Author Topic: CV-23 Prop Help...  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Hot Carl

CV-23 Prop Help...
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
Christmas is upon us and I figure I've been good enough this year to treat myself to a new prop. I'm not incredibly well-versed in the area, so I'd really appreciate your suggestions. The prop will be pushing a CV-23 with a Mercruiser 260...the prop that came with the boat is a 17p (yes, 17) stainless Michigan Wheel, and although it's great out of the hole my revs are obviously on the high side (I've briefly pushed it to 5,200+ a couple times). The previous owner claimed he used to put a 19p on it for more speed, but it seems a 21 would be a better choice. Any thoughts? I've been told the Laser II's work well on these mercruiser i/o's, but I haven't been able to find much info on the ol' interweb regarding these hulls and prop choice. I'm just trying to get the revs down a bit and, like most of us, more speed  ;D

I'm also looking for a pair of center rise manifolds, so if anyone has some laying around or knows of some for sale in the TC metro area please let me know!!

Thanks,
Alex     
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: CV-23 Prop Help...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:58:48 AM »
Might be best to do engine mods first then try some of the local guys props before buying one.

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:15:36 AM »
Proping out a boat can be a Trying effort to say the least, if you want to get maximum performance, and it also makes a difference in what ya want to achieve .. my boat is about the same hull, basically, but it's some what lighter, I try'd 16 or 17 props before I got one to work with.  Here's the scoop .. Mercruiser has done a Lot of testing to get maximum performance out of their props, no dought about that, but there are several props that are out performing the Mercury/Mercuriser designs and are more effecient for individual needs.  I prefer the three blade PowerTech prop, or the Enertia props for speed and performance, but for power and pulling a 4 blade works better, just not as fast, and takes a little more HP to twist them.

I'd think a 14 1/4 X 19 prop would be a good all around prop for your boat, but if you was not going to carry a load of people, or pull a tube, a 13 3/4 X 21 or maybe a 14 1/4 X 21 would get you a little more speed.  the PowerTech props have a lot of "lift" built into them as the come, as does the Enertia, but a good prop shop can put more "bow lift" in a prop for you, so you can lift the bow up and get a little more speed that way also.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »
Another prop I'd consider because your boat is bigger and heavier than most Carlsons, is a Mirage. Whether through a dealer, like Supreme Marine, or guys in the club, I'd experiment with a number of different props before buying something. Don't be like me and spend good money on a brand new Mercruy Enertia only to find out it's too much prop for your boat!

You could also go on the national site and see what other CV23 owners are running. Your the only CV23 onwer I can think of that regularly visits this site.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

GT150 JEFF

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 04:21:25 PM »
Alex I have a 23pitch Mirage you could try,  Probally to much for your boat.

I ran it on my boat before and after mods

switched over to a laserII worked out much better.

I agree with Red that there are more props out than just the Merc props

Would not run out and buy, beg, borrow or rent to find out what will work

Good luck Jeff

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »
Thanks for the response guys...I agree it's best to beg/borrow before you buy, I'm just trying to get some ideas. I've looked through the national site and done some google-magic, but I haven't been able to track down too much info on my specific boat.

Red - seeing that we have similar hulls, based off your findings, what 19 would you recommend as a good overall performer, giving the edge to speed over pulling?

Jeff - Thanks for the offer - I remember talking to you about your 23p on tonka and yeah, I think we both agreed it'd be too much. If you have any other ideas or some props just materialize in your garage please let me know  ;D

By the way, the weather here in MN blows. 
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »

( Red - seeing that we have similar hulls, based off your findings, what 19 would you recommend as a good overall performer, giving the edge to speed over pulling? )

I just talked to the prop shop... to my surprise, the PowerTech props only start at 23 pitch, but he dooes have an earlier version of the prop built with a solid hub, polished 14 3/4 X 19 that came off a 250hp Yamaha that is on a 21ft center console bass boat, weighing about 2600 pounds,running 55 / 58 mph, he will machine a thrust washer to fit the Mercruiser and sell it for $200. The prop has a good stern lift, as well some bow lift built into it.  He said he thinks the PowerTech props are built off the design of the Yamaha bass boat props.

My thoughts with the PowerTech props are this ... they have enough blade on them that the lab can, obviously, make them do what you want to do with them,  my prop made a couple trips to the lab to get the peak performance out of it, it's been twisted, ground on, cupped, rolled and balanced, and it will cut you if you don't handle it properly, done did that.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
Interesting stuff Red - thanks a lot for the insight and for talking to your shop. That prop's very close to what I'm looking for, and it's not even that pricey :)  I'm going to look around a bit more before I pull the trigger, but I'm definitely keeping that prop in mind. Thanks again!

Alex
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23