Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Heavy equipment made easy work out of splitting the halves!
General Discussion / 1979 Glastron HPV-175 Complete Restoration
« Last post by Green with Envy on Today at 10:29:32 AM »
I stumbled on this beauty on Craigslist back in October.  What a great way to get reacquainted with the club and become more active!

She offers the best of all worlds; fishing, cruising, open-bow lounging and beach accessibility.  Something that will compliment our 26' 'non-Glastron' Searay!

I got the top off and the hull gutted in under 10 hours.  Every piece of wood was either water-logged or disintegrated.  This is my fourth tear-down, so I feel comfortable saying that if the transom is soft, so is everything else! - exceptions apply.

I'll mostly post pics and maybe a caption or two here to document my progress, so if anyone has any questions or comments on my progress or sanity, please post.

Disclaimer: I don't plan this build to bring her back to life as a 'purist' Glastron, but I hope she will retain some of the old glory that the name represents.
General Discussion / Alpha 1 Gen 2 rebuild
« Last post by fireman24mn on Today at 10:14:08 AM »
As most of you know I need to rebuild my outdrive on the 23.  I am wondering if any one has researched gear sets, shafts, seals, etc. Looking for some advise for rebuilding my drive to handle the higher HP better.  If you have part numbers or things you have heard to do.

In searching the internet I dont find a lot other than stock merchandise gear sets.

Do you think it would be beneficial to have a gear set heat treated? Generally it seems that the upper gear set is the most common failure.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Nebraska Events / Meets / Re: December breakfast or lunch in Omaha
« Last post by 75starflight on December 11, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
One more bump. See everyone on Sunday!
General Discussion / Re: Timi time
« Last post by Green with Envy on December 11, 2017, 11:28:58 AM »
Have you decided to replace with wood, or composite?

I started my project and am using Plascore composite material on everything but the transom.

I'll start a new thread for my project, but here's a sneak peak at my progress from the weekend:

General Discussion / Re: Merc 90 i6 help
« Last post by Hyperacme on December 10, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
Most bolts broke off on (#20 in diagram) exhaust manifold cover.
« Last post by still_fishin on December 10, 2017, 01:14:06 PM »
I removed the same product from my intimidator.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

General Discussion / Re: Merc 90 i6 help
« Last post by Retro Performance on December 10, 2017, 09:36:55 AM »
Does this engine have a one piece block? In other words the cylinders are part of the block and the water jacket bolts on to allow cooling water to flow around cylinders? If that is true than water can only enter cylinder if a hole or crack exists in the block? Is number three the only one with water? Are you seeing water on the spark plug or evidence of steam cleaning on the piston? Would it  be possible for the water to be coming in thru a leaking exhaust plate gasket or maybe damage to the exhaust cover/plate from corrosion? I think you can pull the exhaust cover without removing the powerhead but like Hyper said, be ready for bolt issues.
« Last post by 75starflight on December 09, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »
Phoenix has that hard layer. I opted to repair it rather than remove it do to the hardness of the product used.
« Last post by Plugcheck on December 09, 2017, 09:52:33 PM »
That sounds like the product I'm dealing with, seems to be harder and more sense than most fillers.  Maybe an early version of seacast?  Sounds like the consensus is to remove it.  I have a couple of ideas, I'll post some pics tomorrow with what worked best.  Odd, my CVZ had no such product, 79 vrs 85 the difference?  Supposed to be 55 degrees, hoping to hotsy out the hull and prep for moving it to the repair cradle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10