife says I'm my own worst critic.  I think I have a lot to offer a company, but I also don't think of myself as THE BEST!  I just gotta keep plugging away... it's very frustrating.  I give about 2-3 days a week into serious job hunt efforts, plenty of time for the Glastrons though :)

Paint is Rust-oleum oil based "V7586 SMOKE GRAY" off the shelf, was close to original color, and figured it would give a hard clean smooth surface.  I like the end product.  I guess the bottom of boxes, and being raised up on the buttons, will help to keep them and things inside high and dry if the floor/when the floor gets wet.  I've seen some pretty impressive upholstery work done that comes close to original... Grinder's CVX comes to mind.  Bet you could get em pretty darn close!  Good luck and share some photos of  your progress. 
Mark