Author Topic: If'n Y'all Like to Read:  (Read 6022 times)

Offline V153

If'n Y'all Like to Read:
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »
I'd reckon most of us are familiar with the 'Bourne' novels written by Robert Ludlum. What ya might not know is that Ludlum was a brilliant comedic writer as well.

"The Road To Gandalfo". And "The Road To Omaha", in particular, are hilarious. Check 'em out.
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Glastron_GT160

Re: If'n Y'all Like to Read:
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:25:14 PM »
Ironically, I watched Bourne Supremacy (again) on the tv just last night.  That is a series I enjoy.  I'll take your recommendation and check out those comedic books you mention.

From wiki...

The Road to Omaha is a novel by Robert Ludlum published in 1992. It is a sequel to his earlier book The Road to Gandolfo. Both are comedic thrillers concerning Army lawyer, Sam Devereaux, who gets caught up in the deranged schemes of General MacKenzie "The Hawk" Hawkins. The Hawk is seeking revenge after being unfairly drummed out of the United States Army at the start of the first book.

While the earlier novel was originally published under the pseudonym Michael Shephard, The Road to Omaha was released under Ludlum's name.

Offline V153

Re: If'n Y'all Like to Read:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
It's some really funny stuff.

The gist of it is: The Hawk discovers that a lazy little known tribe of Indians called the Wattanabe (they don't come out of their teepees if it snows ...) are in fact the rightful owners of the ground that NORAD sit's on/in. Stolen from them via a treaty which Hawk has found the evidence to prove was illegal.

Everyone from the President on down to a couple of muggers, both named Desi Arnaz btw, get involved. The cast is immense & the characters are all important. Which explains why it hasn't been made into a movie. Hollywood doesn't have that much imagionation. Or that many good actors ...?

'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP