Author Topic: First run of the year and helping a fellow boater on the ramp!  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Bayflite73

We finally got the boat out on Square Lake yesterday and had a heck of a good time as well! I actually got her up to 41 mph for about 10 seconds as the lake isn't that big!

Then while we were waiting to load the guys next to me (double ramp) were having some problems. First off they jackknifed their trailer so I couldn't back mine in, then I noticed they still had the trailer strap securely on the boat. I decided to help at that point and it was a good thing. They pulled the boat out and the plug wasn't in. Got back in my car at that point. Then they took the trailer strap off AND the winch strap and backed down the ramp.... with their roller bunk trailer. The boat (looked like early 90's maybe) happily rolled halfway off the trailer with a crunch. Got it back on the trailer with half his extended family pushing from the stern and he and I cranking it back up. The guy was not a happy camper.

I felt sorry for him but heck we've all been there at one point or another right? I was happy to help the guy out and they were safely pulling away from the ramp as I left.
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline fireman24mn

Re: First run of the year and helping a fellow boater on the ramp!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
I was out on WBL yesterday and we were sitting on the sand point as well as a few other boats and I hear this guy yell for help. Look over and his single person speed boat is going under. by the time me and a few others got to him it was completely under we all drug it up to shore and let the bilge run for a while to empty it out. He tried to start it but water in the cylinders so pulled the plugs and shot the water out of the cylinders and then it fired wouldn't run very well water in the gas I'm guessing.
What had happened is his son was sitting in the boat and when he stepped on the back it filled with water (only sits about 2-3 inches out of the water) and went down like a rock good thing he was only in about 4 ft of water.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
Only 2-3 inches? Yikes!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
Oh man.  Can't imagine going through all that in front of family and friends waiting on a ride ...
Was going out by myself last summer.  Thought I had it down pat.  Pulled up to the ramp, yanked my straps, unplugged trailer lights, back in the car and backed down the ramp.  Unhooked the winch strap, gave her a small shove, climbed over and started up.  Motored over to the courtesy dock so I could tie up and go park the car and thought there was some hesitation.  Almost like I was trying to push too much weight.  Stood up so I could loop my ropes around the post and took a step back into ankle deep water.  Apparently having it "down pat" doesn't mean remembering the plug.  Gunned it back to the ramp, up on the trailer and pulled out of the water.  Left it sitting on the ramp with the a** end down so all the water could drain.  Very happy to not have done that in front of my wife and kids - poor suckers think I know everything.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
It's frightening how fast they take on water isn't it? I've only been out solo once (not counting the Red Wing meet as so many of us are around) and I almost think it's worse with the family there as the kids want to get going right away, the wife is stressed trying to wrangle them all and you're getting the "Are you ready yet?" questions before the boat cover is even off!

I actually would have forgotten my own plug yesterday had it not been for the Progressive Insurance key chain float from the boat show with the "remember your plug?" question printed on it! I may start clipping the plug to the keychain just in case!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »
A couple years ago we took our '54 Chev Panel truck and our '58 Glastron FireFlite Runabout to Prior Lake "Lakefront Day" Cruise and car show. A guy came up to us at the show and told us we had to bring the boat back Saturday for the boat parade on Saturday.
We talked about going to the Prior Lake parade all day. about noon it started to rain so we kept our eye on the TV to see how long it was going to last. The parade didn't start until 8 PM with sign in starting at 7. We had never been on Prior and wern't sure where we had to go, but it's not a big lake so it shouldn't be a problem. About 4 O'clock it started to clear and we didn't see anything new on the local radar. There was some stuff way out, but it looked like it would pass. We decided to go-for-it, and left about 5, with a stop for gas we got out to the boat launch a little before 6. Time to go to the bar where the parade was to start, and get something to eat. Put the boat in and after getting yelled at for making a wake at idle we got to the bar. we went in and ordered some mexican stuff with beans and rice. One of the locals came in with a 67 Crestliner Aluminum that looked good. It started to cloud up a little and Dottie went down to get our sweatshirts out of the boat so they didn't get wet. She talked to the guy with the Crestliner, he decided to head for home till it blew over, and left. As we were standing outside watching the clouds move in the Tornado sirens started blowing. We are both "skywarn Trained" as amateur radio operators we use to go out tornado spotting. I didn't see anything that even looked like much rain and it looked like it would blow over in a half hour. We sat down to eat our fiesta and the rain started. It got pitch dark outside and the rain got heavier. as we were eating the guy with the Crestliner came in. He had taken the boat home, and drove back to see if we needed help. I told him I thought we would be OK, after the rain stops we can bail the boat out and make it back to the launch. He told us this was just the first leg, the second would be worse. we decided to go get the car and try to make the other launch sight, about 1/2 mile from the bar. We were standing downstairs watching the rain when the lights went out. It was about that time when the waitress came down and asked if we had the purple boat tied to the dock. Yes, that's ours. Well she said I think you have a problem. we walked outside and all that was above water was the bow. All kinds of thoughts went through my head, the first was the whole damn boat was going to be setting on the bottom if we didn't do something fast. There was a small area where we could beach the boat next to the Bar if only we could pull it over there, but that would take 100 feet of rope, which we didn't have. All of a sudden one of the bus boys showed up with a garden hose. "will this work?" you bet. we tied the hose to the front of the boat and with three guys pulling on it we released the dock lines. As they were pulling it was going down fast. By the time they grounded it only the tip of the bow was above water. we got people on both sides of the boat. Compleat strangers wading in to pull this thing to shore. We made it, but I have an engine full of Prior Lake and the rain started again. we got it bailed out, and up on shore. David (the guy with the Crestliner) gave us a ride back to the car. He's going to meet us out there tomorrow to get it to the launch area so we can load it and get it home. I know the clete on the rear deck is missing, and I didn't see the tie down binders. We have had many hobbies in the last 38 years but this is the only one that either Dottie or I can remember that every time we go out something goes bad. Maybe I should take up knitting. I'm just bummed, maybe it will bw better tomorrow. It turns out we got somewhere between 4" to 5.5" of rain in about 45 minutes, and of course it all went to the stern and over the transom. Of course the parade was canceled. I wish I could have got some pictures, but at the time I had my hands full.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing that story Jerry. It's nice to remember that while the news focus' on the bad or whatever exotic thing is happening in Hollywood there are good people who will look out for each other when they need help! A garden hose as a tow rope? I would have never thought about that!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177