Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: Motor overheating problem
« Last post by cv-19 on December 04, 2017, 03:11:33 PM »

That's what odd the manifolds are not hot. Tested it again today, has to have a bad gasket or head leakage. Bypassed the oil cooler just to see if it was the problem. Used a temp. gun and its 105 + - 2 degrees on both manifolds risers. The intake manifold
is 195 on one side by the temp. sensor and the other side is about 100. Got to be exhaust  getting in causing problem.
General Discussion / Re: CVX23 Project
« Last post by fireman24mn on December 04, 2017, 02:15:06 PM »
If I remember I went threw five, 5 gallon buckets of resin on my 23 rebuild. If changing and cutting transom I would add one more bucket. I also had to replace ALL the wood and re-core the front deck. As for thickness of the transom mine was two,  3/4 plywood boards and about 5/8 inch of glass/resin for a total thickness of about 2 1/8.

I think the 1,000 for floor and stringers is fairly close (wood, glass, resin).
My thoughts below.

Boat purchase & transportation (done)   $900.00
Outboard purchase & transport (probably Yamaha OX66 225hp)   $3,700.00
Outboard controls & cable   $400.00
8" Fixed Jackplate + 4" manual jackplate shipped   $350.00
Will I need new gauges?   $400.00                 Yes I believe outboard and inboard are different may be wrong. Mine new were about 200
Battery   $100.00
Stringers, floor, transom, wood etc,   $1,000.00
Paint or gel, fiberglass filler, etc   $500.00. I would add about 1,000 depending on color and if you are doing the whole boat. Sandpaper and tape add up quickly Try SPI Inc. for paint I used it on my last 2 restorations and it worked really good.
Paint / Gel spray gun & other tools   $200.00
Foam   $500.00 I can't remember what I spent but I don't think it was this much.
Labor for the places where I get stuck   $1,000.00
« Last post by Hyperacme on December 04, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
To do the transom on my CV16 cost about $400 ... Wood/2 1/2 gal. poly resin/fiberglass/measuring cups/catalyst/etc.
Your $1000 estimate is pretty low ...

Express Composites is the best !  Very helpful ...
http://www.expresscomposites.com/

A Seastar hydraulic steering system will run you about $1000.
SeaStar Solutions No Feedback Twin Cable Rack-and-Pinion Steering System will be about $500.

Not sure what mods would need to be done to stringers to turn it into an outboard.
General Discussion / Re: GT Jet Project
« Last post by fireman24mn on December 04, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »
When I flipped the 23 I needed a few more than 3. We just rolled it over on to some air mattresses & inner tubes then picked it up and carried it in.

However I dont think we needed as many as we had although it did make it easier.
General Discussion / Re: GT Jet Project
« Last post by nes-cv23 on December 04, 2017, 06:29:44 AM »
To flip it, the first thing is to get 3 buddy's and a come-a-long of some sort.. Connect the hoist or come-a-long to one of the tow hooks on the transom and one buddy on the other, other two up front. Lift it with the hoist doing most of the work, then when it was high enough to flip let the other 3 corners with the buddy's do the flip with the hoist holding it up. Then lower it back down. The gt wasn't realy that heavy just awkward. I also put ropes on all the other hooks so we had some to use as handles.
« Last post by carlsoncvx18 on December 03, 2017, 09:33:09 PM »
Ok thought you said they were normal to the touch.
« Last post by cv-19 on December 03, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »

Its that hot I can hear water boiling  when I turn it off.
« Last post by carlsoncvx18 on December 03, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
We'll certainly could be a head gasket for water in the the oil.

As for the overheating I would maybe suspect a gauge of temp sensor.

I also had a similar problem one time chased it for quite awhile ended up that the risors on the exhaust manifolds were plugged up, removal and a soaking in mutation acid cured the problem.

« Last post by Plugcheck on December 03, 2017, 08:57:40 PM »
Your estimate might be a bit low, but you can re coup some money selling the transom plate, manifolds, engine parts, etc.   Probably hang onto the trim pump till you know the final configuration.  Many parts can be found reasonably at swap meets, Craigslist, eBay and such.  Finish the tear out, then you'll have a better idea of what you need. 
« Last post by cv-19 on December 03, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »

Just checked the oil and it looks a little cloudy may have a little water in it. Problem maybe head gasket or cracked head . Wouldn't think it would run that hot being lake water cooled?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]