Author Topic: Thinking about buying a Glastron Carlson C-537 Metric  (Read 4678 times)

Offline tjpainter

Thinking about buying a Glastron Carlson C-537 Metric
« on: July 31, 2018, 03:41:54 AM »
I'm new to this website but it's just what I've been looking for.  I have my eye on a Glastron Carlson C-537 Metric.  It's in very rough shape but I'd like to bring it back to life.  The original 470 motor is still in the boat but it doesn't run.  I think I'd replace the 470 with a newer 4.3 Mercruiser if I bought the boat. 

I'm looking for input, insults, suggestions, encouragement, discouragement... whatever you've got :-)  This would be a fairly big project so I'm devoting adequate time to ponder the decision.

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: Thinking about buying a Glastron Carlson C-537 Metric
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 05:40:32 AM »
Welcome,
That sounds like a fun project.
I say go for it, although that’s easy for me to say because it’s your time and money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »
Metrics are plentiful and cool, but not as sought after as the earlier Glastron classics.   The decision to purchase a boat is a tough one, getting into a project can be even more problematic.    First bit of advice, there is nothing more expensive than a free boat.   Peruse some of the rebuild threads on here for guidance related to restoring a boat to gain some insight as to what your getting into.   I can only speak for myself, but restoration work is something you do because you love doing it, there isn't tons of money to be made.   Most cases, your lucky to break even with the cost of materials.    As for the drivetrain, look for a complete running setup, it will save time and money.   A 470 to V6 conversion would be doable and a nice upgrade, but I'd investigate what is wrong with the 470 before committing to a drawn out adventure.   2nd bit of advice, money is made in the buying.  If your looking at a metric with soft skeleton, bad interior, locked up motor, and a trailer that needs attention, I'd be hard pressed to offer more than several hundred dollars.  A few things to consider is your budget, time, skills, and an area to do the work.  Will you have an area indoors to work over winter for instance.   One last thing, if at all possible, take someone with you that knows old glass boats, their insight could save you a lot of time, money, and headaches.     Good luck.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:22:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum !
Info and links here …       http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?board=7.0

What Mike said …
Has to be a "labor of love" on a "Very rough" project boat.
Can you post some pictures of the Metric ?

Offline tjpainter

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
Thanks to all for the good advice.  Don't have any pics of the boat yet... I'll take some if I look at it again.  I have a lead on a donor boat with a complete 4.3 Mercruiser drivetrain.  I'm working on a deal for the donor boat because otherwise the project will be much too expensive.

BTW, the stringers and the transom on the C-537 appear to be strong and in good shape but I would have the boat inspected by someone with more experience and knowledge than me for a final determination.  Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »
Do you know the year ? 
What color is it ?

" but I would have the boat inspected by someone with more experience and knowledge than me for a final determination. "

Trouble with that is .. on a very rough boat, the only way to tell how bad everything is, is to start ripping everything apart.
Expect the worst … and you won't be disappointed … LOL
And so starts the "Labor of love" … Because you'll have more into your boat then it's worth.

If gel / flake isn't to bad you can wet sand / compound / wax to a like new shine.
Removing old rotted wood is a dirty job, but not that hard if you have tools, time and a place to do it.
Redoing wood / glass is kind of fun, with a basic (materials) rebuild it's not that expensive. And if you can get some help from some friends / family would go almost easy !

Not sure if 470 motor mounts will work with a newer V6 motor, you might have to re-design mounts …
Motor cover might also need mod's to fit wider V6.

Very COOL boat .. Worth restoring !
People will walk right by brand new $80,000 ski boats to come over and tell you how COOL your boat is … 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »
1981 C-537
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 05:25:56 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »
1982 C-537