Author Topic: Help - Johnson trim fluid level  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
Help - Johnson trim fluid level
« on: July 23, 2010, 01:49:07 PM »

How do I check & fill the trim fluid level on my '92 Johnson 175?

Every time I try to open the fill cap, fluid runs out.  So that makes me think it is full.  However, the pump whines like it is pumping air instead of fluid.  I have to assist the motor to lift it up.  Several times I have had to loosen the release valve to lower the motor as the pump won't do it.  And, I just found a small puddle of oil under the boat.

I'll bet there is a proper procedure for checking & filling the fluid, but I don't know what it is.

Any help will be appreciated as we are planning to go out with family tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Eric

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Help - Johnson trim fluid level
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »

Offline V153

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
Proper procedure I believe is to: Raise the motor. Remove the trim fill plug & top it off with oil til it runs out/over the hole?

Incredibly, or by design, a lot of earlier T&Ts do not have a drain hole. Just a fill hole. Ya gotta take em off and turn em upside down to drain em.

Sounds to me like a water intrusion problem. H2O is leaking in & displacing the oil.

'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »
Well I think I cursed myself with a making a simple problem a lot more complex.

For some reason I thought it was necessary to loosen the 'manual release' valve 3-turns when trying to check the fluid level.  All that did was let the fluid run out and make a general mess of things. 

I ended up manually raising the motor with my 'Armstrong' power tool, and then supporting it with a small ladder.  I left the manual release alone.  I took the cap off and no fluid came out.  So I ran the up button while squirting more fluid into the reservoir.  It sucked it right up.  Suddenly the motor lifted off the ladder and ran all the way up!  I put the cap on the reservoir and that was that.  The motor goes up & down just fine now.

I think the cause of this was low fluid level.  I have occasionally noticed small fluid puddles under the motor.  I traced it back to....another stupid move on my part.  When storing the boat, I would lower the motor on to a block of wood.  I would then give it just a nudge of 'down' to firmly plant it in place.  My thinking was this would remove stress from the transom.  I don't think the hydraulics are designed to hold pressure in the down position and that is what was leaking out.  Recently I have left the motor off the wood block and supported by the hydraulics.  I have not seen any leaks since.

Now, to keep this thread on topic...  We are just about to head out make a run on the Columbia & Willamette rivers....  With my wife's family who are visiting from Mankato, MN.   :)

Thanks,
-Eric